What Did You Read Today?

RoyWill Rumble

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

I have read like 200 pages so far and its about interactions between five different characters including a mute, a cafetaria owner, a 12 year old girl, a black doctor and a well versed person who's mad at everything. Its set just before World War 2 i think, though I haven't come across an exact time yet.

It's nice, difficult to put down certainly. It gets interesting as it goes on.

I read and finished Meat Market: Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting a month ago. It's a good read, though not too surprising about how division 1A programs go after recruits. It follows the University of Mississippi program over the course of a year from after signing day 2006 to signing day 2007. I'll spoil the fact that the head coach of the team, Ed Orgeron was fired after the 2007 season after not beating any team in the SEC.

I'm currently reading the book about Bruiser Brody, and am enjoying it.

I just finished reading The City Of Ember. It was recommended by a friend a while back and I got it yesterday and have been reading a lot. It's a very enjoyable, yet short book about people who live in an underground city. I have to get the next book, People Of Sparks to stay ahead of the curve. The film for this book will be out October 10th, I hope it goes well at the box office.

Just went through the entire Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook. The first three books were a fun read, but were nothing special. However, I think the series really shines when it comes to the books of the south, where Cook actually gets around to developing most of the characters, and he does a really good job of creating a sense of camaraderie amongst them. Recommended for anyone looking for a fantasy series that isn't another copy of LOTR.

• 2 weeks later...
Just went through the entire Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook. The first three books were a fun read, but were nothing special. However, I think the series really shines when it comes to the books of the south, where Cook actually gets around to developing most of the characters, and he does a really good job of creating a sense of camaraderie amongst them. Recommended for anyone looking for a fantasy series that isn't another copy of LOTR.

Would you recommend it to someone who isn't really into spells and sorcerers and magic shit but more into medieval-style fantasy (eg. A Song of Ice and Fire)? I've Wiki'd it and it mentions this kind of stuff (without wanting to spoil it for people), but is it overbearing in any way?

Consider A Wheel of Time is borderline for me (mainly let down by poor writing than content :shifty:).

Edited by Zaz

Would you recommend it to someone who isn't really into spells and sorcerers and magic shit but more into medieval-style fantasy (eg. A Song of Ice and Fire)? I've Wiki'd it and it mentions this kind of stuff (without wanting to spoil it for people), but is it overbearing in any way?

Consider A Wheel of Time is borderline for me (mainly let down by poor writing than content :shifty:).

It depends. There's a fair amount of sorcery involved, but it focuses far more on military warfare than the magic. Not so much on the giant backstabbing roulette like in ASOIAF though.

Over the last two weeks, I've finished Catcher in the Rye which really lived up to its recommendations. Go read it now!

The Brief Wondrous(sp?) Life of Oscar Wao was quite interesting as well. I started A Clockwork Orangebut then returned it to the library. I just didnt get into the book.

So I've almost finished the first book of the Wheel of Time, and I'm a tad divided in my opinion at the moment.

On the one hand, the story is great, and the characters are mostly extremely well described and developed (even though my favourite has already been killed off, or so it seems...). One or two are standing on the thin line between Annoying Heel and X-Pac (I'm looking at YOU, Nynaeve!), but I haven't met a character that I actually groan a little when they appear yet (like in most other books. I'm looking at YOU, Lugo).

On the other hand, the writing does get a bit tedious sometimes (if he uses the word 'placid' to describe Moiraine ONE MORE FUCKING TIME, I will... not do anything, since he's already dead. But still...), and some of the names are just terrible. Still, I'm loving it so far, over all.

I've been reading Stephen King's "The Stand" for a while now. While it started too slow to my liking, and kinda dull, I'm glad I stuck with it, because it's really catching my interest ever since

the communities were founded by Mother Abagail and Flagg.
I just recently started the final chapter ("The Stand"), about a hundred pages to go, hope to finish it by the end of the week.

The Stand is great for the first 98% of the book. But then the Stephen King Syndrome hits and the ending is :bang:

So I've almost finished the first book of the Wheel of Time, and I'm a tad divided in my opinion at the moment.

On the one hand, the story is great, and the characters are mostly extremely well described and developed (even though my favourite has already been killed off, or so it seems...). One or two are standing on the thin line between Annoying Heel and X-Pac (I'm looking at YOU, Nynaeve!), but I haven't met a character that I actually groan a little when they appear yet (like in most other books. I'm looking at YOU, Lugo).

On the other hand, the writing does get a bit tedious sometimes (if he uses the word 'placid' to describe Moiraine ONE MORE FUCKING TIME, I will... not do anything, since he's already dead. But still...), and some of the names are just terrible. Still, I'm loving it so far, over all.

Yeah, agree about the writing. It's a bit... amateurish at times and left me going 'Huh?' at a couple of points. It also seems a bit too 'typical' fantasy, especially the first book (I've only read the first two so far, so I'm not sure where it goes after that).

Edited by Zaz

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was 'amateurish', especially given some authors out there (anyone tried to read a book by CS Goto?), but he tends to go into lavish detail where it's only mildly appropriate, and then skip over bits that would've been handy to know. For example, you don't find out Perrin has shoulder-length curly hair until about chapter 30, when he meets Elyas. I like to picture characters in my mind, and it's annoying when I have to completely revamp them.

He does that quite a bit actually, now that I think about it. He'll suddenly tack on something that was never mentioned before that changes things slightly. Rand suddenly has tanned skin and dark eyes when it's appropriate and sticks out in the Two Rivers like a sore thumb; before that all we'd known about him physically was that he was a bit taller than the other two. He also seems to be gay for Mat, which is the same problem Frodo had with Sam. His description of Perrin also varies between fat lummox and chiselled WWE Superstar depending on the situation, too.

Then, just as everything is going well, he'll come up with something so pathetically crap, you wish you didn't like the rest of the book so much and could put it down. Things such as

The Ogier Waygates and Moiraine's apparent Aura Of Impenetrable Awesome that just so happens to extend exactly as far as needed for the plot at the time, and her ability to be able to seemingly do anything at all to make the Fades go away or not notice them, but 'only for a limited time'. Ever since Caemelyn, I can't seem to be worried for them when she's around any more, she seems to be able to solve every Fade/Dark One/Trolloc-related problem with some mysterious ward that is never actually described at all.

I still like it overall though. Sort of.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Things such as
The Ogier Waygates and Moiraine's apparent Aura Of Impenetrable Awesome that just so happens to extend exactly as far as needed for the plot at the time, and her ability to be able to seemingly do anything at all to make the Fades go away or not notice them, but 'only for a limited time'. Ever since Caemelyn, I can't seem to be worried for them when she's around any more, she seems to be able to solve every Fade/Dark One/Trolloc-related problem with some mysterious ward that is never actually described at all.
Don't worry. These problems almost resolve themselves as the story progresses... :P The only place I felt WoT struggled was in Winter's Heart.

About to start re-reading The Redemption Of Althalus, as soon as I finish Elephants On Acid and other Bizarre Experiments...

Things such as
Don't worry. These problems almost resolve themselves as the story progresses... :P The only place I felt WoT struggled was in Winter's Heart.

About to start re-reading The Redemption Of Althalus, as soon as I finish Elephants On Acid and other Bizarre Experiments...

The Redemption Of Althalus does prompt a re-read. Had to read it three times since the first read a few years ago. Same could be said of most of Eddings books for me however.

I finished Diamond Of Darkhold recently after getting interested in the Ember series by Jeanne DuPrau. Unfortunately, I have read the first book (City Of Ember), the third book which is actually a prequel (Prophet Of Yonwood) and then the final book. I've missed out on People Of Sparks, but fully intend to read through in the correct order when Waterstone's get the last one in. The only problem I have on with these books, on reflection is: *spoilers for the series I think*

It's their intended audience of children. Unlike the Harry Potter books, the author didn't adapt at all. There are so many things that could have been much more explored. These people have never seen rain before leaving Ember, never been in the sun (so should be very pale) and they've little concept of the things outside their world. These things would have allowed for another 300 pages in each book. The hardships would have strengthened the Emberites. Meanwhile in Ember, more of the "Builder Religion" even when leaving Ember some people such as Mrs. Murdo would retain their faith.

After People Of Sparks, I will need a new fantasy series, and I'm thinking the Eragon books, unless anyone else has suggestions?

After People Of Sparks, I will need a new fantasy series, and I'm thinking the Eragon books, unless anyone else has suggestions?

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, unless you have an unnatural aversion to historical fantasy. I can't bring myself to read Eragon. Juvenile fanfic with big publisher backing is still just juvenile fanfic.

I'm about to finish Fire by Sebastien Junger (author of The Perfect Storm). It's a non-fiction compilation of articles about dangerous jobs and war-torn regions. The last article deals with Bin Laden and the Taliban and was originally published mere months before 9/11, and still offers insights I haven't seen picked up elsewhere.

I'm also still easing my way through House of Leaves, which isn't an easy read but is certainly rewarding.

I loved The Jungle. I seriously need to reread that.