The General 2014 Music Festival Thread For Music Festival Chat

K

Next years festivals are probably starting to reveal their lineups and such. What's everyone planning to do next year?

My festival of choice for the past two-years has been Rock Werchter, in a small town just outside of Leuven in Belgium. It's an interesting festival, absolutely enormous, (One of the five largest in Europe, with 85,000 guests each day) however there's very little to do outside of watching bands. I love it though. The music lasts four days, and you can turn up a day early to camp.

The music is incredibly varied, so you'll need to have quite a wide appreciation of genres, and an open mind. There's only three stages, and generally only two of those will have a band on at any one time, so at some point you're gonna have to watch someone you've never heard of, but I quite enjoy that.

Last years headliners were Green Day, Blur, Rammstein and the Editors (Belgium fucking loves the Editors, don't ask me why) and my highlights were Airbourne, The Hives, Dizzee Rascal, The Bots, Charles Bradley and his Extraordinaries, Angel Haze, Graveyard, Volbeat, Rammstein, Trash Talk and Gogol Bordello.

After the headliners, there's normally a dance act on the main stage which keeps the party going until about 3am, with bands starting again at midday.

This years confirmed acts include Metallica, The Arctic Monkeys, The Pixies, Skrillex, Major Lazer, Placebo, Franz Ferdinand, Triggerfinger.

Tickets cost ~EUR230 and includes free travel inside Belgium.

Everyone I've met at this festival have been brilliant, and I made some friends the first year that have become a big part of my life. Everyone is looking to have a good time, and there seems to be no violence or stupidity like you get at some UK festivals.

For the past two years the weather has been outrageously hot, which makes a nice change from British festivals as well.

Last year I also nabbed a free ticket to TRUCK festival, because some friends of mine were playing, it's an independent festival in Oxfordshire, England. It was absolutely my dream small festival. There's no corporate sponsorship, the food vans are run by charities and are dead cheap, they have an enormous beer selection and a huge number of acts play over a two day period. It's a family festival, so there are loads of kids there having a great time, and it's just a lovely environment. Maximum capacity of ~3000, so you keep bumping into the same faces, which is really nice. Last year was headlined by The Horrors and Spiritualised, neither of which I'm particularly into, but there's about seven stages and the beauty of this festival is discovering new, small and unknown bands. It's a wonderful, wonderful experience.

According to their little bio on efestivals...

Truck is one of the UK's best and longest standing independent small festivals, a village fete meets Woodstock with a cutting edge musical policy, free of any sponsorship or corporate agenda. Held in family friendly, safe and secure surroundings overflowing with entertainment, it's about music, community and being outdoors.

It's lovely.

No confirmed acts for 2014, although with a festival this size it's not really the point, and I've already booked time off work. Tickets are a bargain at ~£75 for two days, and you'll spend next to nothing on food and drink. Check it out.

So yeah, where you going?

• Like 1

Bonnaroo again, most likely. I've heard the headliners will be Justin Timberlake, The Foo Fighters and/or Muse & My Morning Jacket. I don't know how I feel about any of that, save MMJ. I love JT, but I don't know if he'd be a good fit for a headliner.

I'm considering checking out Mountain Oasis, too. This year's line-up was incredible, so I have to atleast consider the possbilitiy.

ArcTanGent is looking most likely at this early stage. Last year had 65daysofstatic, Future of the Left, Fuck Buttons, Bo Ningen, Rolo Tomasi and loads of other cool mathtastic shit, so that's basically right up my alley.

I'm bummed out Hop Farm isn't a thing anymore. The other year I got to see Tom Vek, Athlete and My Morning Jacket and the year before had god damn Prince. But the promoters are shady motherfuckers and they apparently didn't pay anyone a dime the last time it ran, which included Bob Dylan and Bruce Forsyth. Shady fucks.

Bestival's always a possibility but after a pretty shitty line-up last year I'd much rather wait and see who's going to be playing before I throwdown all of the money.

Download looks fucking weak as hell, there isn't a single band I really want to see, sure it'd be cool to see Aerosmith and Status Quo but I won't lose any sleep over missing them. I'm going to need something better than Blink to attract me to Leeds fest too and the rumours of Kanye fucking West doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Can see me just going Bingley or something this year.

I'll have to wait & see this year depending on where I end up in summer. I think my friend's are going to either Beacons or Boomtown, but neither are really my cup of tea. I'll always think about Latitude, if the line-up's good. I'll just have to wait and see really, could be trying to do a lot of film stuff in the summer in London so I'd have to save up as much as possible and that might mean missing a festival this year.

Download looks fucking weak as hell, there isn't a single band I really want to see, sure it'd be cool to see Aerosmith and Status Quo but I won't lose any sleep over missing them.

If you want a metal festival, head to Hellfest in France. They've gone fucking mental this year and the line-up is insane. I'm considering it as a third.

Maiden, Rob Zombie, Queensryche, Therapy?, Slayer, trivium, Sepultura, Turisas, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Status Quo, Skid Row, Buckcherry, A7X, Soulfly, Hatebreed, Monster Magnet, Clutch, Sabbath, Soundgarden, Megadeth, Annihilator, The Misfits.

It's crazy.

CR0X55A.png

NjvW8SX.png

mPIkLUW.png

• Like 1

Truck festival sounds very much like 2000 Trees in Cheltenham which I've been to the last four or five years. Prides itself on picking the best British indie/alt-rock/metal/folk/acoustic acts. Pip/Le Sac headlined once, and Frank Turner has too. Reuben were supposed to in '08 before they split. I go every year regardless of lineup because the atmosphere is always great.

ArcTanGent is looking most likely at this early stage. Last year had 65daysofstatic, Future of the Left, Fuck Buttons, Bo Ningen, Rolo Tomasi and loads of other cool mathtastic shit, so that's basically right up my alley.

I'm bummed out Hop Farm isn't a thing anymore. The other year I got to see Tom Vek, Athlete and My Morning Jacket and the year before had god damn Prince. But the promoters are shady motherfuckers and they apparently didn't pay anyone a dime the last time it ran, which included Bob Dylan and Bruce Forsyth. Shady fucks.

Bestival's always a possibility but after a pretty shitty line-up last year I'd much rather wait and see who's going to be playing before I throwdown all of the money.

I really wanted to do ArcTanGent last year, it's only about half an hour from me, just couldn't get the time off,

In news that only Ollie will maybe care about, I'm going to Plan-It-X Fest again!

Long line-up behind the spoiler.

1. AUSTIN LUCAS
2. BOOGDISH
3. BUSMAN'S HOLIDAY
4. COLBY THE HEART
5. COLOUR ME WEDNESDAY
6. COMMUNITY CURRENCY
7. CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
8. DELAY
9. DOG JAW
10. DOGBRETH
11. DOG PARTY
12. EMPEROR X
13. ERIC AYOTTE
14. GARRETT WALTERS
15. GERD DEMBOWSKI
16. GHOST MICE
17. HARD FEELINGS
18. HARRY AND THE POTTERS
19. HIGH DIVE
20. JAPANTHER
21. KEPI GHOULIE
22. KYLE HALL AND THE KITTEN CRISIS
23. LIPSTICK HOMICIDE
24. LOS GATOS NEGROS
25. MADELINE ADAMS
26. MARTHA (uk pop punk)
27. MITCH THE CHAMP
28. NANA GRIZOL
29. NICE TRY
30. ONSIND (uk folk duo)
31. OPERATION: CLIFF CLAVIN
32. PARASOL
33. PEEPLE WATCHIN
34. PERKIE & THE PERKETTES
35. RADIATOR HOSPITAL
36. RAMSHACKLE GLORY
37. REDBEAR
38. ROMAN CANDLES
39. RUBRICS
40. RVIVR
41. SARA CILANTRO
42. SHARKPACT
43. SHELLSHAG
44. SPOONBOY
45. STREET EATERS
46. SUPER BOBBY
47. SUPER FAMICOM
48. TALL GIRL
49. THE CHERRY ICEES
50. THE MAX LEVINE ENSEMBLE
51. THE WILD
52. TOOTH SOUP
53. WATERCOLOR PAINTINGS
54. WHO NEEDS YOU
55. WILD ASSUMPTIONS
56. YOUR HEART BREAKS

Sooooo psyched for this!

I have heard of precisely none of those bands. Though Harry and the Potters and Japanther are great names.

Harry and the Potters are the original wizard rock band. As in, a band that exclusively plays songs based on Harry Potter. Yeah, that's a genre. They're kinda...shit. I'm not sure how they ended up here, but I'll love it regardless.

I would like to go to one of those folk festivals. They seem like a good laugh. Plus there's a lot less riffraff. That's one of the main reasons I've gone off going to festivals lately.

Last time I went to PIX fest it was so fun! At the time, it was just held in one venue in a college town. This year, they're holding it outside in the woods and the ticket includes camping there. While it was nice to take over a small town (including a super-fun karaoke night with some of the bands at a nearby bar), I'm really looking forward to everyone just being in one place.

• 2 weeks later...

Most definitely going to Roskilde Festival again this year, for a third time in a row. Plus, the line-up is great so far already; Dilated Peoples, Major Lazer, MØ, Nails, Pusha T and Trentemøller are acts I have already put on my list. Then there is stuff like Cyril Hahn, Haim and Systema Solar that I need to check out before heading out.

"OutKast will be playing over 40 festivals worldwide this year, beginning with their headlining appearance at Coachella in April. Other than their June appearance at New York City's Governors Ball, though, the group has not yet revealed where else it will perform."

Over 40 Festivals is absolutely crazy. I am certain they will play Hurricane now. Would fit very well as a Headliner right after Macklemore. Sadly live HipHop often sucks in my ears. I like my ears to be sucked on rather.