[EWR] 1998 scenario, version XXVIII

Jet Jaguar - Brian Bernick

Height: 5' 8" (173 cm) Weight: 176 lbs (80 kg) Trainer: Jeff Bradley, WCW Power Plant Nickname(s): "King Of Filth", "The Madman" Trademark holds: Iron Claw

Mike Sullivan- Freedom Ryder "Marvelous" Mike Sullivan

Billed height 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m) Billed weight 220 lb (100 kg) Born 1974

Trained by Brett Sawyer
Dory Funk, Jr.
Steve Keirn
Jimmy Del Ray
Tommy Rogers
Pat Tanaka
Luke Williams
Butch Miller

hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update - Coming along very slowly but I'm still working on it. I'll hopefully release another update some time soon-ish. I haven't heard anything from Disturbed since the board switch, so I'm hoping he's still able to work on those sponsors, but if not I'll get those done eventually. This isn't exactly my top priority, as between work and life and weather issues, there's other stuff that takes prominence, but I still want to get this finished sooner rather than later.

Is there anything I can possibly help on? I'd love to help this scenerio finish as soon as possible. 1998 is an era I love.. And since I can't get into TEW10, and I dislike the RaveX updates, I'd love to help a good new 1998 come out.

Sorry for not replying sooner, but anyway, as tedious as it is, there are a lot of errors - I imagine anyway - with the data. I'd love it if someone could at least skim through the wrestlers and see if anything sticks out that needs fixing, stuff like incorrect nationalities, speak yes/no, missing stats, missing pics, etc. That would be one of the first things; if you have the time and interest in doing it, I'd appreciate it.

Wow this is amazing.

I'll do some skimming. Awesome work.

I'm just going to edit things as I see them. Just suggestions of course.

Kane: Speaks No

If this scenario is from January 1998 (which I am seeing), Kane's character didn't speak.

Sho Funaki: Nationality Japanese

He's American in the data.

Steve Corino: Nationality Canadian

He was born in Canada. Not sure what he was billed from in his time in ECW.

Mr. Fuji: Nationality Japanese

I get that he was born in Hawaii, but mostly billed from Japan (if not entirely).

Cactus Jack/Rocky Maivia: Relationship None

I don't believe they were friends in 1998, and according to Foley's 1st book Foley advocated the WWE releasing the Rock in mid 1997.

Chris Benoit/Perry Saturn: Relationship None

Seems early for this.

Chris Jericho/Lance Storm: Relationship Loyalty

Reading Jericho's books, it's clear him and Storm are very very close. His "best friend" in the business.

Taz/Sabu: Relationship Dislike

I believe Taz and Sabu didn't like the other at all, despite the friendship relationship listed. Taz said that (I believe in the Rise and Fall of ECW documentary) that his hatred of Sabu is what helped make their feud so memorable.

Kevin Nash and Scott Hall/Hulk Hogan: Relationship None

Hogan talks about in his book (which seems off anyway) that he, Nash and Hall put their past differences aside to look out for one another in 2002. So I doubt the friendship.

Chris Jericho/Bret Hart: Relationship None

I understand the Dungeon connection, but Jericho seems to barely know Hart, in his book once referencing how he randomly gave Bret a finish in 1995. I doubt they were friends in 1998 when Bret just got to WCW.

Shawn Michaels/Sid Vicious: Relationship None

Nothing in Michaels book indicated Sid and HBK were friends. He mentioned that he got a nice match out of Sid.

Bret Hart/Sid Vicious and Vader: Relationship None

No indication of a friendship either (for both Bret/Vader, Bret/Sid).

Ric Flair and Chainsaw Charlie: Relationship None

Flair seems to think highly of Funk in his book.

Overall, I would say a lot of relationships should be deleted. A lot of the friendships just seem unnecessary. A lot of them seem based on whether or not guys worked with one another (Bret Hart/Yokozuna, Bret Hart/Kevin Nash, Taker/Kane)or were a tag team or a group (Hogan liking Nash, Hall, (forgot off the top of my head who seemed to violate this) or guys who may have some connection to one another because it seems like it made sense (Jericho/Bret, Bret/Henry, Jericho/Rey Jr.)

Edited by Red Devil-Taker316

I definitely agree I probably have too many relationships. I took them from PhilaHItman and the current scenarios and went through both Wikipedia and Cagematch to do my best to validate/verify them... But I agree I probably have too many. That said, there are a few I just want to clarify:

This scenario IS for January 1998, so you are correct.

That said, I didn't put Kane speaking as No because I believe he was speaking by the end of the year with the assistance of the voice box. Plus if he gets signed by another organization, it's not like he CAN'T speak, he just chooses not to. It's really tough in those situations.

I have trouble telling if Taz/Sabu was strictly in character or not. It seems inconsistent through a lot of the records, whether their relationship was actually bad or if they just played up their kayfabe rivalry. It's tough because I don't know if it should be friendship, dislike, or just nothing...

I'll change most of the other stuff you suggested. I'm not sure about Nash/Hall and Hogan, though. That's another situation where depending on that specific point, it's tough to tell if they were friends or not. I put them down as friends because the Outsiders talked about how much money Hogan made for them and how he's the one guy everybody should want to work with at that time because he made the most money, more than Flair or anybody else... So, I don't know if that's friendship or strictly business.

If you can, please give me more examples of relationships to remove. Just as a warning though, all the Undertaker/Kama Mustafa/Yokozuna etc. relationships (I forget who all was in that big group) are based on a group of guys who hung out regularly backstage and were sort of a clique of their own. It was pretty legit from what I could find.

I just want to say again, thank you for making this, it is pretty awesome and I'm really excited to use it in the future.

My thoughts in regards to relationships is how it effects the game. In terms of friendship, I'd wonder, if Y was released should X's morale drop? Or is X was signed would Y's morale increase etc.?

I am aware of Taker/Kama/Yoko/Crush etc.

Kane I figured.

So looking through, here's what I would change

Relationship Change to None

Steve Austin/Ric Flair, currently as dislike, both seem to have nothing for respect for one another which is displayed in Austin's book, Flair's book and one of Austin's DVDs.

Steve Austin/Undertaker, currently as friends.

Bam Bam/HHH, currently hate. I understand the whole Kliq vs. Bigelow in 1995, but feels odd as HHH was new and a lot of people didn't like the Kliq. Maybe it is something I don't know.

Cactus Jack/Billy Gunn, Bradshaw, Faarooq, Jarrett, Kane, Miavia, Syxx. Maybe Undertaker as well. Taker is tough as everyone seemed to respect him even then.

The Canadians are tricky (as are a lot of the Mexicans). Christian/Benoit, Christian/Jericho, Edge/Jericho, Edge/Benoit I don't think existed yet (although for Jericho did know Edge and Christian at that point.) Same for Christian/Storm and Edge/Storm. Adittedlt not sure on these, but they seem too early.

Kane/Bearer, Austin, Taker.

Rock/Austin, Cactus, Vince.

HBK/Taker, currently dislike. HBK's book seems to show nothing but respect between the two in late 97, especially when working with one another. Other than the Mania 14 rumor of Taker taping his fists (which I don't believe) and some Bret comments, nothing indicates a dislike.

HBK/Flair: Flair and HBK had a lot of respect for the other, but I wouldn't say they were friends at this point.

HBK/Sid: Friendship. Nothing indicates this.

Vince/Lawler: Currently loyalty. Don't think this is the case at this point.

Chavo/Jericho: Currently friends.

Benoit/Rey Jr.: Currently friends.

Jericho/Zbyszko: No indication of this at the time.

Jericho/RVD: Currently dislike.

Jericho/Saturn: Currently friends.

Relationship Adds

Austin/Jarrett: Dislike. Austin talks a bit about the check comment in his book. Austin also was said to not want to work with Jarrett in 1998 at all.

Jim Cornette/Cactus Jack: Friendship. Got to know each other in WCW, got close in SMW.

Eddie/Nash: Dislike. Eddie wrote in his book that throughout his time in WCW (and afterwards) he thought Nash was genuinely evil.

Heenan/Monsoon: I'd up this to loyalty. Heenan absolutely loved Monsoon.

I just want to say again, thank you for making this, it is pretty awesome and I'm really excited to use it in the future.

My thoughts in regards to relationships is how it effects the game. In terms of friendship, I'd wonder, if Y was released should X's morale drop? Or is X was signed would Y's morale increase etc.?

I am aware of Taker/Kama/Yoko/Crush etc.

Kane I figured.

I tried to keep that in mind but probably went overboard between combining 3-4 different sources' worth of relationships.

So looking through, here's what I would change

Relationship Change to None

Steve

Austin/Ric Flair, currently as dislike, both seem to have nothing for

respect for one another which is displayed in Austin's book, Flair's

book and one of Austin's DVDs.

I thought Austin wasn't fond of Flair because of WCW politics, which would've only been a few years before that. I know Austin didn't like Hogan or Bischoff much around then, and for some reason I thought Flair was included.

Steve Austin/Undertaker, currently as friends.

I'll remove Austin/Taker, though I thought they were friends at this point.

Bam Bam/HHH, currently hate. I understand the whole Kliq vs. Bigelow in

1995, but feels odd as HHH was new and a lot of people didn't like the

Kliq. Maybe it is something I don't know.

I'll bump this down to a dislike, but in a shoot interview with Bigelow, he trashed the shit out of HHH. This interview was from like, 1997 I think, even before HHH made it big.

Cactus Jack/Billy Gunn, Bradshaw, Faarooq, Jarrett, Kane, Miavia, Syxx. Maybe

Undertaker as well. Taker is tough as everyone seemed to respect him

even then.

Some of them might have been too early, I don't know. I forget if there were any sources for these or I was just copying the relationships for Foley from the other scenarios.

The Canadians are tricky (as are a lot ofthe Mexicans). Christian/Benoit, Christian/Jericho, Edge/Jericho,

Edge/Benoit I don't think existed yet (although for Jericho did know

Edge and Christian at that point.) Same for Christian/Storm and

Edge/Storm. Adittedlt not sure on these, but they seem too early.

I'll leave the Jericho/Storm and Edge/Christian ones in but take the rest out, like for Benoit and Edge/Christian.

Kane/Bearer, Austin, Taker.

Pretty sure Paul Bearer was good friends with Undertaker and Kane outside of the ring... As for Austin and Kane/Bearer, I don't remember if that was part of that group I mentioned earlier or not. I'll have to go find the source again.

Rock/Austin, Cactus, Vince.

Probably too early for Rocky to have those relationships, though I might keep the Austin one since they'd worked together several times and Austin helped his career a lot in the early going during the NoD days...

HBK/Taker, currently dislike. HBK's book seems to show nothing but respect between

the two in late 97, especially when working with one another. Other

than the Mania 14 rumor of Taker taping his fists (which I don't

believe) and some Bret comments, nothing indicates a dislike.

It does relate a lot to Bret and the screwjob and the attitude problems HBK had around this time. Taker seemed to dislike Shawn and they didn't repair their relationship for several years from my sources.

HBK/Flair: Flair and HBK had a lot of respect for the other, but I wouldn't say they were friends at this point.

Good point. They probably didn't have any contact, so it was just respect.

HBK/Sid: Friendship. Nothing indicates this.

I removed this one.

Vince/Lawler: Currently loyalty. Don't think this is the case at this point.

I think they should at least have friendship.

Chavo/Jericho: Currently friends.

Benoit/Rey Jr.: Currently friends.

I can remove these two. I think they might be unneeded, since they were friends of friends and not necessarily direct friends.

Jericho/Zbyszko: No indication of this at the time.

Jericho/RVD: Currently dislike.

Jericho/Saturn: Currently friends.

I can remove these. I wasn't sure when the stuff between Jericho and Zbyszko started.

Relationship Adds

Austin/Jarrett:

Dislike. Austin talks a bit about the check comment in his book. Austin

also was said to not want to work with Jarrett in 1998 at all.

I don't think Jarrett and Austin disliked each other yet. I don't think they spent much time if any working in the same promotion... Jarrett had just rejoined WWF a month or two before this scenario and I think most of the problems were because of Debra? I don't even remember what the check comment is, so yeah. If you can provide a source from '97, that'd be good, as this is January 1st 1998 and I don't think they had any real interaction yet.

Jim Cornette/Cactus Jack: Friendship. Got to know each other in WCW, got close in SMW.

Eddie/Nash:

Dislike. Eddie wrote in his book that throughout his time in WCW (and

afterwards) he thought Nash was genuinely evil.

Heenan/Monsoon: I'd up this to loyalty. Heenan absolutely loved Monsoon.

I'll add/change these.

The Jarrett/Austin one basically seems like Jarrett doesn't have hard feelings toward Austin, but Austin didn't like Jarrett dating back to Austin's early days in the business when Austin was working in Memphis for Jerry Jarrett and Austin got a payoff that was lower than expected. Jarrett apparently told Austin "it ain't gonna get bigger by looking at it" and Austin didn't forget it. That story is in Austin's book.

In another book called Wrestling Mysteries solved (which really isn't the best I guess), stated that Austin also didn't like Jarrett's late 1997 WWF return (when he was work-shooting everything) as Jarrett did an interview about Austin 3:16 being blasphemous, and Austin told him that "he didn't like that he was talking bad about his money".

Just to add, he also said Austin would always be The Ringmaster, in his eyes. The only interaction they had was in Jan 98 when Austin Stunned him, and two more times in 1999 when Austin Stunned him again, burying Double J.

Don't think Kane was in the group, you're referring to, though. I assume you mean the picture from that overseas trip with the Clique and B.S.K? They were all pretty tight with each other. Godwinns, Yoko, Hall, Nash, Pac, HHH, Austin, Bearer, Taker, Kama. Michaels wasn't very liked by anyone, though

Edited by Ty123

Are you sure on the Kane-Dean Malenko friendship? The Dean Malenko that trained Kane isn't the one in the data, and that's the only link I can find.

Paul Bearer and Sunny should have a hate relationship. Both have them have said tons of times that they hate one another, and Paul himself talked about how bad it was at this period of time in a shoot with Cornette.

Those are the main two I see so far.

Are you sure on the Kane-Dean Malenko friendship? The Dean Malenko that trained Kane isn't the one in the data, and that's the only link I can find.

Paul Bearer and Sunny should have a hate relationship. Both have them have said tons of times that they hate one another, and Paul himself talked about how bad it was at this period of time in a shoot with Cornette.

Those are the main two I see so far.

I didn't realize that. I saw Dean Malenko trained Kane and added it. I'll remove the relationship, thanks.

I didn't know that about Bearer and Sunny. I'll add a hate relationship.

I'm gonna try to post an updated data by next weekend. Please keep posting, everyone - this is a huge help!

A potential hole I've noticed: WCW's risk, along with the risk levels for TBS and TNT, need to be at bare minimum 66. WCW still ran the War Games match in 1998, and this was the last year it was ran if I recall. To get the War Games match, you need a bare minimum of about 66 Risk.

I'd suggest about 66 Risk for WCW and TBS, and 72-ish for TNT.

A potential hole I've noticed: WCW's risk, along with the risk levels for TBS and TNT, need to be at bare minimum 66. WCW still ran the War Games match in 1998, and this was the last year it was ran if I recall. To get the War Games match, you need a bare minimum of about 66 Risk.

I'd suggest about 66 Risk for WCW and TBS, and 72-ish for TNT.

True, but War Games was never done on TV as far as I know. It was a PPV-exclusive, done on Fall Brawl for the most part... There is no risk limit for PPV, and only sponsors would be effected by raising the risk for a PPV event. As long as the player returns the risk to the TV-appropriate levels before the next show, there wouldn't be a problem.

That said, what does everybody think? WCW wasn't really afforded many risky angles, characters, or match types... Things were kept PG in the primetime slots. I don't really remember enough about other programming on TNT at this time, besides NBA basketball, and on TBS it was mostly comedy blocks.

Hogan and Nash/Hall were friends in that time period, to the point Nash and Hall have spoken in shoot interviews about running to Hogan with Beer to avoid pissing off Bischoff. Bret Hart helped train Mark Henry, Bret even stated when he returned to WWE how happy he was to reconnect with his old DRIVING PARTNER, Mark Henry, its safe to say there friends. I would say 95% of the relationships you got from me were legit, based off shoot interviews and books. That said everything seems ok so far

I would say keep the risk lower for TNT and TBS, remember how the bleeping(or removing) of curse words?

Edited by PhilaHitman