Let's Look At All Of The UK Number Ones From 2003!

Berober

Daniel Bedingfield - Never Gonna Leave Your Side

27 July 2003 - 3 August 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8iBm783bKo

It's... this guy! Daniel Bedingfield managed to have modest success in the early 2000s, as seen here with his song Never Gonna Leave Your Side.

"Fun" Fact: This was his last of three UK number ones, and he currently plies his trade as a judge on The X Factor New Zealand, with such superstars as a member of All Saints and a winner of Australian Idol!

Opinion: It's pretty. I think that's probably the most apt way to describe this. Basically take Ronan Keating and remove his accent and you're left with this song. Inoffensive and not horrible.

Could You Buy This Song On Cassette Tape?: You Could!

How Would It Fare Today?: Not fantastically. At best it could make a push for the top thirty, but nothing about this song is that special, and the early noughties were a time where you could get away with a song like this because all of the emerging boyband-turned-solo-artist types were throwing out songs like this to prove they could 'sing'. What a simple time that was.

Blu Cantrell feat Sean Paul - Breathe

3 August 2003 - 31 August 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfTC2o05OEw

And spending three weeks in the top spot was Blu Cantrell with Breathe. Sean Paul added vocals in this song for the single release.

"Fun" Fact: This song takes the instrumental from 1999 Dr Dre song "What's The Difference", which took it's sample from french song "Parce Que Tu Crois" by Charles Aznavour. I did say these facts were "fun".

Opinion: It's cool. I didn't like it the first time I listened to it, but it grew on me. It helps that the background beat is really good, although it has been done better, obviously with the Dr Dre song, but also elsewhere.

Could You Buy This Song On Cassette Tape?: Nope.

How Would This Fare Today?: Top twenty I reckon. It'll sort of just be there, but it won't ever do anything special to the music scene. But top twenty isn't a bad thing to happen.

Next time!

Lots and lots of love!

I don't mind Bedingfield but he had better songs than that one. Plus his sister is all kinds of hot.

I loved Breathe back when it was released but it's not really something I'd go back and listen to now.

We're getting to the point of 2003 where I was learning to drive so I've got songs that remind me of that, if my music radar is working then I'm thinking the next pair will include someone asking if we're ready for something...

• Like 1

The Bedingfield song is so bland. I'd venture to suggest it would actually do okay. There's still a good market for that kind of dullness. Look at Ed Sheeran or The Lumineers or whatevs.

Breathe is pretty good. Almost entirely down to the sample, but yeah, the only good thing Sean Paul has ever done.

I remember listening to the chart show taping these songs off of the radio. A different time!

Elton John - Are You Ready For Love
31 August 2003 - 7 September 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSA7pSvh-o

Okay, who doesn't know who Elton John is? One of the all-time most successful artists ever had a number one here for a week with Are You Ready For Love, remixed and rereleased in 2003 after being recorded in 1977.

"Fun" Fact: This song reached number one based on it being shown in an advert for the new Sky Sports football season. Football fans like Elton John.

Opinion: I can't complain about this song. It's very 70s, and being born in 1993, that is a bit lost on me. I don't hate it, but unlike other songs on this list, this is the first one that wasn't intended to be a number one in 2003, so it sticks out a bit.

Could You Buy This Song On Cassette Tape?: Not that I could see

How Would This Fare Today?: I have no bloody clue. I think Elton John still has an audience, but this was quite unexpected. I think I'll take a cue from the Talk Talk advert that was on this year, and suggest it'd do about as well as that coming from an advert and say low top 40.

Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love?

7 September 2003 - 19 October 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

We arrive at the best selling single of the year. Of all the songs that were released by all the artists over the last 10 years, I don't think there are many bands that could claim to have changed genre as much as the Black Eyed Peas. Long before they were boom boom powing, and I gotta feelingd, they released their first song with new addition Fergie.

"Fun" Fact: That chorus? You would be correct in assuming Justin Timberlake sang that. JT was concerned about overexposure, especially if this song took off, so he remains uncredited with singing the chorus in this song.

Opinion: It's great. If anything, listening to newer BEP songs makes this one stand out more. Timberlake's vocals are a great fit for the chorus, as opposed to Fergie and will.I.am whose voices aren't soft enough for it, and yeah, the future songs they make definitely keep this one in my mind, considering where they ended up.

Could You Buy This Song On Cassette Tape?: Nope.

How Would This Fare Today?: Top ten at least. Black Eyed Peas songs make top ten no matter what nowadays, although I think if this song was out today then JT wouldn't worry about hiding his involvement, and that along might make a strong case for it being a number one song. A case I agree with.

Next Time!

Someone has a hollow skull...

Those are two fine songs, I'm afraid I don't share your apathy of Are You Ready For Love?, I'd put it up there with my favourite songs of the year. I knew JT sang on Where is the Love but didn't know he wanted to keep it a secret, I don't think I've ever heard of a popstar concerned about overexposure before.

Where Is The Love Is Okay. Nothing special, and the Peas have had plenty of better songs themselves. I'm listening to it for the first time in ages right now and I'm struck by how dull it is. They've had far better.

And Elton John has had far better than "Are You Ready For Love". But he actually has meaningful pedigree. This song is a really good remix. The original from nineteen seventy-whatever was lovely but the remix gives it a real radio friendly sheen. A really good song.

Speaking of Elton John remixes, that Pnau album from last year was fantastic,

Hole In The Head - Sugababes

19 October 2003 - 26 October 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxCpfFLyBGE

Sugababes! They get on the number one list with their one week charting effort here, using two of the original Sugababes, unlike today where none of them were there from the start.

"Fun" Fact: It took eight people to write this song. I'm not sure if that's abnormally high or not, but it's certainly above the average.

Opinion: It's good. Upbeat and light, the chorus is good and I can see myself leaving this song running in the background while I'm working. Good and unobtrusive, definitely a thumbs up.

Could You Buy This Song On Cassette Tape?: Nope!

How Would It Fare Today?: Top twenty for sure, maybe higher if the public are pining for a girlband song, which can happen.

Be Faithful - Fatman Scoop

26 October 2003 - 9 November 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmnEhmjgZ9s

Fatman Scoop made the top of the charts for two weeks with this song, rereleased after first being released in 1999.

"Fun" Fact: Forget what I said about the writers on the Sugababes' song, this song had 27 writers. Is there even that many lines in this song?

Opinion: I had forgotten about this song, but as soon as the chorus came in, I remembered it. I think that's the strength of this song, is that parts of it are really memorable. Otherwise it's just a lot of rapping, but the strengths outweigh the negatives for me.

How Would It Fare Today?: Um. This song samples about 6 other songs and I'd suspect that if the creation of this song was in 2013, that it'd sample a load of different songs. I'm not suggesting the song wouldn't do badly, but that it'd be a whole other song today in my opinion.

Next Time!

I told you they would be back...

Kylie Minogue - Slow
9 November 2003 - 16 November 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omrp4QR_Rpo

Kylie gets her sixth number one here for a week with Grammy award winning 'Slow'.

"Fun" Fact: This is the last song to chart in America, coming in at number 91. Americans don't like Kylie any more it seems.

Opinion: It started off pretty accurately, slow. But, I have to say the song grew on me a lot as I was listening to it and by the end I was actually quite enjoying it. Score one for Kylie.

How Would This Song Fare Today?: I heard, funnily enough, a bit of Lay Gaga in this song, although not ARTPOP amounts. I think it'd still do well even today, maybe even top 20. I'd hope so.

Busted - Crashed The Wedding
16 November 2003 - 23 November 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-c5mYmMSEk

I told you they would be back. Busted are the first and only band to get two number one singles this year with their next effort here, Crashed The Wedding.

"Fun" Fact: Quote from Wikipedia. "Crashed The Wedding has also been on Karaoke playlists as well." Yup. Big time.

Opinion: Fun song, it's upbeat and shies a little bit away from the other pop songs of it's time by having that electric guitar playing. Probably a bit better than You Said No by virtue of it not being about getting back at a girl by sleeping with their sister.

Could You Buy This Song On Cassette Tape?: You Could!

How Would This Song Fare Today?: Top five. Mostly because of the whole McBusted thing, I'm sure there would be enough people wanting to buy the newest song from everybody's favourite nostalgic supergroup, and it'd make top ten quite comfortably and maybe even top five.

Next Time!

W upside down is M.

Crashed The Wedding is certainly one of the better Busted songs so that gets a thumbs up from me. They still come across as bastards in the lyrics though.

I think I felt the same way as you about Slow, I didn't like it at first as it was so different to Kylie's previous modern stuff, but it grew on me as time went on.

Mandy - Westlife

23 November 2003 - 30 November 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShlE-xobyw

Ah Westlife. You didn't think that we'd have an early 2000s number one list without these boys from Ireland? Well don't you worry, we have our Westlife fix right here!

"Fun" Fact: This is a cover of a 1974 hit by Barry Manilow, who covered it from 1971 artist Scott English, who called the song Brandy. Apparently Manilow thought the song sounded too similar to another song at the time and so changed it to Mandy.

Opinion: If you've never listened to a Westlife song, this is basically what they all sound like. If this isn't your thing then fair enough, but I quite like it. I wouldn't seek these songs out but they're nice to listen to when I have to.

How Would This Song Fare Today?: Probably low twenties. Westlife aren't really a force in the 2013 music scene, but they have enough name recognition and, as I said, you'll know if you want to buy this song or not already.

Leave Right Now - Will Young

30 November 2003 - 14 December 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrSLLv0AlA

More talent shows! Here we have the winner of Pop Idol, carrying this song to number one for two weeks.

"Fun" Fact: The song managed to crack the US Hot 100, seven years after it came out when it was featured in the penultimate episode of American Idol.

Opinion: It's a good song. It's not Will Young's best song though, but it's nice and just emotive enough that it's not dull. I think in a way, it would've been better for being even more emotive but it's good.

How Would It Fare Today?: I'll take the Billboard as a reference, multiply it by being released in it's home nation, and it'd probably fare around top twenty or so.

Next time!

Christmas number one!