EWB's Favorite Movie 2013: Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

The Oscars are done so it's time for movie rankings and such! Last year The Avengers assembled and crushed everything in its path, but this year I think it's a little more wide open (and I'll keep thinking that until I tally the votes and see something won lopsidedly, probably).

1. You will be fielding a list of your top ten films of the year. Voting, of course, goes like so; list the films from 1 to 10, the show you listed at 1 gets ten points, the show you listed at 2 gets nine points, and so on. That being said, if you didn't watch ten movies (or ten movies you actually liked enough to vote for) feel free to just leave the rest of your ballot blank once you run out. That is totally valid!

2. The films had to be released in their country of origin in 2013. I have no clue what may or may not qualify for that this year. We'll see.

3. You don't need to tell me you've edited your list up until I post saying that voting is closed, because that's when I'll start tallying everything. Then if you really, really want to make a change you should probably let me know.

NOW GET VOTING so we can see what movie joins Inglourious Basterds, Inception, The Muppets, and The Avengers in the winner's circle. My ballot will come once EWB won't automatically absorb it into this post.

1. Her

2. The World's End

3. Gravity

4. American Hustle

5. Nebraska

6. Pacific Rim

7. Inside Llewyn Davis

8. The Wolf of Wall Street

9. 12 Years a Slave

10. Fruitvale Station

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Dallas Buyers Club, Rush

First eight months of the year was pretty dire and then it got really good.

1. Before Midnight
  2. Her
  3. Gravity
  4. Pacific Rim
  5. The Act of Killing
  6. The Kings of Summer
  7. Frozen
  8. The Spectacular Now
  9. Fruitvale Station
  10. Philomena

Honorable mentions: Prisoners, American Hustle, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, The Way, Way Back, Spring Breakers, Mud, 12 Years A Slave, Enough Said, This Is The End, The World's End.

Man, I was so convinced that Before Midnight is going to be like a Top 15, then I saw GoGo's list and now I'm not sure :( 2013 was such a good year for film.

Picking The Wolf of Wall Street or Her to win (leaning more towards Wolf of Wall Street). Those two and 12 Years A Slave are most probably the Top 3 this year, though. This Is The End and Gravity will round up the Top 5.

1. Frozen

2. Monsters University

3. 12 Years a Slave

4. The Butler

5. Captain Phillips

6. Pacific Rim

7. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

And that rounds out the movies I have seen and liked enough to give them points this year.

Booooo, Her was only released three weeks ago in the UK. Can I vote for it anyway?

Yup! Country of origin is deliberately mentioned because of the delayed release dates for the UK and so on.

Man, this was kind of a boring year for film for me. When I look back at the list, there's not a ton of stuff where I think "I loved this, I'd watch it again now!".

I'm glad it's a favorite list, because I wouldn't consider most of the films I'm ranking highly to be the most well made in a lot of respects.

1. Evil Dead

2. The Spectacular Now

3. Kings of Summer

4. Pacific Rim

5. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

6. Frozen

7. Elysium

8. Man of Steel

9. Iron Man 3

10. Wolf of Wall Street

Jeeeeez, I can feel like I'll edit this list a bunch of times to move things up and down.

Thoughts on the placements inside...

Evil Dead seriously blew me away, I didn't expect to love it, but holy fuck, it was so much fun. It's the one film I really want to revisit and still think about all the time. Loved it.

The Spectacular Now hit me pretty hard personally, I can totally relate with the piss poor dad aspect and so it hit close to home. It helps that it was a totally great script with some killer performances.

Kings of Summer was way better than I expected. It's just such a great film that didn't mess up once, there was so much to love about it. The bit with the Snake... man, I was so tense. Really made me care about the characters, which doesn't happen a lot lately.

Pacific Rim it was just awesome. Just a love letter to mechs and anime and all those kind of things and it totally delivered. It wasn't a great film, but it was just so much fun.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire was really, really good. I'm actually in the camp of thinking the first was a better film, but I had a lot of fun watching the second one, despite knowing what was going to happen. It made me want more, which I didn't expect to happen, really.

Frozen is the first non-Pixar animated film that I think I've enjoyed from start to finish. A ton of fun with songs that've stuck for a while now.

Elysium was just fucking cool! It was a really awesome Sci-Fi film that we don't get a ton of lately. It all clicked pretty well and I really enjoyed it. Needed slightly more mech suits, though.

Man of Steel places above Iron Man 3 entirely due to Tony Stark fatigue, but I also thought it was a solid portrayal of Superman. Which I don't think we've seen before now. Really enjoyed it.

Iron Man 3 well, it was a good film. It was. But I'm so burnt out on Tony Stark after four films, I'm glad to have a break from him.

Wolf of Wall Street beat out Don Jon because it was overall a better film with better performances. But holy shit, I'll probably never watch it again. That was a long film.

The films that didn't make the cut include...

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (it just didn't feel complete in the end, despite that wonderful song),

Pain & Gain (a good Michael Bay film is still just a Michael Bay film),

Star Trek Into Darkness (it's good fun, but it just didn't leave a lasting impression),

The Way Way Back (I feel like Sam Rockwell really kind of held this up, everything else was kind of average),

This is the End (it was fun, but I'm more interested in another film like it happening than I am ever watching it again),

The Worlds End (I really hope this holds up better on rewatch, because I couldn't get into it at all),

The Wolverine (enjoyable, but it just wasn't that great),

The To Do List (similar to Way Way Back, but with a few fun performances instead of just the one),

Don Jon (I liked it a lot! Just not as much as the rest),

12 Years a Slave (it was a very, very good oscar film with some amazing performances. I have no desire to ever watch it again, though.)

And last of all, I think Thor: The Dark World is the first Marvel film to not make one of these lists for me. I just didn't care for it much... and I think a lot of that was the script and the directing. It just felt all over the place and had such a boring setting for 90% of the film. So much wasted potential with a Thor film post-Avengers... and that's not even getting into the 70 minutes of Jane Foster we got compared to the thirty seconds of the Warriors Three and the Lady Sif. Easily the weakest Marvel film to date, despite the odd bright spot from Loki or Thor. I liked Incredible Hulk better and I hate Ed Norton.

Also I still haven't seen a ton of the Oscar contenders, so there's that.

Bring on 2014. Let's do this, Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Man there's always a movie like this that makes me go "WELLP NEVERMIND" and then I forget by a year later. I will say that since it was considered eligible for a 2013 Oscar you can count it.

Pretty sure mine won't change, though I'm still to see Philomena which I've got hovering around somewhere.

1. 12 Years a Slave

2. The World's End

3. Side Effects

4. The Act of Killing

5. The Kings of Summer

6. Dallas Buyers Club

7. The Wolf of Wall Street

8. The Way Way Back

9. The Place Beyond the Pines

10. The Evil Dead

Hon mentions: Pacific Rim, Blackfish, Alpha Papa, Trance, Behind the Candleabra, ... just here.

I didn't see a whole lot this year apparently...

1) The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
2) Star Trek: Into Darkness

3) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

4) Iron Man 3

5) The Lone Ranger (I loved this, shut up)

6) Thor 2
7) Anchorman 2
8) Despicable Me 2

9) The Last Stand
10) The Wolverine

Edited by Azazel

1. Her
2. Frozen
3. 12 Years A Slave
4. American Hustle
5. Grudge Match
6. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
7. Captain Phillips
8. Hunger Games: Catching Fire
9. Dallas Buyer's Club
10. Philomena
NOTE: Ruki really likes Thor 2.
EDIT: GoGo also has Her at #1?! AWESOME.
Edited by Carparama
  • Like 1