What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Sadly enough I love Jason Statham but The Mechanic? really was kinda Meh for me. I thought it was a bit predictable and I really didnt feel any chemistry between him and Ben Foster.. thought Foster was a really weak choice here, and it kinda ruined the movie for me.

But I will second Brenchill's love for Black Swan.. that was an amazing movie! Portman so deserves the Oscar here!! Was more than a little disappointed that Kunis did not receive a nomination as I thought it was an incredible movie role for her.

Edited by darkrayne

The Fighter - not sure whether to give it an 8 or a 9. Definitely regret watching some shit downloaded version now - should've waited until it came out on DVD or something. But eh, I liked it a lot. It just didn't really "blow me away", which is kinda my criteria for loving films. Bale was fucking awesome though.

The Signal

Good idea in theory with a couple fun bits of horror, but awful, awful, awful execution. Terrible movie.

Red

Fun action comedy. John Malkovich is awesome in stuff like this and totally stole the show. Nothing spectacular or mind-blowing, but a solid thumbs up.

The Kids Are All Right

Just perfect. Julianne Moore is my favorite everything.

The Signal

Good idea in theory with a couple fun bits of horror, but awful, awful, awful execution. Terrible movie.

Red

Fun action comedy. John Malkovich is awesome in stuff like this and totally stole the show. Nothing spectacular or mind-blowing, but a solid thumbs up.

The Kids Are All Right

Just perfect. Julianne Moore is my favorite everything.

I loved The Signal overall. Always thought it was a decent film

Just finished Paranormal Activity 2. I guess it was okay. Not nearly as good as the first one, not even close, rather slow and plodding, but it got better in the last 15 to 20 minutes. However I was not fond of the ending at all. 6/10

Second act killed The Signal for me. Going from spooky horror, to slapstick horror comedy, back to horror, then to a plodding "vague" finish just kept me from getting invested in the movie. I liked the idea of three directors on three segments and the "message" could've been a story worth telling, but it just never came together for me.

The bug spray scene was awesome horror though.

The Book of Eli

Pretty silly, but watching Denzel kick all sorts of ass was fun, I liked the reveal at the end too.

I fucking love this film. It wouldn't normally be my thing, and it's silly as anything, but Denzel is great as a near-silent bad-ass, Gary Oldman hams it up and chews scenery as if the only preparation he did for the part was reading the word "villain", the reveal/twist is wonderful and while I was kept guessing all the way through, it took me until that moment to actually figure out exactly what said twist was, but once you know it there are loads of hints you'll pick up the next time....amazing supporting cast, from Malcolm "keeps showing up in post-apocalyptic futures" McDowell to Tom Waits to even a gun-wielding Michael fucking Gambon.....honestly, I can't imagine anyone not loving this film. It's wonderful.

Stuff I've watched in the last few days...

True Grit

Really liked it, I wasn't sure about Matt Damon as LaBoeuf early on but he grew on me, and the scene with the bear skin felt a bit out of place, but apart from that I have no complaints. I preferred the ending in this one as well. Hailee Steinfeld was awesome - and I realise that there's a bit of gamesmanship with nominating her for the best supporting actress, but Mark Kermode was right when he said that if she's a supporting actress then Damon is the leading actress in the film.

Le Donk & Scor-Zay-Zee

I'm a big fan of Shane Meadows, so this was a bit of a let down. It's worth seeing for Paddy Considine's performance, but overall I think it was a bit too short and ended far too abruptly.

The Town

Really well put together film, Affleck's a vastly better director than he is an actor. Nothing amazing or groundbreaking, but I'm definitely going to check out Gone Baby Gone as well.

Paranormal Activity Two

Okay, so I recently saw the first installment in the rumored trilogy, and well the film didn't live up the hype that has been built up about it, it was a decent flick that could make wonder what really goes on at night when you go to sleep, with a tight, somewhat over the top (for what it was trying to play its self out to be, a true story) final twenty minutes or so. Hell, the metaphor of a young couples first house (and worries) being a demon although not original, seemed fresh in the way it was done.

So along comes part two, which is supposed more intense, disturbing and scary then the original... and it falls flat, on just about every attempt besides one quick "boo scare", hell the "demon" being a metaphore for the worries for a married couple that just had there first child (together), fails on this outing as well. So now I find myself sitting here wondering, whats so "scary" about these movies? Maybe I'm missing out because I usually don't get to see movies in the theatre, with a huge group of people ready to be scared shitless..

I, for one, am all Paranormal Activitied out. If they make a part three (and they will), that will be it, because after just two installments, this series is already losing alot of the creativity it brought to the genre.