Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

Get Final Fantasy VIII.

Yes the new ones obviously contain better graphics but the storyline and the connections that you'll make with the characters are fantastic in VIII. (Same with VI actually, I loved that game to).

I also think the various towns have so much more character in VIII then the other games that follow, I'll never forget my first visit to Esther City and being blown away by it after coming through the dessert or when the school crashes into Fishermans Horizon and seeing a place that is so different to other towns you have visited.

On another sidenote to Final Fantasy fans where is your favourite town/city out of any of the games?

I'm going to go with Lindblum from 9 just because you see it in many different states over the 4 discs. I also like Rabanastre from XII just because of the graphics really and the size of the place.

Edited by Sam

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved VII when I played it, but the end pissed me off. I didn't know it was the final boss, so I was all like 'Knights of the Round' followed by 'Omnislash... BITCH', and it was like 'yay, you win!', and I was like 'wtf, thats it?'.

Catsith rules though.

VIII is probably my favorite, although I cheated like a bitch with the '1000 pts for each level' shit. Hell, Squall was level 70 before I finished the second disk.

X probably has my favorite characters overall, mostly because of Rikku. Blitzball was cool too.

X-2, I've never finished, because its just too stupid for me. I hate the dress sphere shit.

XII is cool, but too much like Star Wars, although it does have Balthier, so it gets some points for that.

Favorite FF characters, in order...

Rikku

Catsith

Yuffie

Balthier

Vincent

My favorite city is probably either Luca, or Balamb, if you include the Garden. The one in VII that Red XII is from is cool too.

Edited by DMN

Guest Basquiat

Actually, as much as I rip on Final Fantasy VII, Midgar was probably my favorite locale in the series. It was such an awesome idea. I thought the first few hours of VII were really good, actually, when it was just the main characters against the big corporation in the city that was the ultimate Marxist nightmare--a huge lower class literally kept beneath the upper class. Shinra knew how to be evil, crushing parts of the city and all that. Once Sephiroth showed up, I just flat-out got off board, which is odd because he's the one the fanboys seem to drool over.

Right, most of you have probably heard my Final Fantasy opinions countless times already, but here we are:

VII is the best. I don't care what you say. The storyline's fantastic and goes far more in-depth than any other game in the series (just touching the surface, how many people played it through and never realised that the "Sephiroth" they kept seeing was really Jenova? And that's just one tiny thing, before I go in to optional flashback sequences, alternative explanations and symbolism), it's chock-full of fantastic characters, eminently playable, incredible soundtrack...need I go on? And saying the graphics are "typical of early PS games" is hardly a worthy criticism, it is an early PS game. It's ten years old! And Sephiroth burned down the lead character's hometown, so it's not just like "Oh, he killed one person". He destroyed your hometown, killed your girlfriend, got inside your head and made you question your own existence, then plotted to destroy the entire world for his own personal gain. Pretty evil to me. As great as Kefka was as a maniacal villain, I'd rather see the more psychological elements of Sephiroth, and his relationship with Cloud and with Jenova, than to see Kefka's "LOLZ, I R Teh EVIL!" act.

Who said FF8 had stronger characters than 7? Bahhh! Bullshit. The characters are horrible in FF8. How can you slag off Cloud and like Squall? Squall is just moody Cloud distilled into a grumpy teenager, he's the least likable central character in any Final Fantasy game, Selphie is Yuffie-squared (that's not a good thing), Irvine is Edgar in a cowboy hat....the characters are just dull and horrible, the plot seems like it was made up as they went along (Oh, right, yeah...erm...you all knew each other as kids, right? Why don't we remember? Erm....GFs? Yeah, they affect your memory. Or something. Bollocks.). The battle system is fucking dreadful (and again, the criticism that characters were indistinguishable in battle in FF7 can be levelled just as heavily, if not moreso, at FF8), drawing and junctioning, magazines, weapon building, it's all a load of shite, and all too fiddly. The first disc seems to entirely consist of "go here. Then here. Then back again to change your uniform. Then go back where you were before." ad nauseum. And the final battle's a bastard. And half the secrets are IMPOSSIBLE to figure out on your own, you NEED a strategy guide, which defies the point, really. Oh, I should've known that I had to talk to that entirely insignificant lake on the World Map, followed by a random forest, it's SO OBVIOUS. Cock that.

FF9 was the last great Final Fantasy, in my eyes. Playing it after everything that's happened since is the best way to enjoy it, because it really feels like a send-off to the more "traditional" Final Fantasy series, it's chock-full of references to earlier games, its the most fun and cartoony, while still having a suitably dark undercurrent to its story, the characters are great (who doesn't like Vivi? Come on!), the Black Mage Village actually moved me to tears with their adorable naivety (the Black Mage talking about how the sunlight's really pretty, but it hurts his eyes. That was it for me. And then the graveyard. Bless 'em.), I hated Kuja first time round, but now I think he's bad-ass despite his bizarre androgyny. There's also a big difference to other Final Fantasy games, in that the previous games in the series were all universally about the concept of hope, while the main overarching concept in IX seemed to be almost a complete hopelessness; like no matter what you did, it was never enough, you COULDN'T save the world, you couldn't make things better. And that was fun. I also like how, unlike most Final Fantasies which are almost entirely about the central character, with flashes of backstory for the others, the majority of FFIX seems to be about Vivi and Garnet, as Zidane's so tight-lipped about his past, and it isn't until relatively late in that Zidane starts to be explained, and by that point there's the obvious corelation with Vivi's story, and with the Black Mages. Lovely.

Edited by Skummy Guðmundsdóttir
  • Like 1

If we're still talking about fav. towns and such....I'd have to say Midgar from FF7, Fisherman's Horizon/Deling City from 8, Alexandria from 9, and Besaid from 10.

And in my opinion, the only thing more over rated than FF7 is KH/KH2. I don't get what is so great about the games, why everyone loves them so much (Although, it is mostly girls...). The only part of the KH games that I actually enjoyed was when Cloud and Leon/Squall stood back to back and were ready to fight...I marked out for that one.

Guest Basquiat

And in my opinion, the only thing more over rated than FF7 is KH/KH2. I don't get what is so great about the games, why everyone loves them so much (Although, it is mostly girls...). The only part of the KH games that I actually enjoyed was when Cloud and Leon/Squall stood back to back and were ready to fight...I marked out for that one.

FF6 and FF9 are the only truly amazing Final Fantasy games, in my opinion. I did spend a lot of time with 7 and 8, but the rest are all "meh" to me. 6 is truly an amazing game, with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound being the only superior RPGs I can think of.

VII is great, I just highly dislike Cloud and Sephiroth. I like just about everyone else though. That's why I had to give up on VII though, Cloud. Story was awesome, I just hated that pointy haired bastard.

Now IX is a game you can't go wrong with. Much better characters, especially Zidane and Vivi. Can't remember story that well, I jut remembered liking it.

And my personal favourite: Tactics. Fairly decent graphics, extremely bad translations (Black Mage = Wizard!!?? WTF!!??), a story that had around a million plot twists and was nearly impossible to follow, yet it's my favourite game of all time. Even though it was very complex, I did love the plot. Hell, the ending made m cry. I don't know...maybe I'm jut retarded...

And as for the 2D FF games, VI is the best in my opinion.

'Golden Age' Final Fantasy (I thru VI) are all extremely hit and miss depending on, more than anything, personal preference. Many people tout six as the best, my personal favourite is four, if only for the fact it uses the job classes I most love. The best story is probably VI though, but without modern graphic, I find none of them really deliver a strong emotive response for me, perhaps that's just me being a modern gamer.

'Silver Age' Final Fantasy (VII thru IX) are, once again based on personal opinion, but note, you can't really miss with them, it's rare you'll hear someone bad mouth them as a whole, I find they usually dislike minor parts of the game. My favourite is IX, it combines the great steampunk style of the Golden Age with improved graphic of the Silver Age and a storyline which is basic, but quite clever when re-played.

'Bronze Age' Final Fantasy (X thru XII), this is where I come into conflict with most other people, I love X and X-2, I dislike XI and XII. X is as near to a flawless game as you can get, I can understand people knocking on the other games flaws, but X is phenomenal for every second. X-2, I liked the battle system, the storyline was below average, let me rephrase that, it was rubbish by Final Fantasy standards, but it's a fun game if you want nothing more. XI I disdain because I dislike online RPG's, and XII takes so much levelling up it makes me scream.

Benj basically said my opinions... except for the Golden Age FFs >_>

My favorite locales in the series are:

FF7: Midgar

FF8: Esthar (btw, how do you guys pronounce that?)

FF9: TIE - Lindblum & Black Mage Village.

FFX: Luca

FFX-2: Besaid

FFXII: Rabanastre, I guess... I haven't beaten this one yet. >_>

FF8: Esthar (btw, how do you guys pronounce that?)

Ess-Th-Ar, that's how I've done it, then again, I was wrong on the pronunciation of chocobo, Tifa and Yuffie, so I'm not reliable for that.

My personal favourite locations are probably Luca and Midgar, for two very different reasons obviously. There's one I always love when you get there, but the time spent there is minimal so I tend to overlook it, but Burmecia from FFIX is exquisite, I tend to wonder what it looked like before it was destroyed.

I think I have to restart my XII game soon because I haven't played it since mid-February due to my PS2 being here during school and then working too damn much right now.

VII and IX are my favourites by far of the PS1/2 games with XII and VII close behind and X behind them all. I'm not saying X is a bad game, it probably had the best battle system to date but I didn't like the linear part of it, which also drags a bit in XII, but atleast you can go a different route if you want.

Lindblum is probably my favourite locale in the whole series so far with ViVi, Auron, Balthier and Basch being the best characters. Zell is the one who gets on my fucking tits.

Which is the one with the pirate ship, where you end up having a fight with someone as part of a theatre production?

That's the only one I've ever played. And I played very little of it. I'm a pathetic excuse for an RPG geek :(

Six, and you fight Ultros the purple octopus ^_^

Guest Basquiat

You do have to admit, though: Tifa's tits were too big. :P

So basically you dislike Final Fantasy for the sheer sake of disliking it then? >_>

Edited by Basquiat