NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

Wouldn't shock me in the least to find out Adam Silver pushed a team to give a 10 day contract before Michael Sam was drafted so they could be first. Still believe he has no place in the NBA based on what he offers. I think coming out was a last ditch effort at relevancy.

He's tall. That's pretty much all you have to have for a place in the NBA right now.

Wouldn't shock me in the least to find out Adam Silver pushed a team to give a 10 day contract before Michael Sam was drafted so they could be first. Still believe he has no place in the NBA based on what he offers. I think coming out was a last ditch effort at relevancy.

He's tall. That's pretty much all you have to have for a place in the NBA right now.

Is it though? Centre has been removed from the ASG, there is a dearth of genuine talented centres and plenty of teams seem to not care since they are using what would have been 4's at centre. Omer Asik who is seen as one of the most valuable rim protectors in the league wasn't worth giving up draft picks for and rim protectors are about the only centres still valued.

That dearth is precisely why there's a market for big men that can play some semblance of defense, especially teams in the East that have to go through the Pacers (and Hibbert). It's why guys like Collins, Oden, Jermaine O'Neal, Nazr Mohammed, etc. still have jobs.

And Asik wasn't traded because his contract is ridiculous, not because teams weren't interested in his talent. Plus, teams are hesitant to trade picks now, especially in this upcoming draft.

Yeah, I was completely joking about Collins not belonging in the league. He's a backup big who adds some physicality to a team, plays defense, takes charges, and uses his fouls. Any team that expects to be in the playoffs can use a guy like that, and I highly doubt he was signed for any reason other than the Nets thought he could help them on the court.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for the Knicks to continue to suck with an overpaid Phil Jackson in charge. I'm still not sure how he didn't land in LA if he wanted to return so bad.

Jim Buss doesn't like him even though he's dating his sister. That's why they chose Mike D'Antoni over him to coach.

I think he doesn't like him specifically because he's engaged to his sister. From everything you read the Buss family is like a soap opera.

When Dr. Buss died, one of his dying wishes was that the family stay in control of the team, and that Jim Bss runs basketball operations. That means the Lakers won't give Phil the same power he got in NY.

I believe Dr. Buss also wanted the team to have an up-tempo offense, which lead to the D'Antoni hire.

The team is a mess, but they have one of the best GMs in the NBA, and they'll have a new coach next year. The Buss family isn't as messed up as everyone thinks, and I still have confidence things will get turned around.