Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I'm really, really bad at this game. I have no idea what I'm doing and yet whenever I load it up I know I'm going to end up playing it for hours and staying up half the night because I just can't turn it off.

Try doing a little game on a small map with just a few civs, it might help you get used to it.

As I suggest to everyone, join the Civfanatics forum and read some of the better players' games. It really helps.

The thing I hate is that fewer people do write-ups of their Civ V games; everyone seems to do Let's Plays on YouTube. And I haven't the slightest bit of time for an 82-hour YouTube video about what a nonce Ahmad is.

Yeah, "Wide" is lots of okay little cities, "Tall" is a few really good cities. It can be a bit jarring switching - the advantages you get for a Wide Civ are probably the ones you rarely bother with for a Tall Civ. Stuff like +1 Culture, Science, Gold and so on for each city in whatever Ideology and so on.

Wide is weird. There's tons of benefits with the right Civ, but it just never feels worth the hassle to me. I think you have to really like the micro-management. Anything more than four cities and I'm usually building random crap in some of them that only barely helps at all.

In older iterations of Civ I could pull it off, but not in Civ V I think; the game has changed so much that it would just be a major pain in the ass, not to mention the culture hit.

I almost always go wide, I find I can take the ping of the happiness and such and crank out the gold and such to really be solid. Like right now im gearing up for war soon in my one game and making over 200 gold a turn which will assist me greatly as I know Imma lose 2 cities right off the bat.

Solid game tonight as Venice (who else? :shifty: ), winning Culture in 1945. Started off isolated, but quickly discovered the other Civs to be Assyria, Songai, Siam, Portugal, America, Siam, and Rome. The only one who really caused any problems with Rome, at one point eliminating the Siamese. Realizing that old Augustus was being a bit of a dick, I sent in five frigates and a privateer who promptly wrecked (the city of) Rome; we then wiped out Cumae, at which point he offered peace, unwisely giving me Ravenna and Neapolis. I moved the fleet outside of the former Siamese capital, and once the treaty was over, I just stormed in, bringing the Siamese back, where I turned my attention to the last Roman city: Antium. Which burned to the ground.

I had become pretty advanced, the only drawback was a serious lack of coal, which put a hard postponement on getting my first ideology.

I really don't want to think how this world turned out, though. Venice and a massive confederation of minor nations (the city-states), all firmly entrenched in a massive Communist governmetn, that committed flat out genocide on two Roman cities. I didn't even get out of the modern age, which upset me since I wanted to send in a Landship to take the Assyrian city that had built Petra. Oh well, maybe next time.