The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

Ollie, pick up Splosion Man today. It's a bit like Meat Boy but probably not as rage inducing, unless you play it on Hardcore.

Eddie, I think Maxx at the time it came out was bitching for people to get TIT (ha!) so we should rope him in.

Lies, you're clearly mistaking that for any other multiplayer game ever.

So, thanks to Amazon's Black Friday sale, I finally talked myself into buying the 4GB XBOX 360 with a $60 gift card. Got Smackdown vs. RAW 2011 and will probably get NBA 2K11 when it goes on sale for Cyber Monday.

I have a few questions, as I've never used an XBOX in my life. First, is the 4GB version decent enough to download patches for games or DLC? I don't want to go crazy with downloading as I'll probably just use the system to mainly just play the games, but I want to make sure that it's enough space for stuff I might want to get for those two games.

Second, if I understand correctly, you get a free Live Gold membership for a month when you purchase the system, right? Is it really worth it to buy a membership after that? More than likely, I won't be playing online a lot, but I suppose I would like to play against people sometime. What's the pricing and length for the membership?

Third, and it ties in with the online part. Do I need a router or anything for my internet, or do I just simply connect to it from the system?

So, thanks to Amazon's Black Friday sale, I finally talked myself into buying the 4GB XBOX 360 with a $60 gift card. Got Smackdown vs. RAW 2011 and will probably get NBA 2K11 when it goes on sale for Cyber Monday.

I have a few questions, as I've never used an XBOX in my life. First, is the 4GB version decent enough to download patches for games or DLC? I don't want to go crazy with downloading as I'll probably just use the system to mainly just play the games, but I want to make sure that it's enough space for stuff I might want to get for those two games.

Second, if I understand correctly, you get a free Live Gold membership for a month when you purchase the system, right? Is it really worth it to buy a membership after that? More than likely, I won't be playing online a lot, but I suppose I would like to play against people sometime. What's the pricing and length for the membership?

Third, and it ties in with the online part. Do I need a router or anything for my internet, or do I just simply connect to it from the system?

First question: 4GB should be fine if it's those two games, as long as you don't go crazy downloading created wrestlers. I'm sure one of the fine gents with Smackdown vs. Raw could tell you how much space downloaded stories/wrestlers/what have you take up, though I'm guessing at most 20MB(and that's a high guess.) If you're going to get DLC for games such as Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Borderlands, or any game where the DLC is a decent chunk of gameplay/story, then you might want to upgrade as DLC for games such as those range anywhere from 100MB to sometimes 2GB. If you get Rock Band as well and want to get DLC(not that you will, just a heads up), each song is about 5-20MB. So just plan accordingly.

Second question: It really depends on what you're after. If you want to be able to play with your friends and such, gold is the way to go. Plus there are extras such as Twitter, Facebook, Last.fm, demos, and depending on where you live there is also Netflix/SkyeTV/ESPN. Pricing is a different beast, and depends on where you live. Current pricing in the US is 59.99 for a year, 24.99 for 3 months, and 7.99 for 1 month. I would suggest waiting until there is a sale on Xbox Live pricing, as yesterday on Black Friday they had 1 year of Xbox Live for 40 dollars, so just keep a lookout for sales.

Third question: Since you have the 4GB Slim, you have built-in wi-fi. You can also connect an Ethernet chord from your console to your router/modem if it's got the end for an Ethernet cable.

• Like 1

Thanks man, appreciate you taking the time out to help me. More than likely I will end up getting the 250 GB hard drive I've seen for it when I get some more money.

As for the wi-fi, I think I'm in an area that doesn't really have strong available wireless signals. Would I be able to detect the internet I already use in my house via the wi-fi or would I need a wireless router for that? If not, I'll probably just use the ethernet cable I have to connect.

If you are able to find a wireless signal on the computer you're using and that works ok, then it should be fine on the Xbox, as it has a built in wireless N adapter. Otherwise the Ethernet should work just fine.

This site is the Xbox network setup page and should help you get set up, since it probably explains things better than I could. Glad to help though!

• Like 1