Similar sounding songs/songs with the same backing track

METALMAN

I know I'm like a hundred years behind everyone else, but I recently discovered this:

Anyway, both are really good songs, so I'm not going to begrudge Amy and Mark nicking that from Motown. It's just odd though. Outside of Kanye West, I've never come across anyone just reusing a backing track from start to finish.

When Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" used to be played 9 times a day on the radio, I'd always go to my happy place and sing the lyrics to "Message in a Bottle" by the Police instead.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't read the full title and thought it was just "similar sounding songs". Never mind.

• Like 1

When Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" used to be played 9 times a day on the radio, I'd always go to my happy place and sing the lyrics to "Message in a Bottle" by the Police instead.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't read the full title and thought it was just "similar sounding songs". Never mind.

Someone actually did that on Radio 1s Live Lounge, I forget who.

There's that One Direction one? I don't know what it's called, only became aware of it due to Nevermind The Buzzcocks, but one of their songs, the intro is identical to Baba O'Riley. Which is ridiculous.

Also, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is predominantly "More Than A Feeling", and there's a Chili Peppers song I can't be bothered reminding myself of that rips off the intro to Jeff Buckley's "Eternal Life".

There's that One Direction one? I don't know what it's called, only became aware of it due to Nevermind The Buzzcocks, but one of their songs, the intro is identical to Baba O'Riley. Which is ridiculous.

Best Song Ever. That's what its called, not my opinion on it. The single before steals its intro from Should I Stay Or Should I Go. Can't say it bothers me, they're inoffensive and nowhere near as bad as people like to think even if as a 30 year old its hardly my cup of tea. They're supposedly mates with the Vaccines which is odd.

Also, Gotyes Somebody I Used to Know steals its backing track from Baa Baa Black Sheep. And is shit.

• Like 1

Best Song Ever. That's what its called, not my opinion on it. The single before steals its intro from Should I Stay Or Should I Go. Can't say it bothers me, they're inoffensive and nowhere near as bad as people like to think even if as a 30 year old its hardly my cup of tea. They're supposedly mates with the Vaccines which is odd.

I'd forgotten all about that Should I Stay Or Should I Go one, probably never knew it was them and only heard it once or twice.

I don't waste any energy on hating One Direction, as I rarely come into contact with their music, and I know it's not aimed at me. I always find it baffling how much 20 and 30-somethings allow themselves to be annoyed by the likes of them and Bieber - surely they don't have any impact on your life whatsoever, and they're not doing it for you, so what does it matter?