EOY 2013 - Albums, singles, videos, etc.

RPS

What's been your favorite releases of the year? Who was the artist of the year? Any favorite news stories? Any big surprises?

Personally, my favorite album of the year will probably end up being Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. I think the album is fantastic mix of nostalgia, fantastic song writing, and a breath of fresh air from the house-lite obsessed approach to EDM (and pop music). Daft Punk was a huge presence in house music and it's only fitting when it's become as mainstream and derivative as it is now, they come back and kick it in the ass. A lot of great mixtape releases too, including free ones from Death Grips, Run the Jewels, Action Bronson, Le1f, and Mykki Blanco, which in my opinion was better than anything released by a label. Also, a shit load of great electronic music - from Moderat to Machinedrum to Darkside.

There was a number of really terrible releases this year, too. Probably more than in recent years. I hated Kanye's new album. Lady Gaga's new album was a complete and utter turd. Eminem's new album bored the hell out of me. The new Arcade Fire album bored me. The new MGMT album was a flop. Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience pt 2 was beyond boring.

• Like 1

Basically, Bowie. That album is glorious.

Off to see Haim in two weeks, very much worked for me in a year where I rediscovered Fleetwood Mac. Otherwise I've not really listened to much new, though I did enjoy the newies from Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand.

Ooh, and I really like In Love by Peace. Indie with just a touch of bite which I like, plus the singles were ace.

Hmmmmmm. I have a few albums from this year but the ones I would say I genuinely like and will listen to going forward are "The Electric Lady" by Janelle Monae, "Yeezus" by Kanye West, "Random Access Memories" by Daft Punk, and "Event 2" by Deltron 3030.

I have the Bowie album from this year but only one song from that really grabbed me on the first listen, and I haven't listened a second time. I have the first 20/20 Experience from Justin Timberlake which is overlong and only has a couple really good songs amongst the rest of it.

Yeah, I should really get around to updating that list thing I did with Midget. :shifty: I haven't updated here but I have kept it up to date still, so I just need to post it.

Nothing has yet to top the Helen Money album, Arriving Angels, from early this year, though. There are still a few candidates left that might do so but they are dwindling heavily, and even then, they are stilll facing fierce compeition from Disclosure's Settle.

Yeah, I should really get around to updating that list thing I did with Midget. :shifty: I haven't updated here but I have kept it up to date still, so I just need to post it.

Nothing has yet to top the Helen Money album, Arriving Angels, from early this year, though. There are still a few candidates left that might do so but they are dwindling heavily, and even then they, they are stilll facing fierce compeition from Disclosure's Settle.

On the subject of this - I've loved what you two have been doing and I am totally going to do it next year. It'll motivate me to actually listen through some new music hopefully.

But Yeezus has been doing it for me pretty much, even if I've waned off it a bit. The Electric Lady is kind of sitting on my backburner now as well, as I've listened through it once in the car with my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it. She's been blaring the new Los Campesinos as well, but I only really know Avacado, Baby at this point.

If anyone liked/likes WU LYF or alt-j or just great British indie rock in general then they should check out MONEY's debut album The Shadow of Heaven. One of the surprises of the year for me.

Edited by TroutMaskReplica

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody who is a musical junkie and wants to see how the end of year is shaping up, as always i recommend www.acclaimedmusic.net . They do a tally of year end lists and give a somewhat definitive critical consensus on the albums of the year. Thus far, I think it is a tie between Yeezus, Random Access Memories and the new Vampire Weekend.

I will do songs and albums

Albums

KNOCK DOWN AMAZING BEST CD EVER

The Cribs - Payola (but a compilation so doesn't really count)

VERY GOOD

CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe

The Strokes - Comedown Machine

Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady

These New Puritans - Field Of Reeds

David Bowie - The Next Day

Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze

Kanye West - Yeezus

GOOD

Bob Dylan - Another Self Portrait

Everything Everything - Arc

M.I.A. - Matangi

Johnny Marr - The Messenger

QUITE GOOD

Goodie Mob - Age Against The Machine

Arctic Monkeys - AM

Benga - Chapter II

Mount Kimbie - Cold Spring Fault Less Youth

Haim - Days Are Gone

Camera Obscura - Desire Lines

Factory Floor - Factory Floor

Pond - Hobo Rocket

The Weeknd - Kiss Land

Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork

My Bloody Valentine - m b v

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

Paul McCartney - New

Anna Calvi - One Breath

Biffy Clyro - Opposites

James Blake - Overgrown

Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels

Caitlin Rose - The Stand-In

The Duckworth Lewis Method - Sticky Wickets

Edwyn Collins - Understated

Matias Aguayo - The Visitor

Palma Violets - 180

BAD

Lady Gaga - Artpop

Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle

Babyshambles - Sequel To The Prequel

Justin Timberlake - 20/20 Experience

I'm not sure what my individual favourite album was. Probably Kurt Vile.

Songs

1.Kurt Vile - Wakin' On A Pretty Day

2. Foals - My Number

3. CHVRCHES - Strong Hand

4. Rihanna - Diamonds (fuck off <_<)

5. David Bowie - Where Are We Now?

6. CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share

7. Everything Everything - Kemosabe

8. Haim - Forever

9. CHVRCHES - Recover

10. Janelle Monae - Q.U.E.E.N.

11. Kanye West - Bound 2

12. CHVRCHES - Lies

13. The Cribs - Leather Jacket Love Song

14. David Bowie - Valentine's Day

15. Janelle Monae - Electric Lady

Laura Marling, Ghostface Killah, Future of the Left, Beans on Toast, Jamie Lenman, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, Earl Sweatshirt, Darwin Deez, Alessi's Ark and dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip all released wonderful stuff this year. Best of the year's a tough one to call though.

Good year though. Well done everyone.

My favourite album of the year has to be Elvis Costello & The Roots - Wise Up Ghost, it's a fresh sound for Costello and an amazing collaboration, Costello & The Roots have a unique chemistry and it's proof that Costello still has it in him in my opinion. 'Walk Us Uptown' and 'Refuse to be Saved' in particular really stand out, and the album has a funky feel to it as a whole.