Formula One 2014

Lineker

What a qualy session. Vettel, Button and Kimi out. Magnificent stuff from Ricciardo and Magnussen, especially Ricciardo though for getting those inters to work. The Merc drivers looked equal, Lewis just managed to get his lap in later, taking advantage of the track drying out.

Special mention to the crowd aswell because you could really hear them when Vettel was knocked out and then when Ricciardo took provisional pole. Don't know if it's to do with the V6's, but still great to hear.

Well worth getting up for.

EDIT: lol, Lotus.

What a qualy session. Vettel, Button and Kimi out. Magnificent stuff from Ricciardo and Magnussen, especially Ricciardo though for getting those inters to work. The Merc drivers looked equal, Lewis just managed to get his lap in later, taking advantage of the track drying out.

Special mention to the crowd aswell because you could really hear them when Vettel was knocked out and then when Ricciardo took provisional pole. Don't know if it's to do with the V6's, but still great to hear.

Well worth getting up for.

EDIT: lol, Lotus.

Bah to all that. Kobayashi made it into Q2!!!!

Nico Hulkenburg dodged a real bullet, I'm sure I wasn't the only one disappointed that he didn't get the Lotus drive, now it looks like the best decision that the Venezuelan government's money made for him. I'm sad for Grosjean as he seems like a good driver and a decent guy, but I won't be losing sleep over Maldonado being at the back.

Hopefully the race will be as exciting as qualifying was, although I fear the Mercedes will head off into the distance quite early on.

Mercedes were so much quicker than everyone today. It might have been exaggerated by Williams starting further down the field or Ferrari electronic problems, but they are very quick and the tyres look good aswell. Gutted for Lewis though.

Impressive stuff from Ricciardo in that Red Bull, I expected him to fall backwards in the race but deserves huge credit for getting on the podium. Always great to see Vettel struggle, especially if he gets past by Chilton in the Marussia.

Magnussen is a star. Great stuff from the Dane and he may turn out to be my favourite driver in the future. Loved his start, especially when the car almost spat him straight into the wall. Good call by the team aswell for Button, they got him in at the right time for both his stops which helped him up the order. McLaren are leading the constructors, who'd have thought?!

Ferrari looked average here and just seemed to be waiting for people to retire. I've heard bits about electrical issues but that doesn't change the fact that Kimi is really struggling with that car.

Bottas looked brilliant, apart from that small hiccup, he seemed to be flying in the opening two-thirds of the race. Unlucky for Felipe, he never does well in Melbourne though and I disagree with what he said about Kamui's incident being the same as Grosjean at Spa '12. Not quite the same, IMO. Oh and poor Claire Williams, she looked a nervous wreck at some stages.

Hulk did another good job for Force India even if I did expect slightly better, especially from Perez, who I completely forgot about until 10 laps from the end. Sauber meanwhile, are nowhere really, not good enough for the top ten but miles clear of the bottom three teams. Special word about Toro Rosso aswell, they looked terrible in practice, somehow got into Q3 and I expected them to really struggle today. But, nice to see them finish in the points.

At the back, Lotus weren't quite as funny today and did a lot more running than I'd hoped really. Still nice to see Grosjean and Maldonado struggling though. I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. Marussia were the laughing stock for me today, seeing both cars pushed off the grid was a particular highlight. Final word on Caterham, they're slow. Really slow.

Great opening race and looking forward to Malaysia.

Worryingly for Sauber, Lotus were pretty well matching them and that's a car that seems held together by sellotape and wishes at the moment.

K-Mag looked brilliant out there. Nice refreshing change of pace to see new names at the front finally too; Nico's probably the most likeable driver of the top teams alongside Button, but Ricciardo is infectiously happy too. Bottas is really starting to show the promise that was there in bits last year too - he was able to stay closest to Rosberg's pace before his whack, so I can see some good finishes for him and Massa in the next couple races hopefully.

Got to think that it all worked out for Hulk too, since avoiding Lotus, Sauber and maybe even Ferrari (dependant on how you judge Kimi as a bass) seems to be going well. Admittedly though it's hard to tell if he either had a good weekend and outperformed the car, or Perez had at worst an anonymous one and underperformed. Chances are that it's the former though.