The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Walt Disney this afternoon announced a deal to buy Lucasfilm from Star Wars director and film pioneer George Lucas for $4.05 billion in cash and stock.

Under terms of the deal, Lucas will be paid half in cash and half in the form of about 40 million Disney shares.

“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” Disney CEO Robert Iger said in a statement. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”

Lucas said in a statement that it is “now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”

“I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,” Lucas said. “I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

The deal includes not only Star Wars but also other businesses operated by Lucasfilm, including LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound. Disney said the current plan is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, now co-chairman of Lucasfilm, becomes president of the company, reporting to Disney Chairman Alan Horn. She’s also act brand manager for Star Wars. The announcement said she will serve as executive producer on new filns in the franchise, with Lucas as creative consultant. The announcement notes that Star Wars Episode 7 is scheduled for release in 2015, with more films expected to follow.

Stolen from Forbes, since they had the best article to quickly copy and paste. Bit of a shocker, but if it means new Star Tours at Disney, I'm all for it <_<

• Like 1

If the right person runs these things (Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) then it could be great. I'll withhold judgment until more news comes out, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

None of these things will happen and you all know it. I choose to remain completely and utterly negative about this, especially because the prequels were so god damn terrible and George Lucas hates his own franchise with a passion. Star Wars is going to get bonked up the wazoo even more than it already has been.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,"

Yeah, Ok.. you haven't been saying that for the last 10 years, Disney drops 4b into your lap and suddenly your tune is changed.

Thank Fuck. Disney can't do worse than Episodes 1-2, 3 was alright in the sense that this shit was finally over. I'll go see Ep 7, Disney hasn't shit the bed on anything in the last 15 years.

• Like 1

If the right person runs these things (Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) then it could be great. I'll withhold judgment until more news comes out, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :wacko:

Those are the three best you could come up with?

• Like 2

I'd rather see Peter Greenaway have a go.

• Like 2

Look at it this way. Star Wars is now in the hands of the studio that turned around Marvel Studios and made the Avengers. This is a positive development, since we all knew sooner or later somebody was going to make another Star Wars.

• Like 2

Yes

Rather than laugh it off, why don't you name some people you'd like to see and be productive to the topic at hand?

• Like 13