The 2014 music thread

METALMAN

Night as well get this started, even though there's not really much to get excited about on the horizon. But January is never that good, is it?

Bruce Springsteen is releasing what appears to be an utter dog's breakfast of an album next week. Tom Morello is widdling his RATM guitar all over the top of the E Street Band! I can't think of many things more unappealing.

I guess Sky Ferreira's album is getting a UK release but I've already heard that so it doesn't really count. I still liked it, mind you. Some top quality sad pop music.

Well, I have plenty to be excited for - Noël Akchoté released, what, about three albums at the tail-end of 2013 and is releasing another album, a bigger more solo-ish thing I imagine, January 10th. Then again, Akchote is small-time jazz musician and not a guy usually discussed on here.

I thought so. I never really invested myself in free jazz to any great extent, with the exception of the aforementioned Coleman as well Sun Ra and the later Coltrane and Mingus.

I think when I first heard John Zorn I decided I never wanted to hear any more free jazz ever again.

That Noel Artichoke guy is actually decent enough though.

Also, yay! Sun Kil Moon are landing a new album this year! Super excited for that; everyone who enjoys some quirky folk rock-ish tunes, you should really look closer at thie discocraphy. Both Ghosts of the Great Highway and Admiral Fell Promises are fantastic records.

Anyways, new song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHH-pAYaMEI

So I was in McDonalds this morning and a song came on that I never heard before.

It heavily samples the start of Bittersweet Symphony and features a male vocalist that sounds similar to James Arthur as well as a small rap verse too. The only lyric I noticed was something about "day of redemption" in it.

Still can't find it and just wondering if anybody has any clue what it is, because I can't find it. I'm beginning to think I hallucinated it :P

• 2 weeks later...

What? Amazing. Every EP he has released has been amazing.

Yeah, ever since I heard "Inspecter Norse" the first time, I've tracked down as much as his stuff as I could. And apparently, Bryan Ferry and... another person that I can't recall the name of right now, will guest star on a few tracks.