The Shows Mostly Formerly Affiliated with NBC's Thursday Night Comedy Block Thread **SPOILERS**

GoGo Yubari

Yeah, I agree with Pris about Pierce. It actually took me out of the episode, which otherwise was wonderfully done. The problem with trying to make Chang more sympathetic is there is now no real villian in the show, and over the last couple of weeks Pierce has become worse and worse. Hopefully it's leading somewhere, but even this episode seemed a big spiteful leap from the last episode.

I actually just went and read a pretty interesting comment somewhere that pointed out that 9 out of the 14 episodes so far have had something to do with Pierce's abandonment by the group/his family. Maaaaaaaaan, this is why I hate mid-season breaks, I've pretty much forgotten the finer points of the earlier episodes.

The comment:

Many complained that in Season 1, Pierce and Shirley were the least connected characters in the show. Either they got the A-story (though partnered with Jeff/Annie) or they were completely forgotten.This year, Harmon has taken those complaints to heart, as Shirley and Pierce's arcs are actually the driving force behind the season. Check it:

Shirley's pregnancy drama is self-evident. But Pierce's abandonment issues have taken up most of the season:

The Psychology of Letting Go got the ball rolling with his mother's death, leaving the study group as the only people he has.

Basic Rocket Science showed that Pierce is a ball of unsettled issues - even if we didn't realize it at the time. Note Pierce's father's character design in Celebrity Pharmacology last week and then note exactly when (and with what dialogue) he goes off the deep end in Rocket Science.

Messianic Myths had Pierce try to reach out to other people closer to his age... and was quickly abandoned by them.

By Aerodynamics Pierce has broken, and is actively attempting to force his way into activities he's been left out of (here the trampoline).

And then we get to Mixology. The study group's behavior to him in Mixology is frankly monstrous, and if his behavior in AD&D wasn't to an innocent third party, almost justified by it:

First, they forget his birthday. Second, they give him the option of either stating he's senile or being cast out of the group. Finally, he's abandoned in the bar entrance, and completely forgotten about (and you can argue whether Shirley freeing him was only because she had to to get out).

Christmas: Sure, Pierce tries to explain it away by looking for more cookies, but odd that he's the only left when Abed faces his abandonment issues head on.

Population: Was Pierce revealing the Shirley/Chang bit out of spite or just because the gang wanted to exclude a new person (Rich) when the existing gang has obviously failed him (again, see Mixology).

Pharmacology / AD&D: Self evident.

Or to review, 9 out of 14 episodes have dealt with Pierce's abandonment arc. And the audience has mostly missed it.

I loved Community but there were times with Pierce where he was more real mean then funny mean and it was a bit shocking. Still a great episode though

That's part of why I loved the episode. The show has a talent for making the situation a bit more dramatic than you expect a TV sitcom to be, then really let there be consequences, all while keeping the show funny overall.

Yeah, I could relate to the flight from hell aspect of 30 Rock big time, right down to the crappy CGI animation movie on repeat (for us it was Shark Tale).

Best part of Parks this week was pairing April off with Chris for a sideplot.

Anyone see the promo that they ran during the last commercial break of Parks and Rec. There's buzz now that it may have been spoilers by mistake.

They said to check out Andy and April's wedding registry online. There is one for Ron and Tammy though when you check online. Here's video of it:

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2011/02/zomg-huge-parks-and-rec-spoiler

Guest mr. potato pimp

Everything was awesome last night (well I don't watch Community or Perfect Couples and Outsourced was only awesome in that it was a bit different of an episode from the norm). The Office was great, Parks and Rec was funny, and The John Cho Show had ample amounts of John Cho.

I watched Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec this morning. I don't know why, but absolutely loving this season of the Office. I think they are really going all out with Michael Scott before he leaves the show. I swear, he is the only character on television who I can love one second and absolutely hate the next second.

Community totally worked because it was nicely plot intensive and because there are certain characters on the show I've really become attached to, and then there's Britta and Pierce. Britta's not a horrid person, but she really gets everything she deserves for being such an elevated bitch at times, which is great to play with. I love that the show plays with the more wretched aspects of its characters, especially Pierce and his running off the rails as of late. And hey, that Jeff/Annie deal is way more intriguing to me now. (Goddamn, why are Joel McHale and Alison Brie so good looking together? It seriously depresses me a bit solely based on my own looks.)

Okay, so that ended up being a stellar night of TV.

Community came out really fucking strong, and I all but said they had already won it. Taking the episode documentary style (while taking a sly shot at The Office, et al), bringing things to a head with Pierce, and my-god-that-breakdown from Troy. SO good.

But then came The Office. It's been getting better and better - but tonight? Fuck, "Threat Level Midnight" was amazing. When it finally got to the musical number I was in tears and convulsive laughter. (And there was a CHEROKEE JACK!!!) WINNER.

Parks and Rec was still very solid though. Ron's growing father/son relationship with Andy may be my new favorite thing there.

30 Rock was good too. Still not my favorite, but good nonetheless. Plus, it had to follow everything else.

Then television fell down a bottomless pit of despair for 30 minutes.

Oh, and Perfect Couples happened somewhere in there.

But still. THE OFFICE!