Formula One 2014

Lineker

• Admin
Michael Schumacher is showing "small, encouraging signs" in hospital two and a half months after his devastating skiing accident.
The seven-time Formula 1 world champion has been in a coma in a Grenoble hospital since sustaining head injuries when he fell while skiing on December 29 last year.
His management announced in late January that doctors had begun "the waking up process", but no further medical updates had been issued since then.
On Wednesday morning his manager Sabine Kehm released a further statement saying that there was some cause for encouragement.
"We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and wake up," she said.
"There are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient.
"Michael has suffered severe injuries. It is very hard to comprehend for all of us that Michael, who had overcome a lot of precarious situations in the past, has been hurt so terribly in such a banal situation.
"It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael.
"We are taking this fight on together with the team of doctors, whom we fully trust.
"The length of the process is not the important part for us."
Kehm also reiterated the family's appreciation of fans' support, while underlining their need for privacy amid criticism in some quarters over the handling of information about Schumacher's condition.
"It is heart-warming to see how much sympathy his family is shown and I can say that the family is extremely grateful for it," said Kehm.
"However, it should not be forgotten that Michael's family is dealing with an extremely intimate and fragile situation.
"And I would like to remind all of us that Michael has always actively kept his family out of the public eye and consequently protected their private lives."

Any predictions for 2014?

- Nico Rosberg will be Drivers Champion with Lewis, Fernando, Kimi and Vettel completing the top five.
- Mercedes will win the Constructors Championship.
- Red Bull will get themselves together but not quite in time to challenge for either championship. Abu Dhabi will help Vettel get into the top five.
- There will be 6 different winners with Lewis, Nico, Kimi, Feranando, Seb and Jenson standing on the top step.
- Magnussen will grab a podium in his first year but Ricciardo will only be able to manage 4th at best.
- One of Caterham or Marussia will score a point this season, the other won't. I hope it's Kamui.
- Maldonado and Grosjean will both really struggle at Lotus and that car will end up battling Sauber and Toro Rosso outside the top ten.
- Williams will be strong but won't win a race.
- Force India will get a podium.
- There will be more than 10 retirements in one of the first four races.

Less than 10 cars finish in Australia

Vettel doesn't win a race

Massa does

Force India and Williams will battle for 3rd in the constructors behind Mercedes and Ferrari

Double points is scrapped before Abu Dhabi

Raikonnen wins in Monaco

Predictions? Sure, I'll bite:

- Lewis Hamilton has a strong start to the season, winning in Australia, but his momentum peters out after the halfway point of the season
- Either Force India or Williams pick up at least one podium placing
- Alonso & Kimi find themselves constantly racing one another, but manage to avoid taking each other out all season
- Jean Eric Vergne is eclipsed by Daniel Kyvat & is dropped from Toro Rosso at the end of the season
- 10 cars or more don't finish one of the first 4 races of the year
- Tony Fernandez pulls out of F1 at the end of the year, leaving Caterham high and dry

- Red Bull (and specifically Vettel) struggle at the start of the season, but gradually pull things back. Vettel is a contender for the driver's championship but ultimately doesn't win it
- Nico Rosberg has a strong season & ends 2014 as the F1 World Champion, fending off competition from Ferrari, McLaren, Vettel & his own team-mate to win the title

Also, did anyone here from the UK manage to catch BBC's pre-season guide that was on the red button earlier tonight? It did a pretty good job in my opinion. Hopefully it's on the newly revamped BBC iPlayer or something

So the first two sessions of practice are done. just my observations

- Mercedes are very good, I know, no surprise but once they sorted out Hamilton's problem they pretty much dominated P2, look like they have at least 0.3s on both compounds.

- Red Bull has found something, I'm still not sure they'll podium but they pretty much ran the most laps (Vettel did 41 in P2), Ricciardo is about the same place Webber was already.

- Alonso is just a god amongst men, the Ferrari doesn't look like it should be up there but he keeps dragging it up there. Kimi is pretty much nowhere, more than half a second slower

- Lotus are in a LOT of trouble. Maldonado didn't get out there, Grosjean wasn't on the pace and then promptly became Grosjean in trying to catch up (IE: He threw it into a wall)

- Nothing from Caterham I'm afraid, Erickson got 2 installation laps, 1 in each session. Kumui didn't even get that much, just one in P1

- Jenson is going to be a dark horse this year if McLaren can sort their stuff out, the cars just seem to favour his style of driving

Edit: - Oh and since this was my first time hearing them. The new engine noise SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKS!

Edited by Troy Maskell

Yeah, if Mercedes can get both their cars to the finish, they look odds-on for a 1-2. Red Bull have improved but I think their engine worries will hurt them more in Malaysia and China, I can't see Vettel getting on the podium but I now feel that he'll probably get some decent points. McLaren, Ferrari, Force India and Williams all look good aswell to be honest and if some of those cars finish the race, the battle for 5th-10th could be interesting.

Oh and lol, Lotus.

They are carrying real speed into some of the corners but their car still looks down on power on the straights and tricky to drive. I know they managed a lot of laps in practice but I'm not convinced that both cars will finish the race.

And FP3 ends much like FP2 ended, with Pastor Maldonado walking back to the pits away from a broken down Lotus