Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

What ended up happening was that I had yet another goddamn succession crisis and civil war broke out yet again (I need to be better at this), and at the same time Scotland decided to invade. And then the King of Castile decided to claim Santiago for himself and... yeah. It was basically impossible to defend, and I had prestige to spare, so I just surrendered Santiago to him without a fight. I managed to pull Ireland back together after all that ridiculousness thanks to careful use of mercs, and now I'm sort of back to where I was before. I've got a claim on The Isles that I'm going to use to start chipping away at Scotland, I can declare myself King of Wales when I get my piety up (my newest iteration is a lustful asshole and the Pope does not much like him), and once that's nailed down I'll just roll on Scotland and go the TEOL route to uniting Britannia. After that I'll probably roll on Spain because seriously I am very tired of not ruling Spain.

The best part was running out of money during the civil war. I had so much prestige and was getting it so quickly that I was able to tell the money lenders to shut the fuck up and wait for a long, long time. I ended up not paying them back until well after the war just because they noticed how boss I was and went "oh well okay."

Eh building castles is a pro's/con's kinda thing. It still counts against your demesne cap so you can't go hog wild with it.

I personally just take my home provinces dukedom and then fill the cap out with castles, less pissy vassals that way because they want that one piece of your territory that falls in their region.

I will feh the shit out of you.

Also in nearly every game I play, play begins with the AI Norway stomping the jesus out of Harold Godwinson at Stamford Bridge, leaving William a bastard and Harald Hardrada as King of England. Also Al-Andalus conquers basically all of Iberia. The lack of historical accuracy is hardly my fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a game with the Game of Thrones mod and the Clash of Kings bookmark.

First battle of the War for Northern Independence.

Robb Stark - killed in battle

Tywin Lannister - killed in battle

Ser Bronn - killed in battle

Balon Greyjoy - killed in battle

Joffrey Baratheon - executed by the now King Stannis Baratheon of the Iron Throne.

Cersei Lannister - executed

So it's now Theon Greyjoy and Brandon Stark vs Stannis and Mace Tyrell vs Renly Baratheon

Started a game with the Game of Thrones mod and the Clash of Kings bookmark.

First battle of the War for Northern Independence.

Robb Stark - killed in battle

Tywin Lannister - killed in battle

Ser Bronn - killed in battle

Balon Greyjoy - killed in battle

Joffrey Baratheon - executed by the now King Stannis Baratheon of the Iron Throne.

Cersei Lannister - executed

So it's now Theon Greyjoy and Brandon Stark vs Stannis and Mace Tyrell vs Renly Baratheon

LOL, nice. I managed to kill Tywin Lannister in Darry on the first battle and lucked out and had Balon help me out. Executed Joffrey and Jaime Lannister (the latter for treason against King Robert). Cersei managed to get away and married some lower lord for protection. I declared for Stannis, but Renly got the throne anyway after Stannis died a few years later with no heir.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this, I had the demo but it was very confusing trying to learn how to play on unfamiliar geography plus I only want to play in Ireland mostly.

I've played the original, but is there anything I should know before starting off?

Decided I was going to play a 'slow' game, maintaing a small holding. Started as the Duke of Barcelona.

Saw that the King of Aragon had a female heir, so betrothed her to my son, who ended up as King of Aragon.

Then his son became betrothed to the female heir of Castille, which had united Galicia and conquered Portugal and nearly all of Hispania, so he eventually became Emperor of Spain.

Three generations. Duke. King. Emperor.

I also gained the whole of Egypt on a crusade.

So much for slow...

Best things about being Genghis Khan:

* Vanquishing your enemies

* Chasing them before you

* Robbing them of their wealth

* Seeing those dear to them bathed in tears

* Riding their horses

* Clasping to your bosom their wives and daughters

* No one else gets to be Genghis Khan

Worst things about being Genghis Khan:

* Immediately getting ELEVENTY BILLION DEMESNE TITLES after conquering Persia

* Running out of courtiers to give demesne titles to, assuring that everyone in the empire hates me

* Forgetting to claim the pagan holy site in Persia during the war, or at least conquering the wrong county

* Fucking Chagatai Khan striking out on his own during the invasion, starting his own little Ilkhanate or whatever, and then IMMEDIATELY DECLARING A WAR OF CONQUEST while I was off trying to claim said holy site

* The fucking "youngest child gets to be khan" succession rule ensuring that the mighty Temujin will be succeeded by a toe-sucking little toddler

* Who immediately gets beaten up by Chagatai Khan

* Also all of the title names are weird

• Like 2