EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

I can't stand Guns and Roses, blech.

Slayer is alright, Reign in Blood is good and Undisputed Attitude is fun if only because it's a bunch of punk covers. Otherwise they're kind of there. Honestly, I think I like thrash metal from the last ten years much better than the 80s thrash.

The Kinks are fine by me, they've never blown me away but they're not bad. I've never been a huge British invasion guy as it is, so I'd consider the Kinks one of my preferred ones of that era.

Wu-Tang is cool, I don't like a lot of rap, but I like Wu-Tang.

I always forget how much I actually like Smashing Pumpkins.

Gorillaz are alright but I find them fairly overhyped.

ASAP Rocky's no Aesop Rock, that's for sure.

I'm kinda over the White Stripes now but for a long time they were one of my absolute favourites.

I never cared for either The Smashing Pumpkins, Gorillaz or White Stripes outside of just a few songs. I sort of like A$AP Rocky though. However, he is very fortunate to have talented producers in his back-pocket because otherwise he would have never made it as far as he has - seeing as his spitting ability is not really that amazing.

Smashing Pumpkins are a bit dull, and take themselves rather too seriously, but at least they're not Zwan. Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness was a pretty good album, though, and they had a couple of real stand-out singles. Another one I'm surprised to see pop up on a favourite artists list in 2013, though.

I never really cared for Gorillaz at all...I'm not sure why, either, as they're quite a lot of fun, and in theory the sort of thing I'd like, but very few of their songs have ever worked for me.

I have no idea what ASAP Rocky is.

The White Stripes are nice enough. I still don't really understand how they got as big as they did, and find a lot of their later stuff fairly insufferable if only because it got played to death. I could listen to the more twee, lo-fi stuff like "Hotel Yorba" or "I Can Tell That We Are Going To Be Friends" forever, though. Some great tunes.

The Smashing Pumkins are okay. I really like Today, Cherub Rock and 1979. I guess those are like their most famous songs but deservedly so. They are all I really bother with.

I never got into the first two Gorillaz albums, but I really liked Plastic Beach at the time. I've not listened to it for a while. I'd be curious to see how it stands up.

From what I've heard of A$AP Rocky he's very samey. I wouldn't turn it off, but I'm in no hurry to add it to my collection.

The White Stripes are okay. I'm not much of a snob when it comes to musical ability, but Meg's drumming is awful and ruins a lot of the songs for me, and it got worse as the band went on. Jack White isn't much of a songwriter - far too often he stretches a riff out into oblivion. That being said, White Blood Cells is a good album and My Doorbell is a good latter day highlight, as is the song that sounds just like it.

Los Campesinos! have released quite a few albums, and that is probably to their detriment. What they had for their first EP and maybe their first one and a half albums was quite good fun, but since then all they have done is mopey smart arse tedium with an annoying voice. You can tell that lyrically they aspire to Morrissey's style, but they don't have the wit or subtlety. Still, You!, Me!, Dancing! was class.

Drake is okay, but no, actually he is a bit shit. Whiny, entitled nonsense. Talentless.

Frank Ocean is quite good. The only one in OFWGKTA worth a toss.

I have a soft spot for RHCP. They were one of the "proper" bands I got into, and I listened to them a hell of a lot when I was a kid. I'd probably still enjoy Californication. People of my age who still regard RHCP as being a great band are a bit silly though. The singer in one of my old bands is now in a RHCP tribute band. :/