Pens and Papers

KONGO

Also, I realized while I was DMing on Saturday that I suck at coming up with names for pubs/taverns/inns/whatever.

People! Help me make a list of shop names! And possibly booze/meals.

I use corny joke names myself, the cheesier the better. But barring that, try to use something appropriate to the owner or the city. Like, maybe the owner was a pikeman who was relieved of duty due to injuries, so the inn is called the Broken Spear.

I agree, the cheesier the better. I also like alteration. Or sometimes I come up with just the most retarded names ever....like "Beds, Beds and Beds"

• Like 1

Also, I realized while I was DMing on Saturday that I suck at coming up with names for pubs/taverns/inns/whatever.

People! Help me make a list of shop names! And possibly booze/meals.

Tylee's International House of Bacon :shifty:

• Like 1

I like "The <ADJECTIVE> <MONSTER FROM THE MONSTER MANUAL>" for my names, so I end up with things like The Wicked Dragon, The Sleeping Owlbear, or The Swarthy Manticore.

I'll make up a table later. :shifty:

Holy shit, a table would be awesome.

"You decide to get a drink at the *rolls*....The Dancing Corpse Orgy"

I like "The <ADJECTIVE> <MONSTER FROM THE MONSTER MANUAL>" for my names, so I end up with things like The Wicked Dragon, The Sleeping Owlbear, or The Swarthy Manticore.

I'll make up a table later. :shifty:

This method also works for generating power metal band names.

Yeah, all of my bartenders are _ank, where _ is determined by a roll of a D20 plus a D6 (or just a D26 if I'm doing it online), so if I'm pressed I'll just do that.

Roll a D20 for either table:

ADJECTIVES:

1 - Fanciful

2 - Dread

3 - Slavering

4 - Whimsical

5 - One-Eyed

6 - Ghastly

7 - Lucky

8 - Dancing

9 - Singing

10 - Rusty

11 - Sneaky

12 - Whispering

13 - Shrieking

14 - Gilded

15 - Woebegone

16 - Jagged

17 - Angry

18 - Happy

19 - Friendly

20 - Ugly

MONSTERS:

1 - Wyvern

2 - Minotaur

3 - Dragon

4 - Cyclops

5 - Firbolg

6 - Owlbear

7 - Unicorn

8 - Griffin

9 - Bugbear

10 - Kobold

11 - Goblin

12 - Ghoul

13 - Cloaker

14 - Worg

15 - Giant

16 - Manticore

17 - Hydra

18 - Mephit

19 - Balor

20 - Succubus

Roll 1D20 for each table and put 'em together. So you can get everything from The Friendly Balor to The Rusty Wyvern to The One-Eyed Cyclops.

• Like 1

The common one this game was 'Kamina's'. Kamina is the God of ale, wine, bravery, whatever.

Well, that makes sense, since it would give him the courage to do the impossible and see the invisible :shifty:

• Like 1

The Ugly Succubus (Y)

Actually a friend of mine had a printed article in dragon based on his pub naming thingy.

Came with even tables to name the bartender and his specialty drink!!!

If I find it I'll attach it all here.

You should find that.

:shifty:

So! My Pathfinder game!

Session 1:

The party is made up of four PCs. An Elven Bard named Krid McBardabs (left his rich, fancy life to be free! And sleep with many women), a Dwarven Alchemist named Healthy Steven (sells potions), a Sylph Oracle (no memory!) named Celleon (not sure on the spelling), and a Kitsune ranger named Saya (no backstory).

They all come to the small town of Alexandria, where they stop off at the local tavern called The Disco, ran by a nice man by the name of Stu. The Disco was beside a shop named "Taco's Bells And Other Things". As the party arrives one by one, they order drinks (Krid hits on the bar wench/Stu's wife), when Stu brings them all over and starts to tell them about the rat problem in his basement. Before Stu could offer the party a 'kill all the rats in the cellar' type job, two people burst into the tavern and start demanding money (they are loan sharks) from Stu. Krid decided to stand up for the man and went to cut his face....and ended up slashing his throat (one hit kill). The half-orc who was with the the loan shark left the bar and went to grab the guards. As the guards were trying to figure out what was happening, Saya (with her hatred of anything orcish) fired a shot....critical fail. It hit one of the guards and the group was arrested.

Somewhere in there I explained that the loan sharks were for a guy named Magic Mike, the crime lord in this shitty, not really important town.

While they are in prison, Krid begins to use Unseen Servant to try and bring their adventuring gear into the cell so they could break out. But before that happens, it turns out Stu posted their bail. Yay! Stu is such a nice fellow! ^_^ They are told to leave town and never return. But before they go, Stu offers them a drink. On the way back to the Disco, they smell fire...and if you can guess where this is going....

"There's a fire in The Disco! A fire in Taco's Bells!"

There, the party fights the Half-Orc and three peons. Apparently I suck at creating encounters because two party members were almost killed here. But, thankfully, they defeated the peons and the half-orc. Yay! Stu wants revenge for his bar being burnt down, and his wife possibly killed (the orc was in the process of explaining where she was, then Saya got bored and shot him).

They rest up/heal for the night and then head out in the morning to get revenge on Magic Mike (Stu posted a 200gp reward). They head to his manor and here is where everything I was expecting them to do goes off the rails. Instead of storming the front door, Healthy Steven decides to firebomb the place. Throwing bombs into two of the four ground floor rooms. One of the rooms was a library, the other was a barracks type thing where someone was sleeping (and roasted). The enemies inside were now distracted with trying to put out the fire, and the party quickly dispatched them (while the fire was put out in the library, but the barracks was still burning away. They enter the basement and it turns out Stu's wife is there! :o She's alive! And the door is locked! And nobody in the party has disable device! So they head back to the mainfloor, and then up the stairs where they find themselves in a creepy love dungeon type thing. And there...bam! Magic Mike, the sexiest sorcerer in all the land. They dispatch of him (he is of the Abyssal bloodline, at half HP I had him grow out his claws), tie him up and proceed to loot his room, finding a map to the fire off town of Goram, which has a date/address (roughly two months from that point) on it.

They drag his ass out of the house (after freeing Stu's wife and sending her on her way) and proceed to head towards Dunwall (fishing town) where Rapture Prison (a hole in the ground where they stick prisoners. No one escapes! EVER!) is located. They rest for a night near a forest where they hear a scream! Krid and Celleon go to check it out and they see a dark, cloaked figure standing over the obviously deceased body of a woman. Rather than confront the man and stop the ritual (this is going to be the over arching plot for awhile), they decide "Well, she's dead already, let's leave..."

Bastards.

They release Magic Mike into the 'care' of the Rapture guards, collect their money, and we end there.

Before you judge me...I'm still new to DMing :shifty: That was my first game. And yes, most of the names/locations in this are references to video games, movies, etc...

• Like 1

Yup, you have every 0 level spell (minus spells from opposed schools), but you have to pre-plan which ones to use in a day. So, you might pick Spark, Light and Ghost Sound, but you find out later you really need Detect Magic. That's the problem with Wizards, you have to try and figure out what you will be going up against, and figuring out which spells to bring. Sorcerer, while they have a lower number of spells known overall, they don't need to prepare, and have all of their tools available at all times.

So, here is my character. I kind of want to be an all-around character, both doing damage and helping my party. This is what I took.

STR 10

DEX12

CON 10

INT 14

WIS 12

CHA 18

Spells

Lvl 0 - Message, Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Resistance

Lvl 1 - Magic Missile, Mage Armor

Bloodline - Celestial (giving me Heavenly Fire so I can heal and attack)

Feats

Combat Casting

Eschew Material

Improved Initiative

Any ideas or suggestions?