2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

I honestly think the Texans will go with Clowney or Bridgewater. Maybe Bortles if he has some amazing combine or something, but I doubt it. I see the Jags getting Bridgewater or Bortles, who are both probably better prospects than JF. I think Manziel will find himself in Cleveland or Oakland. Honestly, I could see him doing well in Cleveland since they already have a few good offensive pieces in place.

But he's shortlist among them, for sure. And you have to think that the fans are owed something like this after last season. This is a business after all, and he addresses an area of need.

Sure? I don't understand what your point is unless you're saying that they should draft him simply because he's a bigger "star" than any of the other QBs in the draft and that's dumb.

No, not SIMPLY because he is a bigger star, that is the ENTIRETY of my point. If you're looking to take a QB early (which they should be) then it's a way to make those fine gradations. I don't think Bridgewater has displayed enough at College to be able to demonstrate that he's clearly better. So if you're looking at two QBs of approximately equivalent talent, that's a way to split them.

I don't. Manziel played in a very offensive friendly offense. He had an incredible knack to run away from defenses to make plays, but that doesn't fly as well in the NFL. Johnny Football had an amazing ability to close his eyes and throw the ball downfield and allow his very talented receivers to jump up and make plays. I've watched him play dozens of games and I honestly believe he will not ever be a consistently good professional quarterback.

I could be wrong, but I've not seen him do anything that made me think he's anything more than a great college quarterback.

It feels like the Rams are the real wild card in this whole thing. If they decide they're ready to move on from Bradford they could just as easily stay where they are to get one of the QBs. If that happens, I'd have to assume Manziel, Bridgewater, and Bortles are all off the board in some order, leaving the Browns without one of the top 3 QBs. Based on that, the Browns could very well try to trade their way into the top 3 to ensure they get one of them. I do think the Rams are most likely to go OL though, so trading down seems incredibly likely.

Watch the Rams flip the #2 pick to the panicking Browns, then flip the #4 pick to a team trying to jump ahead of Oakland for Clowney, and then they still get their OL and an absolute shitpile of picks.

I don't think the Rams are going to give up on Bradford just yet. It's a little irrational. He's still got two years left on a pretty good-sized contract(before the new rookie wage scale) and they might as well ride that investment out at least another year. It's not as if Bradford has been Gabbert bad. He's just had some injury issues. Plus, none of these QBs are exactly an Andrew Luck type stud prospect. I do agree that they'll probably trade down to a team that covets Clowney(Falcons maybe?) and get their pick of an offensive lineman provided Houston doesn't take him #1.

I really think Bradford is a good QB. It's the injury thing that's killing him. I have a feeling the Rams will trade down like they did the RGIII draft. Don't think they will get as much but they are really turning into a good team almost by luck with all their drafting.

I didn't buy that Bradford was a franchise QB coming out of college and nothing that I've seen of him in the NFL has disproved that. I don't think his ceiling is much higher than where he's at right now so I'd rather have Manziel or Bridgewater, honestly (I don't know enough about Bortles to say I'd rather have him but...I probably would).

That said, the Rams can feel free to keep thinking he's the answer; I won't complain.

He's almost surely going to be drafted by a team. Now to see how the league reacts to having an openly-gay player.

http://deadspin.com/heres-how-the-nfl-reacted-to-michael-sam-coming-out-1519612068

Brett Favre though has already sent him a dozen picture messages.

• Like 2

Good for him. My personal opinion is that this won't have an effect on where he goes in the draft. GMs will be looking for players that can add something on the field and if they feel Sam can do that, then they will draft him. Its about winning games.

I imagine there are players that won't want him on their team but I imagine when he is drafted if someone is stupid enough to speak out against his presence in the locker room, then it will be the bigot in the unemployment line, not Sam. It takes a lot of balls to announce something like this before the draft and I hope this opens avenues for other LGBT sports people to open up about their own sexual orientation. This was bound to be huge news but hopefully it won't be too long before someone's sexual orientation isn't newsworthy. That should be the goal.