UFC News and Discussion Thread

The heavyweight divisionhas been in shambles as of late.

Here is what happened with the title since Tim Sylvia won it and so on...

-Tim Sylvia defeated Ricco Rodriguez at UFC 41 to win the Heavyweight Title.

-Tim Sylvia was stripped of the title after admiting to taking steroids.

-Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski were set to go at it for the vacant belt at UFC 47, but Sylvia once again had contraversy with steriods right before the fight. Cabbage Correira replaced Sylvia on short notice, however, the Cabbage/Arlovski fight was not for the title. Andrei won the match.

-Then it was supposed to be Arlovski vs. Slyvia AGAIN at UFC 48, but Arlvoski got injured and Frank Mir was put on the card instead. Mir beat Sylvia and won the vacant title with a brutal armbar early in the fight, breaking Tim's arm in the process.

Now this. Intesting to see what happens after this. It's clearly going to be Andrei vs. somone, but who? And if it's Ken Shamrock, I'll flip.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

The heavyweight divisionhas been in shambles as of late.

Here is what happened with the title since Tim Sylvia won it and so on...

-Tim Sylvia defeated Ricco Rodriguez at UFC 41 to win the Heavyweight Title.

-Tim Sylvia was stripped of the title after admiting to taking steroids.

-Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski were set to go at it for the vacant belt at UFC 47, but Sylvia once again had contraversy with steriods right before the fight. Cabbage Correira replaced Sylvia on short notice, however, the Cabbage/Arlovski fight was not for the title. Andrei won the match.

-Then it was supposed to be Arlovski vs. Slyvia AGAIN at UFC 48, but Arlvoski got injured and Frank Mir was put on the card instead. Mir beat Sylvia and won the vacant title with a brutal armbar early in the fight, breaking Tim's arm in the process.

Now this. Intesting to see what happens after this. It's clearly going to be Andrei vs. somone, but who? And if it's Ken Shamrock, I'll flip.

70 feet?!? :pinch:

While I'm here, I have a question: why do we discuss MMA here? I mean, I can understand discussing the shooting careers of guys like Shamrock and Abbot, as they've ventured into wrestling. That's, more or less, just like discussing Lesnar's NFL career. But why do we discuss MMA fighters that aren't related to professional wrestling?

70 feet?!? :pinch:

While I'm here, I have a question: why do we discuss MMA here? I mean, I can understand discussing the shooting careers of guys like Shamrock and Abbot, as they've ventured into wrestling. That's, more or less, just like discussing Lesnar's NFL career. But why do we discuss MMA fighters that aren't related to professional wrestling?

Bah, I just remembered Shamrock was injured, so count him out (probably for the best). Tim Sylvia is still nursing that broken arm, Cabbage is suspended due to fighting in another event with a concussion I believe, Kimo is suspended after testing positive for steriods, and every other top contender (and I use that term lightly) has either left UFC or not even near the caliber of Arlovski. Tank is gone from UFC too, he backed out of his fight with Shamrock to sign a contract with K-1. So no Tank, Kimo, Cabbage, or Shammy.

This is a dire situation for Dana White. Best of luck in finding a suitable replacement.

Guest Downloading_Man

Although I don't see as much UFC as I would like, even I know that the heavyweight division is a mess. In my opinion it hasn't been at a level anywhere near Light-Heavyweight since the the time of the leg-ends (Tank, Severn, etc.).

Shamrock should really only stick to big payday fights, that he knows he can win, such as a fight against Tank. Ken is now 40 and it's really starting to show. Anyone who saw his 'fight' against Tito Ortiz can vouch for that. I only use the term fight as that is what it was billed as. Shamrock didn't come back out for round 4 (or 5 ?). His face was a complete mess, and Tito was just toying with him. At the end of the fight Tito literaly didn't have a single mark on him.

If Ken does want to continue he must stick to the heavyweight division. The slower pace, and fact the division is a shambles means he may be able to get the belt one more time, and hopefully use that as a chance to retire, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, though UFC puts on a good show more often then not, their title situations are a mess.

Heavyweight: Frank Mir, title more than likely to be vacated soon or an interim champion will be decided upon.

Light Heavyweight: Randy Couture

Middleweight: Title vacated, no current plans to name champion

Welterweight: Title vacated, New champion to be decided at UFC 50 when former champion Matt Hughes takes on George St. Pierre

Lightweight: Title vacated, no current plans to name a new champion

And yes, like I said before, Ken Shamrock's time as a big name contender has passed. As for Tito, he'll have his hands full with Ken Shamrock-Lite at UFC 50.

Guest Downloading_Man

After getting 'UFC:Sudden Impact' about 2 weeks ago (£15 new :) ) I thought I'd go on the UFC website for the first time in a while. I looked in the champions listings and they only had two names. I thought that either this was a mistake, or they held belts in multiple divisions. But as 'Enter Blue Guy' pointed out we could be about to enter a period in which only 1 weight class has a champion. UFC is in a lot of trouble.

It didn't fully capatalise on the exposure WWF/WCW gave to Shamrock, Tank and Severn. Now with the big names dropping away, practicaly no decent heavyweight fighters, and the titles nearly all vacent who or what can take UFC to the next level, or even keep it at it's current level.

Oh, and Ken...please, even if your pride (No pun intended) is on the line, don't fight Tito again. If you do he's going to kick the crap out of you...again. Unless you get an early Submission there is no way you can beat him.

To those who saw their last fight, where you guys as impressed as I was when Ken escaped, with Ortiz in the backmount position. It seemed to me just a matter of how much Tito wanted to smack Ken around before choking him out, but Ken escaped after about 50 seconds in the position. It may seem like nothing to some, but to me it was a rare flash of the old Shamrock.

I'd just throw Couture in. Sure, he already has a belt, but who cares? I'd say behind Ortiz, he's probablly got the most draw.

I think it's best Couture stays put in the LWH division. He was having a enough of a hard time in the heavyweight before dropping weight classes. Besides, if Randy thinks he is going to go toe to toe with a guy like Arlovski, he's got another thing coming. But I know Randy is a smart competitor and will and will not leave the Light Heavyweight division.

• 3 weeks later...

UFC and Fox Sports Network anounced today an agreement for four one hour television specials over the next year.

The first special will be on 10/17 at 5 p.m. The first special will be taped, featuring the Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz and Nick Diaz vs. Robbie Lawler matches from UFC 47.

Ortiz vs. Liddell is a bit slow, but has a good ending and is worth watching just to see Chuck's onslaught on Ortiz in the closing seconds

Diaz vs. Lawler is a pretty good fight, quicker paced stand up fight. If you like stand up, this is a good fight to watch. The knock out punch comes literally out of nowhere, which is always cool.