Doctor Who

Benji

Would that be the first time there's been an episode with no Doctor whatsoever? Seems like a pretty big gamble to me.

Not really, the companions are big enough personalities, Captain Jack carries his show, Rose is beloved by all, Martha essentially had a lone episode in last seasons ender (though admitedly it was a way below par episode) and Donna would make a good 'companion-companion'.

I enjoyed it after a shaky oopening twenty minutes or so. It was reminding me too much of the horrible Shakesphere code episode from last year, but then the last twenty/twenty five minutes were very good, and some of the effects of the volcano errupting were epic.

Weak start, very good episode overall.

And next week, we have the Ood~!!!

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

I loved that episode. Maybe it was just because it wasn't set in the present day, but it felt much more like a "classic" Doctor Who episode than anything else I've seen in the "new" Doctor Who so far, and I liked the references to Gallifrey and to galactic law, and that's two references to galactic law in as many episodes, as well as a brief description of exactly what it is that Time Lords do, which has me thinking that something to do with Gallifrey or Time Lords or what-have-you may pop up this series - either in the finale (Time War?) or perhaps in the Doctor's Daughter episode, whatever that is. Oh, and the soothsayer type bloke saying "she's coming back" or whatever it was made me go "The Rani!" for the second time this series, before immediately thinking "hang on, no, Rose."

I still don't like Catherine Tate, but the Donna character has her moments, mostly it's nice to see a slightly older, mouthier assistant who's not afraid to argue with the Doctor or answer back, rather than just meekly following him everywhere or playing damsel in distress.

"I'm the marble inspector."

Oh, and is that the nearest the Doctor's come to firing a gun? :P

Edited by Skummy

I just thought the old fella with the stone arm was such a throwback to old school Doctor Who (hamming it up like a trooper) it was really quite cool. Probably the best historic one I've seen of the newies so far

Picked up the "New Beginnings" boxset today (The Keeper Of Traken/Logopolis/Castrovala; the return of The Master and Tom Baker's last storyline arc), and while some of it is quite good, it's just reminded me how much I hate Adric. Little cunt.

Fucking LOVED that episode, everything felt right, the bit with the "every song must end" has me severely confused though (good thing), I'm assuming it means him being the lone Time Lord, since the song was one of loneliness.

Also, the new Sontarans look fucking badass, I approve.

Fucking LOVED that episode, everything felt right, the bit with the "every song must end" has me severely confused though (good thing), I'm assuming it means him being the lone Time Lord, since the song was one of loneliness.

I don't think it was do with him being the last Time Lord - the way the Doctor responded, it seemed far more like it was foreshadowing something, like he knows something is amiss because of that...it reminded me in some way of The Watcher arriving to pre-empt Tom Baker's regeneration. And I wouldn't say that regeneration is "nothing", I'm assuming it'll still hurt like fuck for him to "die" in the first place, not to mention knowing he has a limited number left, and the whole process has been put across as being fairly traumatic in the past - it's not something he'd shrug off, by any means.

Not to mention that it was a song of captivity, rather than of loneliness. But I don't think they were implying any parallel between the Ood's situation and the Doctor's situation; perhaps it'll come time for the Doctor to stop his travels? Perhaps the return of Rose, or of Martha, could make him not want to lose them again, and have him decide to stay in one place for once - meaning that his travels, his "song", will have to end - only for a massive threat (i.e. Davros) to force him "out of retirement".

Complete speculation, I haven't the foggiest.

Anyway, loved this episode. I get the feeling that this series is very much Russell T. Davies making Doctor Who the way he's wanted to since the beginning...the last series was getting there, but this series feels so much more like classic Doctor Who stories, it's as if they've proven to the BBC that it's still a big ratings show even with all the sci-fi wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff in there, and been given a lot more free reign this time around. I liked the fleshing out of the backstory for The Ood, but while it was a nice (if a little preachy and sappy) ending, it also felt kind of a shame - if The Ood are all lovely now, they're essentially written out of having any useful role in the series' future, and I feel they really should be building up strong new villains, as even though it's great to see the old favourites come back from time to time, it would really help the series to cement some recurring new faces on the villain's side of things for years to come.

That said - Sontarans and UNIT next week! Hurrah!

The bees disappearing...that's the odd buzzword recurring theme type thing, not sure where that's going yet. I know Einstein said that "man would have only four years of life left" if all the bees were wiped out, and there was a news story some time last year about how radiation from mobile phones could be killing off Britain's bee population. Clutching at straws, and no idea what it'd all mean in a Doctor Who context.

Also, interesting tidbit, in "The Doctor's Daughter", apparently the title character will be played by the daughter of Peter Davison. I'm really intrigued by this episode, and I think it's either going to be an absolute disaster or a great step forwards for the new series to do something genuinely daring and interesting with the franchise - the amount of uproar about the concept of the Doctor as a sexual being, it's going to be a difficult one to get right, but could be brilliant...and if this series so far is anything to go by it will be...not to mention it could well FINALLY explain Susan. And hasn't he already hinted that he's a father over the past couple of series? Looking forward to it, anyhow.

Well, they started the new season - sort of; first episode will air next week, actually - of Doctor Who on the Sci-Fi Channel last night, airing the Christmas special. And damn, was it depressing!

I've watched a few British comedies on public television, so I got a kick out of seeing the actor who played Lionel on As Time Goes By as the ship's captain (The only other thing I've seen him in is the Bond movie Goldeneye) and the actor who played Richard Bucket (pronounced "Bouquet") on Keeping Up Appearances as the tour guide\historian.