EWB's Favorite Movie 2013: Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

The actual release wasn't in 2012? That's when I watched it, and it definitely wasn't on a premiere night.

Nope. Official release date in the UK was in January of 2013.

EDIT: Here's the list from IMDB. UK's first entry is for the premier, it's full release is listed near the bottom:

UK 5 December 2012 (London) (premiere) Japan 21 December 2012 Australia 22 December 2012 (limited) Hong Kong 22 December 2012 (limited) Canada 25 December 2012 Spain 25 December 2012 Hong Kong 25 December 2012 Singapore 25 December 2012 USA 25 December 2012 Australia 26 December 2012 Hungary 27 December 2012 Malaysia 27 December 2012 Egypt 2 January 2013 United Arab Emirates 3 January 2013 Czech Republic 3 January 2013 Kuwait 3 January 2013 Lebanon 3 January 2013 Portugal 3 January 2013 Lithuania 4 January 2013 Netherlands 10 January 2013 New Zealand 10 January 2013 UK 11 January 2013 Ireland 11 January 2013

Les Mis was released in the US in December and premiered here first... in 2012. I'm pretty sure it was eligible for last years nominations, there's no reason for it to be eligible two years in a row.

Les Mis counts. I always forget these technicalities once a year passes. I'm going to say that if a movie gets wide release in North America it counts, even if it hasn't premiered in the country the studio is from.

AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

The Purge, Incredible Burt Wonderstone, and Now You See Me have all gotten votes. Dear god. :unsure:

I only saw 10 films last year, and I had to look up and down the 2013 in Film list on Wikipedia so shut up :/

Then only vote for the good ones you saw! Seriously, those are three terrible movies. I can almost forgive Wonderstone because Olivia Wilde, but still. :P

Les Mis was released in the US in December and premiered here first... in 2012. I'm pretty sure it was eligible for last years nominations, there's no reason for it to be eligible two years in a row.

Les Mis counts. I always forget these technicalities once a year passes. I'm going to say that if a movie gets wide release in North America it counts, even if it hasn't premiered in the country the studio is from.

AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Except it is a British film (so the US release is irrelevent), and a premier screening does not equate to a release.

Hopefully I can watch Her, Rush and Nebreska before the votes will be counted but here is my list so far:

1. 12 Years a Slave

2. The Wolf of Wallstreet

3. Gravity

4. Dallas Buyers Club

5. The Kings of Summer

6. Pacific Rim

7. Rush

8. American Hustle

9. Captain Phillips

10. Fruitvale Station

I liked The Purge :( that's why I voted it... Was what it needed to be and it's not like I was expecting greatness when I sat down to watch it but it was a fun movie to watch I though... To be honest I'm looking forward to the sequel as well...

• Like 1

Okay, so, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom is a joint South Africa/UK production - in SA it was released in 2013 and UK in 2014 - which is it eligible for?

I'll assume based on the 12 Years a Slave example that it is eligible for this year rather than next then.

12 Years A Slave was American and released in November, no?

Anglo-American. Yeah, it was released in the States in 2013, but the UK in '14. It is down as eligible for this year, so applied that same logic to Mandela.

1. Stoker

2. Gravity

3. American Mary

4. American Hustle

5. Thor 2

6. You're Next

7. This is the End

8. The Battery

9. Europa Report

10. Catching Fire

It is tough with the release date because so many films are technically released when they hit the festival circuit, but it could be two years before they hit theaters, DVD or VOD. American Mary is considered a 2012 film, but it wasn't available for regular audiences until 2013, soooooo...