Getting a guitar

VerbalPuke

You have a funny definition of beginner pedal :P. Low end is at 50 bucks, hah, but I'll give them a look. This is the first I've ever heard of them.

I do have a digitech multi effect pedal my old man gave me, it's from 1999, it's a big fucker with a ton of effects. I'm trying to keep it simple because that pedal is almost too much with the amount of effects, though I think it's more to do with me just not really liking the tones I get from it (I've had two friends that have played for years both say "Don't Do It" regarding digitech).

I want that goddamned Orange amp. Love those things. Lake Placid Blue on the Marauder is solid, too. Triple-coils, motherfucker. All the fuzz.

Re: beginner pedals. Since you're looking to go for beginner, I'd advise saving some coin and going with pedals made from ABS plastic instead of metal. Behringer is a good manufacturer here with all of their pedals going under the $50 (some as low as $25) brand new.

Zoom's good if you want a multi-effects pedal, but you can easily find them for sub-$50 used. For what you get out of a Zoom or DigiTech multi-effects, I'd just find them second-hand (my only complaint about them aside from price is that they're not user friend in the slightest). The best multi-pedal I've seen for the money has to be the Fender Mustang Floor. $200 and you get USB recording, all the sounds you'd ever want and more outputs than The Duggar Family.

Seriously, folks, feel happy to throw me any and all equipment questions. I've almost certainly played whatever it is and probably owned it at some point, too :shifty:

There's a lot of good beginners, a lot of folks stick with Squier's and Epiphones. I went with a Fender right off the bat because the Marauder was what I wanted, and I know I'm going to stick with this.

What kind of budget would you allow yourself? Just by browsing around musiciansfriend, I've found some nice looking knock off Telecasters, SG's, and Les Paul's for under 200 dollars. In fact, most music stores will sell a beginners kit with guitar, amp, and other things for a reasonable price.

Check this out Srar - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/solid-body-electric-guitars#pageName=category-page&N=500003+100504+100505&Nao=0&recsPerPage=20&v=g&Ns=pLH&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

I set that up so it's electric guitars from 50-200 dollars, sorted from it's lowest price to highest.

I want that goddamned Orange amp. Love those things. Lake Placid Blue on the Marauder is solid, too. Triple-coils, motherfucker. All the fuzz.

Re: beginner pedals. Since you're looking to go for beginner, I'd advise saving some coin and going with pedals made from ABS plastic instead of metal. Behringer is a good manufacturer here with all of their pedals going under the $50 (some as low as $25) brand new.

Zoom's good if you want a multi-effects pedal, but you can easily find them for sub-$50 used. For what you get out of a Zoom or DigiTech multi-effects, I'd just find them second-hand (my only complaint about them aside from price is that they're not user friend in the slightest). The best multi-pedal I've seen for the money has to be the Fender Mustang Floor. $200 and you get USB recording, all the sounds you'd ever want and more outputs than The Duggar Family.

Seriously, folks, feel happy to throw me any and all equipment questions. I've almost certainly played whatever it is and probably owned it at some point, too :shifty:

I was almost damn near settled on a Vox before falling in love with the Orange. I was always seeing the name, and decided to check one out and was like "Holy shit, that's the amp". The guitar is pretty slick honestly, it plays great, even though it's hard some polarizing reviews. You ever go to the ultimate guitar website/forums? Those are some real elitist dickhead types which is odd because I've always thought musicians were the exact opposite (in my experience anyway, they always seem to be helpful and patient). Anyway yeah, I've seen some not so kind reviews, and some that were straight up false because I have the damn thing, I know whats up. That triple bucker is a dream man, sounds great distorted, great sound.

When you said "Not user friendly" regarding the digitech, completely right. I may have mentioned that I have a Digitech RP7 multi effect pedal from 99 or so, and it's a pain in the balls to really work with. It's not hard to get the effect, but to actually make any adjustment on the effect is like trying to get my kid to eat his vegetables. A pain in the ass. It was free from my dad, so no harm, no foul, but it's probably going back to him.

As far as a pedal goes, I'm looking for simple, basically "this pedal does this, and only this". It's why I'm thinking the Metal Muff, yeah it has a decent amount of knobs, but that's just stuff for gain, distortion, volume, no bullshit really. Plus, the Muffs and Elektro Harmonix have a good reputation, as well as the price being not so bad, and the thing sounds mean.

Since you know your gear, ever mess with anything by Joyo, Modtone, or Boss? A lot of folks recommended Boss, and the Joyo and Modtone are two I've heard that sound decent, the Joyo being a cheaper pedal, somewhere in between a behringer and a boss it would seem.

OH YEAH, have you ever used the DOD or Digitech Grunge? Those fuckers are really polarizing, it seems like people either love them or hate them.

Word. Yamaha and Fender have good starter electric sets (guitar, amp, strap, cable, cords, tuner, Sherpa guide, etc.) for $200-$400 depending on what you want.

For acoustic guitars, I generally tell people to go for the Takamine Jasmines ($100, full-bodied acoustic) or Fender Parlor acoustics for a thinner body ($200).

Gibson/Epiphone Les Pauls/SGs and Fender Telecasters typically have thicker necks, which works for people with longer fingers. If you have smaller hands (yo), I like Fender Stratocasters and its army of clones.

Best advice is to just sit down with whatever catches your eye. If a guitar shop doesn't let you pick one up and play it, leave that shop immediately.

Do you mean easier physically, as in one guitar might be harder for smaller hands, or just the complexity of playing a song? I've not had much experience with an acoustic, so I can't say if those are harder than electric. I know that acoustic guitars are bigger and might require more dexterity from the hand you're making chords and notes with. What I do know is that electric is a hell of a lot more fun (for me anyway) so any difficulty is offset by the fact that I can alter my sound in so many ways and really dig on that. Midget is totally right though, so variation of a Stratocaster is a great starter, they're comfortable as hell to play and perfect for folks with small hands (you guys can count me in that group, little hands her).

Cool, I'll give it a try. I haven't actually tried to learn a song yet, I've just been fucking around with my own stuff. And by my own stuff, I mean nothing of any real use. I'm not very good at changing chords right now. I mean, I can do a D to D Minor, A to A Minor, or E to E minor (notice a pattern?) but as far as going A to E or D or C, not so much yet. I can stick with an A and just go down up a fret or two.

I've also been playing power chords a lot because they don't make me feel like a completely incompetent guitar player.

• Like 1

Oh, should probably give you a heads up that I made a few changes from that person's tab, since I think it sounds better:

1. Don't play the full F chord, but make sure to play the full E chord. Tab looks like this:

---------------------

---------------------

2-2-2-2-1 (let ring)

3-3-3-3-2 (let ring)

3-3-3-3-2 (let ring)

----------0 (let ring)

2. Don't play that stupid B chord the tab links you to. Just barre the B:

-

-

-

Music theory nerdiness spoilered, because I love me some theory nerd time:

The reason you have to play the correct E chord is that the crux of the riff is that 2nd-to-1st slide (A down to Ab/G#).

Cool man, I'm going to work on that, Blitzkrieg Bop (it looks easy and uses chords I am fairly decent with), and Happy Birthday (I found notes for it, looks easy, dont judge....). This ought to help with my changing chords. The Bray Wyatt song will sound really cool with my rig, dirty or clean.

• Like 1

Get a Takamine Jasmine S35 (~$100), take the pickguard off with a hair dryer (it's only tape that holds it on), then either restring it as a lefty or have someone do it for you. Even if you outsource the pickguard/stringing labor, you've still got a sub-$150 guitar that's built like a tank.

Thanks for the info, I wound up getting a steal on an Epiphone Les Paul Standard instead. Going to tinker with that for a while.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So I've been playing guitar less than a year, and now...I bought my second already. I'm becoming a bit obsessed with gear, amps, pedals, guitars, even strings. I love looking at this shit, and after playing my the Les Paul's my old man had, I decided to pull the trigger on a 2012 Les Paul Studio from Ebay. It's all black ebony, with gold hardware. My old man helped me swing the deal and actually did the purchasing, so I should hear from him when it ships. But yeah, now I have a really nice Les Paul for a great price to go with my Fender.

I almost was going to go with a Fender Mustang Pawnshop but ultimately settled for the Gibson to give myself some variety. I'll probably get a mustang someday, but for now I'm glad to have the variety in my quiver.

Oh and I am looking to get a nano big muff, a subdecay octasynth, a earthquaker devices rainbow machine, and probably some form of ring modulator. I like the weirdness of the last three, and dig the tone of the big muff for some fuzz when I want to go in a different direction than my Orange gives me (which is fucking fantastic).

• Like 1