The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

We took a family trip to the comic store today and while I sometimes read some of Christopher's and even have a couple of my own I never really got too into it, but lately I decided I wanted something to read that didn't take days and comics might be just that thing.

So Christopher was real into the idea of me buying my own books and being a comic reader. He even got me my own swank initiation kit. I got the plastic bags and those little cardboard pieces for them and a small box for MY books!

Anway I came away with:

Civil War: 1 and 2

Preacher: Gone to Texas

and will be getting a hardcover of NYX and X23 soon.

Plus there is tons more I am interested in! So I had a lot of fun and am really into this now. I already want to buy more and I havent even read these ones yet.

The comic book world and wrestling world are almost exactly the same. They all telegraph their stories in advance so the internet can pick up on them, they feature downtimes and absolutely "must-see" times. I'm surprised more people don't talk comics here.

• Like 1

Civil War is what got me back into comics. I may or may not have told you that.

I just picked up the X-Men arc "The House of M" because I heard a lot of great things. I'm not a huge DC fan but I keep hearing amazing things about the "Infinite Crisis" storyline.

As for Civil War, I reccomend at the very least getting the Civil War: Front Line issues as side reading. Technically you can get away with just reading the main Civil War titles, but you get so much more out of it by reading the Front Line stuff as well. And if you got some cash, Spiderman.

Daredevil is an interesting read. I never cared much for him but I dove right in last month because I heard that Kingpin, Bullseye and Daredevil are all in prision trying to coexist so that sounded pretty cool and it has been.

So....yeah.

Spawn was what got me into comics way back when. I've never liked things like Spiderman or Batman, I always had a huge interest in the more "mature" comics and graphic novels.

So, anyone want to suggest some like that? I know the basics. Sin City, Preacher, Spawn. I'm looking for something... very mature. I can't really describe it.

Everyone should check out Y: The Last Man. You can download a pdf of the first issue here http://www.dccomics.com/features/ylastman/

Also here is a little about what the series is about. Found it on wikipedia.

Y: The Last Man is Vaughan's attempt to subvert the classic male fantasy of being the last man on earth. In the series, something (speculated to be a plague) simultaneously kills every mammal possessing a Y chromosome - including embryos, fertilized eggs, and even sperm - with the exception of Yorick Brown, a young amateur escape artist, and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand.

Society is plunged into chaos as infrastructures collapse and the surviving women everywhere try to cope with the loss of the men, their survivors' guilt, and the knowledge that humanity is doomed to extinction. Vaughan meticulously crafts the new society that emerges out of this chaos, from the conversion of the phallic Washington Monument to a monument to the dead men, to the genesis of the fanatical ultra-feminist Daughters of the Amazon, who believe that Mother Earth cleansed itself of the "aberration" of the Y chromosome, to male impersonators becoming valued romantically and professionally.

Over the course of their journey, Yorick and his friends discover how society has coped in the aftermath of the plague. However, many of the women they encounter have ulterior motives in regards to Yorick. Though the subject matter of the series is entirely serious, Y: The Last Man is also noted for its humor. Yorick in particular is a source of one-liners, although the other characters have their moments as well.

All of these comic book threads lately are almost making me want to start buying them again. We used to have a great place near my old home called "Comic Kingdom", had a great selection. I used to mis-pronounce it as a kid and call it Condom Kingdom by accident.

Anyway, I was always a big fan of the Punisher, Gambit, Ghost Rider, and X-Men in general.

I remember when I first started buying them, my first couple of comics were the Death of Superman stories. It involved guys like "The Man of Steel" and "Superboy" trying to fill-in for Superman. It was actually a great deal, I got four seperate comics of the four "Supermen" after Superman's "death". On top of that, there was a bit of a thicker comic that sort of tied all of the characters together.

I also used to have the complete "Jigsaw Puzzle" mini-series of Punisher comics. It was six issues detailing an ongoing battle with the villian Jigsaw. Probably some of my favorite stories ever, but unfortunately I only have half of them now.

Out of curiosity, what do comic books run these days price wise? I think I might just dig up my old stash.

I just picked up the X-Men arc "The House of M" because I heard a lot of great things.

... wait, seriously? From who? The general consensus is that House of M was overrated and took forever to get moving (though perhaps it can work in trade format).

I just picked up the X-Men arc "The House of M" because I heard a lot of great things.

... wait, seriously? From who? The general consensus is that House of M was overrated and took forever to get moving (though perhaps it can work in trade format).

Beat me to it. House of M was atrocious. Fantastic Four was the best book, but that ended up sucking after the last issue. House of M was just badly written, and in the end, a shitty storyline that served one purpose, which now seems to be being reversed.

Spawn was what got me into comics way back when. I've never liked things like Spiderman or Batman, I always had a huge interest in the more "mature" comics and graphic novels.

So, anyone want to suggest some like that? I know the basics. Sin City, Preacher, Spawn. I'm looking for something... very mature. I can't really describe it.

When you're 11, and all your friends are reading shit like Superman, Spawn is a "mature" comic. These days, it's not, it just deals with Heaven/Hell and has alot of violence.

I'm pretty much looking for comics with an anti-hero, much like Spawn is, The Preacher is, etc. Like an "R-rated" comic, you know?

Read anything by Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, and Mark Millar.

Mark Millar writes Civil War which I like and I've always loved Gaiman. Will have to look into the other 2.

Alan Moore: His best work in my opinion is his more mainstream stuff. When he goes indy he loses me almost everytime. From Hell, for example, bored the living shit right out of me. Kinda knowing your tastes, I'd recommend Swamp Thing (excellent stuff all available in trade) and Promethea which is also all available in trade and really quite excellent.

Neil Gaiman: 1602 was written by Gaiman, and it sucked massive amounts of ass HT. The best Gaiman is of course Sandman, available in trades. However the first issue of The Eternals is now out and it is quite good.

Warren Ellis: Very much hit and miss, but the biggest hits by far are Planetary, his short but stellar run on Hellblazer, and Fell is quite good as well. His Ultimate Marvel work is iffy.

Mark Millar: I personally add him in with JMS and Joe Quesada as the unholy trinity of evil that is ruining Marvel, howqever if you enjoy his work on CW then he has a number of works at Marvel that you might also enjoy.

My personal choices for you to try out:

Runaways from Marvel: Absolutely brilliant. There are two series out and I'd recommend trying the digest of Volume One first. It's like $8 for 8 issues. I really think you'll love it JHS.

Manhunter from DC: The best comic book DC is publishing today bar none. The first 6 to 8 issues are available in trade if you want to give it a shot. I have yet to meet one person who has given it a shot and hasn't loved it.

Starman from DC: This book ran 82 issues I think and it is one of the highlights of my personal collection. It is chock full of history for longtim readers, but James Robinson does a killer job of explaining everything so that even new readers to DC aren't lost. Again, the entire series is available in trade.

For anyone looking for good mature readers books I recommend:

Y The Last Man from DC/Vertigo: It was explained above and it is absolutely fucking great.

100 Bullets from DC/Vertigo: My personal favorite Vertigo series at the moment. What would you do if you were given a gun and 100 untraceable bullets to exact revenge on those that did you wrong in the past? That is the concept and it will blow you away.

Hellblazer from DC/Vertigo: It started in 1989 and is the longest running Vertigo book still going. With a very few rare exceptions, there isn't a bad issue in the 215 issue run, many of which are available in trade.

ANYTHING from Grant Morrison: Personal favorites include Seaguy, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, The Invisibles, and Seven Soldiers Of Victory. He is my Personal Jesus.

Above all else, buy what you enjoy, enjoy what you buy, and have a blast.

TGC

My first comics were Spider-Man and X-Force against Juggernaut, when Juggernaut singlehandedly toppled one of the World Trade Center buildings, followed by Spidey "dying" long enough to see the other side and fight Thanos one on one and wake up just in time to fight the Sinister Six. Great string of comics there. Oh, and X-Men 1-3, with Magneto and his Acolytes.

If nobody's mentioned Alan Moore's "Watchmen", I'm in deep shock. Truly one of the finest comics I've read. I tried to anjoy Art Spigelman's "Maus", but that's really depressing shit.

House of M was good, in my opinion. The core title was, at least. Real tense, made me feel like a war was coming, and when it hit...it petered out. Whatever, though. Cyclops leading everybody gets my vote for stroke of genius. Civil War is great, but I keep overlooking Frontline and there's just no way I could give a shit about Infinite Crisis...that's the most convoluted mess I ever tried to read.