The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

The new single from Stone Sour (Do Me A Favor) is pretty damn good. It's hard to pinpoint what kind of band they are now though. Rock/Metal/Alternative? Either way Corey Taylor must be one of the best lyricists in the world.

Edited by Dexter87

He really isn't one of the hardest working musicians around. I am not saying he is bad, but if you think that his output is impressive that you really should look for more bands out there.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

So Suuns had some pre-order thing for their sophomore LP coming out this March. With it came an immediate download of the album. I am listening to the new Suuns album right now. God damn, it is amazing. For anyone who is interested in like experimental rock with an electronic and psychedelic tinge, go find Zeroes QC from 2010. One of the best albums of that year surely, and it has also grown into one of my favorite albums of modern times.

On the subject of impressive outputs; my friend once found this bedroom black metal guy who had released like, fifty something full-length albums in one year. Fuck if I can remember his name though.

Also, the news that because Katy Perry divorced Russell Brand, she is going to make her next album "dark and shoegaz-y" still has me giggling. I really hope she doesn't change her mind.

That track is much better than the first one he released. Much better.

I love both. Timberlake is going retro R&B, which I feel like will be the trend of 2013. Beyonce and Justin Timberlake are gonna release huge throw-back albums and kill this horrible 'house meets pop/hip hop' trend that is making the music industry so dire right now.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

NOTE FROM TRENT:

Nine Inch Nails are touring this year.

I was working with Adrian Belew on some musical ideas, which led to some
discussion on performing, which led to some beard-scratching, which
(many steps later) led to the decision to re-think the idea of what Nine
Inch Nails could be, and the idea of playing a show. Calls were made to
some friends, lots of new ideas were discussed, and a show was booked -
which led to another, which somehow led to a lot of shows.

The band is reinventing itself from scratch and will be comprised of Eric
Avery, Adrian Belew, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Eustis, Ilan Rubin, and
me. The first shows will begin this summer, followed by a full-on arena
tour of the US this fall, and lots of other dates worldwide to follow
through 2014.

Lots of details and dates to come. See you soon.

TR

This year has been absolutely fantastic for music so far, and between trying to save money, running out of space for CDs, HMV not getting in new stock for the last couple of months, and various other things, I've not bought half as much music as I normally would; probably spending as much in a month as I used to in a week, if not less than that.

So, considering I've not bought all that much, it's been fantastic.

Picked up the new album by Bonnie Prince Billy & Dawn McCarthy, which is all covers of songs that were written by, or famously performed by, The Everly Brothers. It's absolutely gorgeous, and a real tearjerker in places. Will Oldham is one of the most consistently brilliant artists around today, no matter what he's doing.

Picked up the new Mogwai album, too, though not had chance to listen to that one yet.

I've been on a Scott Walker kick lately, and "Bisch Bosch" is growing on me. I was unsure about it at first; for the first time in the "latter" part of his career, it sounded like he was rehashing ideas. There wasn't the development there had been between "Climate Of Hunter" and "Tilt", or between "Tilt" and "The Drift", and some of the lyrics were just downright silly. Despite that, I've found myself going back to it more and more lately, and starting to appreciate it more each time, even if I doubt I'll ever quite "get" Scott Walker screaming "Yo Mamma" jokes.

I'm still unconvinced by the new Nick Cave album - it's not bad, but some of the songs seem a little dull. They lack the dynamics I normally enjoy in the Bad Seeds. Sadly, I think Nick Cave is losing it a little. I'm always put off by his recent tendencies (certainly since the first Grinderman album, possibly going back to the last Bad Seeds album) to try and crowbar in pop-culture references, or consciously using words you don't expect to find in music. I'm sure it's an interesting experiment in challenging song-writing, but I don't really want to hear Nick Cave crooning the word "Wikipedia" or "Higgs Boson".

Johnny Marr's album's quality; nothing I'd listen to all that much, but a solid Britpop-y indie album.

mbv is brilliant, and another one that's getting fairly constant play by me lately.

I'm going to see Adam Ant next month, so I'm probably going to end up listening to his new one a lot more. It's about half fun and half throwaway pap, as far as I can remember.

New Bowie this week, exciting!

It really has been quite the year so far, yes. And there are still a lot of bigger releases that I haven't heard yet or given a proper listen to, that dropped these last two months; the new Nick Cave album and Tomahawk spring to mind.

mbv hasn't quite impacted me as it did others but it is without a doubt, a great record. To me, it feels like it is comparable to Isn't Anything in that there was a lot of new and untested things going on that, although the whole album feels somewhat complete, there is still that last thing that needs to click. If My Bloody Valentine are seriously coming back and being an active band, I think the follow up album (if there is going to be on) is going to be even better. Either way, I am still enjoying the record and I can't wait for that EP they said they would drop next year or whatever it was. Then again, this is my My Bloody Valentine we are talking about.

I have also enjoyed a massive amount of avant-garde and abstract music this year so far. Peer Group's Brutalist Sketches in the Style of Water Stained Concrete, Alberich's two new tapes and Helen Money's Arriving Angels, that is my contender for Album of the Year so far.

Redwood Hill, a post-metal act, also finally came out with their debut album last month and man, it was awesome. That new Cult of Luna LP is also growing on me. Humanfly are also sort of in the same league although they are more progressive rock-oriented but man, Awesome Science is a great fucking album. But disappointed with the new Portal album though, it really feels flat and boring to me; has anyone else on here listened to it?

Either way, the good severely outweighs the bad so far and stuff like the new Shining album, new Kvelertak, new Bowie, new Timberlake, new Truckfighters, new Wormed and new Summoning hasn't even dropped yet.

Picked up the new Mogwai album, too, though not had chance to listen to that one yet.

I'm still unconvinced by the new Nick Cave album - it's not bad, but some of the songs seem a little dull. They lack the dynamics I normally enjoy in the Bad Seeds. Sadly, I think Nick Cave is losing it a little. I'm always put off by his recent tendencies (certainly since the first Grinderman album, possibly going back to the last Bad Seeds album) to try and crowbar in pop-culture references, or consciously using words you don't expect to find in music. I'm sure it's an interesting experiment in challenging song-writing, but I don't really want to hear Nick Cave crooning the word "Wikipedia" or "Higgs Boson".

Johnny Marr's album's quality; nothing I'd listen to all that much, but a solid Britpop-y indie album.

I'm going to see Adam Ant next month, so I'm probably going to end up listening to his new one a lot more. It's about half fun and half throwaway pap, as far as I can remember.

New Bowie this week, exciting!

It really has been quite the year so far, yes. And there are still a lot of bigger releases that I haven't heard yet or given a proper listen to, that dropped these last two months; the new Nick Cave album and Tomahawk spring to mind..

Though I agree thatI don't really care to hear Nick Cave woo about Hannah Montana, the album's best quality is that I think they know they're old. Everything on there comes across like they're tired and moody; maybe a bit out of it. It all seems a bit hallucinogenic in a way that Les Claypool and others try to pull off, but can't quite. In short, I'm into that one for The Bad Seeds more than Nick Cave.

New Tomahawk just did not do it for me and I still cannot pinpoint why. Marr & Mogwai, though, are growing on me rather quickly. The new Marr album requires attention before you can really catch all the little things he does well. Mogwai album just works as background music, works as music to study, works as music to drive down the road to. Just a well-made album front to back.

Ant album wore out its welcome pretty quickly. The tracks that were decent to me almost lost luster by association with the last third or so of the album.

Can't wait for new Bowie and new Clutch.

Midget, you should give the new Humanfly a listen. I think you would like it very much. It is this kind of weird beast, mixing progressive rock, sludgy post-metal, some stoner rock elements with elements of post-hardcore too.

• Like 1

I'm going to hijack the thread for my own person gain, although this does fall under the banner of new music for 2013. My band have finally gone on indefinite hiatus, pending the arrival of the child of our singer/bassist and drummer - we're only a 3 piece, so I'm feeling very left out.

With that in mind we decided to finally record something as a last hurrah. It's still somewhat amateur, but tops the quality of anything else we previously put out.

So here's our free single should you care to give it a listen here, I can't see how to embed it so: http://clickybones.bandcamp.com/