EWB Football Prediction League 2013-14

Starvinho

Post in the thread if you want in. We need a maximum of 14 players. The game will run for 39 weeks starting on the first weekend of the season. I'd rather not have as many dropouts as we did last season, so if you want to play then be committed to play for the whole duration. I will send out more reminders to help people along though.

I'll be running this the same as last season. However, if you have any suggestions for things that you want changing or tweaking, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'll get a full list of rules up at a later date but for those who are unsure how this works, check out thread.

Who's In (14)

Starvinho

Gazz

Jimmy

Ant

JohnnyPerfect

Baddar

Colly

Cymru96

LBTN

DavidMarrio

Jam

Gorka

HailtotheKing

TCO

Rules

Everyone will play everyone else 3 times throughout the season, 39 games overall.

You'll predict on 6 fixtures each week, mainly Premier League fixtures, but with some international, FA Cup, League Cup, etc games thrown in as well.

You'll get 3pts for a correct fixture prediction, 1pt for a correct fixture outcome or 0pts for an incorrect fixture prediction.

You'll get 3pts for a game win, 1pt for a game draw or 0pts for a game loss.

Predictions must be posted in the thread before the deadline. The deadline will usually be Saturday 3pm, if this is ever different then I'll state so in the thread and/or PM reminders. You may edit your predictions as many times as you like before the deadline, just let me know in the thread if you do so.

If you fail to get your predictions in before the deadline then you'll automatically lose your game for that week. However, there'll be no free wins this season. Instead, non-predictors will be replaced that week by Lawro/Merse/Other, and whoever plays the non-predictor will have to work for their win/draw by going up against the replacement's predictions. I hope that makes sense...

As for the league, the member with the most points will be top. If points are equal between two or more members then it'll go down to points difference (PD), then prediction points scored (F), then games won (W) and finally alphabetical order.

Edited by Starvinho

I want in, I know I came in as a replacement last season, and then ended up moving to the UK and having no internet so that was bad timing, but I'm not moving anytime soon. :P

In.

I can't help but feel that playing against someone who didn't predict and automatically getting the win could do with a slight change.

Ideally everyone will predict every week, but it's not realistic, and near the end of last season, people were getting free wins left right and centre.

Maybe if two or more people fail to predict, you do all you can to pair them up evenly before deciding the other fixtures?

In. Can't do worse than last year.

I still think dropouts should be replaced with Lawro and Merson, with the dropout getting zero points regardless but still meaning the opponent actually has to get a few to get the points.

If it's only the odd time someone forgets to predict then I think giving them an automatic loss is a good thing. But I do agree that towards the end of last season when a few people had completely dropped out and people were getting free wins every week, it did start to get a bit ridiculous. If a situation like that arises again then we could use random predictions or Lawro's predictions (I'm sure someone mentioned this last season) instead of just giving away free wins? That way it keeps the league competitive all the way through to the end.

If it's only the odd time someone forgets to predict then I think giving them an automatic loss is a good thing. But I do agree that towards the end of last season when a few people had completely dropped out and people were getting free wins every week, it did start to get a bit ridiculous. If a situation like that arises again then we could use random predictions or Lawro's predictions (I'm sure someone mentioned this last season) instead of just giving away free wins? That way it keeps the league competitive all the way through to the end.

Using Lawro is fine when needed, but pairing the non-predictors together when randomising the fixtures would make it easier for us all.

Obviously, if an odd amount of players fail to predict, then using Lawro/whoever as an opponent will suffice.

Wouldn't that just cause headaches though at the end of the season when you run out of 'predicting' opponents? You'd essentially be turning a random fixture draw into the actual Premier League one where you 'accidentally' have three Grand Slam Sundays a season...

Just take the gaps and toss a coin for each, heads its Lawro, tails its Merson.

I'm in again. But I do agree that things could be altered in regards to people who don't predict for a certain amount of weeks.

Wouldn't that just cause headaches though at the end of the season when you run out of 'predicting' opponents? You'd essentially be turning a random fixture draw into the actual Premier League one where you 'accidentally' have three Grand Slam Sundays a season...

Just take the gaps and toss a coin for each, heads its Lawro, tails its Merson.

How would you run out of opponents? Pretty sure he does the fixtures separately each week as opposed to a fixture list as such. Could be wrong.

I think he does, but say you've already played me, but whoever your opponent is the following week drops out you couldn't play me again so the Lawro rule would have to come in. It's random, but we only play each other three times? Just feels easier to not shuffle the draw afterwards, especially when he won't know who isn't in until kickoff of the first game, by which time the fixtures for that week should be final.

I won't be able to shuffle the fixtures anyways, it just makes it too awkward. I do a random draw for the fixtures at the beginning of each cycle and then leave it at that. That way it doesn't get fucked up and everyone plays everyone once in a cycle, and three times over the season.

But I'm all up for using Lawro or Merse or someone when someone forgets to predict, then at least there'll be no free wins and should make it a better league in the long run. The non-predictor will always receive zero points mind, it just means their opponent will have to work for their win/draw.

That sound good?

Edit: Also, the places are filling up fast. I'm gonna reserve Gazz a place as he's our reigning champion but apart from that there's only four spots remaining.

Edited by Starvinho

I won't be able to shuffle the fixtures anyways, it just makes it too awkward. I do a random draw for the fixtures at the beginning of each cycle and then leave it at that. That way it doesn't get fucked up and everyone plays everyone once in a cycle, and three times over the season.

But I'm all up for using Lawro or Merse or someone when someone forgets to predict, then at least there'll be no free wins and should make it a better league in the long run. The non-predictor will always receive zero points mind, it just means their opponent will have to work for their win/draw.

That sound good?

Given that that's exactly my suggestion and my next argument was to stamp my feet and hold my breath til I got my own way, yep I'm all for that.