Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I walked around Baltimore last night while Fantasia (?) played a free concert in a park. Does that count? I don't even know who Fantasia is.

But next week I'm seeing Good Luck and the Max Levine Ensamble (who I must have seen about ten times at this point)!

When it comes to Boris, I think the last thing I would focus on is the vocals. Not a big part of the music, to me.

I have the chance to see them in October, it's either that or Portishead. Or neither of those, and just go to the Voodoo festival in New Orleans.

When it comes to Boris, I think the last thing I would focus on is the vocals. Not a big part of the music, to me.

I have the chance to see them in October, it's either that or Portishead. Or neither of those, and just go to the Voodoo festival in New Orleans.

Oh no, sure, the vocals aren't that important but still, it is the full experience of hearing every facet of the band. I could hear some muffled stuff but yeah.

Aaaaaah holy shit, the pillows are playing Seattle in September! I am both excited and really hoping that this isn't another "hey, remember those songs from FLCL you all loved the first three times we played here" thing (except "Last Dinosaur," which they've yet to play in Seattle).

Went to Latitude last week and saw a fair few acts:

Avi Buffalo

Chapel Club

Safari

The Vaccines

Bombay Bicycle Club

Ed Sheeran

Dog Is Dead

The Cribs

Tribes

Foals

Carl Barrat

The Naked & Famous

Everything Everything

Glasvegas

Foster The People

Crystal Fighters

Vaccines, Bombay, Foals, Cribs and Crystal Fighters were my highlights - all amazing. And Tribes were my suprise gig, that I was really into. Gonna go see em in Norwich sometime in October, they were good.

Just saw the almighty Clutch tonight.

Corrosion of Conformity was supposed to open but their drummer came down with some kind of heat related illness and they had to back out.

Opening band, Groundscore didn't know what they wanted to be: reggae, hardcore, or poppy punk. They kinda sucked even though their drummer (JP Gaster of Clutch's drum tech) was awesome. Every song had the same structure and outside of the drummer the band was pedestrian.

Clutch was amazing as always though. Debuted a new song, according to the setlist it's tentatively titled "Newt Gingrich." It's about werewolves and shit. Pretty good song.

Great show from Clutch.

• 3 weeks later...

GIG UPDATE!

So tomorrow is Battles in Aarhus, which is going to fucking awesome, then in October I'm going to Copenhagen once again to catch Melvins live (for the first time, also a gig I am very excited about), November might hold two shows for me; might go watch Explosions In The Sky if I can get anyone to come and then I am going to see a reunion show of Malk De Koijn, a Danish hip hop group with spectacularly old school samples covered in wacky lyrics and amazing flow. Early December is going to be a busy time; Red Warszawa (for the second time this year) on the 9th, then Kvelertak (for the second time this year as well) either in the 11th or the 12th (or I am feeling real frisky, then both dates).

And then in the new year, in February, I am going to see Rammstein return to Denmark when they visit Forum.

Yeah, I am pretty happy with that schedule as it looks currently.

As far as upcoming concerts, I'm definitely planning to go see Weezer next month since they're doing The Blue Album and Pinkerton in full on one night (as opposed to their initial, stupid plan of doing one each night), which means it's not going to be bogged down by all their awful songs post-2002.

So I went to this tonight and it was amazing. The crowd sort of reflected the two albums they were playing. Blue Album half: "Yay, we're all earnest and dorky and having fun and getting into it!" Pinkerton half: "Okay we're still having fun but now we're getting really kind of aggressive and volatile and you're probably going to be left with a bruise afterward."

Absolute highlights were "Buddy Holly" (not my favorite song but oh Jesus the nostalgia and the shared experience factor. Everyone knew every fucking word) and, of course, "Only in Dreams." On the Pinkerton half "Why Bother?" and "Across the Sea" in particular are pretty fantastic live.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this thread, hopefully to get it going again.

Tonight I am going to a gig headed by Kvelertak and with Toxic Holocaust, Wolves Like Us and The Secret. If any of you know a bit about metal, this is going to be a wild night. Kvelertak plays a mixture of black metal, punk and rock'n'roll, Toxic Holocaust turned to Slayer-worshipping thrash metal on their latest album, Wolves Like Us is a post-hardcore outfit that has a drummer who is determined to kill his drumset and The Secret are some Italian grindcore band. I can only imagine that tomorrow my ears will ring. But it will be worth it because Kvelertak delivers an awesome live show, at least when I saw them at Tuska in the summer.

Anyone else going to any wild gigs soon?

Going to the Oxford Academy tonight for the Everytime I Die gig, with support from Trash Talk. Apart from Melvins last month at Electric Ballroom in Camden (which was amazing) its been a quiet year for me in terms of gigs. Massively jealous of my mates who went to ATP over the weekend, had no funds to go tihs year and they got to stay in the luxury chalets with free tickets.

Massively jealous of my mates who went to ATP over the weekend, had no funds to go tihs year and they got to stay in the luxury chalets with free tickets.

I was really gutted I couldn't make it to ATP either. My friends ended up hanging out with Gary Numan in their chalet :( It's the first year since '07 that I've not been.

My mates that did go won the Pub Quiz, though, which means free tickets for next time - and I didn't even realise that the other December ATP (curated by Jeff Mangum) had been cancelled, and will now be happening in March, so they've got a free four-person chalet for that. Hopefully they'll have space for me, but if not I'll be happy to pay, it'll just be a lot to pay all at once, so I'm going to have to try and find people to go with before it sells out.

It'll be an awesome line-up, though;

Jeff Mangum, Magnetic Fields, Joanna Newsom, Boredoms, Sebadoh, Thurston Moore, Low, Yann Tiersen, The Magic Band, Olivia Tremor Control, Robyn Hitchcock, Half Japanese, Young Marble Giants, A Hawk And A Hacksaw, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Mike Watt & George Hurley playing Minutemen (!), The Fall, The Raincoats, Apples In Stereo, and Elephant 6, amongst others.

I've seen Joanna Newsom, Boredoms, Thurston Moore, A Hawk And A Hacksaw and Mike Watt before, but they were all fantastic, so have no qualms about seeing them all again, and I've been wanting to see The Fall forever. Couple that with how much fun I always have at ATP, and I can't fucking wait for March.

My next gig:

This Saturday at the O2 Arena - Manic Street Preachers. Playing all 38 songs from their Singles album, a gig lasting almost four hours. Can't wait, especially as some of my favourite songs haven't been played the other two times I've seen them (Kevin Carter, Love of Richard Nixon, Found That Soul...)

:w00t: