General boxing thread

EddieG

Just now getting caught up on a fun weekend of fights. Juan Manuel Marquez looked like a killer in his tune-up fight for Pacquiao by knocking out Likar Ramos in the first round with a clean right. Over on ESPN, Delvin Rodriguez returned to FNF with another great battle, this time against Pawel Wolak who I think might be certifiably insane. Go track this fight down, it's just a war between two guys with heart to spare.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/662050/347384316.jpg

O, hai!

• 3 months later...

Sad news about Frazier, here's hoping he can beat it.

I missed Bute-Johnson on Saturday night, but Kirkland-Angulo on HBO had a first round that might have been the best of the year. Once Kirkland came up off the mat, he never gave up control and the ref stepped in in the sixth to save Angulo from himself. Great hard-hitting fight, all action.

Looking forward to Pacquiao-Marquez this weekend, though I can't be sure it'll measure up to their previous fights.

Towards the end of the fight I was watching it just waiting for the decision and the millions of dollars from the Mayweather/Pac fight to disappear before our very eyes. Marquez won what I saw (last 4 rounds) and if the commentators were any indication he was absolutely robbed.

Instead boxing still has one marquee fight left. And let's get it out of the way before these guys are too old.

Ludicrous is definitely pushing it. Several of the rounds were extremely close and Pacquiao statistically threw more and landed more while pushing the fight. Marquez wasn't aggressive enough at times and had mostly disengaged in the late rounds and that won't win you points from the judges. If you're the challenger and the underdog, you can't back up.

I couldn't make up my mind on some very close rounds, but it would be either a draw outright or Marquez slightly ahead. That said, I can't hold it against someone for seeing key rounds differently and getting different numbers (though 116-112 is a bit out there), especially when Compubox favours Pacquaio and Marquez was clearly passive at times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its extremely rare where I watch a boxing fight. I sat down with the old man to check out this fight, and it certainly didn't disappoint. It was a great fight, but clearly Khan had the better of Peterson. Like I said I don't watch boxing a lot and even I could tell he was robbed tonight. It just seemed as if he was the better fighter from start to finish.

Khan's only got himself to blame for that loss.

Anyone watch the 'Fight of their lives' documentary about Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan? Hard to watch at points, McClellan is still in a pretty bad way. Its up on the ITV Player for UK residents - http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=293512

Khan's only got himself to blame for that loss.

Anyone watch the 'Fight of their lives' documentary about Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan? Hard to watch at points, McClellan is still in a pretty bad way. Its up on the ITV Player for UK residents - http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=293512

That was one of my favourite boxing matches. Remember being young and watching it with my Dad. Such a shame it ended up the way it did, taints the memories naturally.