Bands That Don't Live Up To The Hype

EndOfAnEra

For me, it was always Nirvana.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them enough. But everyone talks about them like they were some mythological creature that saved music... and I honestly don't even think they were the best band of the original grunge scene. I always found Alice in Chains to be severely underrated by people in that regard.

• Like 5

Last time was a group called Cancer Bats who was opening for GWAR. And everyone was like "man, those guys are great."

No, they weren't. They were the most mediocre-sounding, unintelligible band I ever heard live, and this includes high school bands who could only get gigs at their cousin's birthday parties for free.

They also did the worst possible cover of Beastie Boys' "Sabotage". How bad? If they had not actually said that is what the song was supposed to be, I would have never realized it wasn't just another one of their songs.

• Like 1

Last time was a group called Cancer Bats who was opening for GWAR. And everyone was like "man, those guys are great."

No, they weren't. They were the most mediocre-sounding, unintelligible band I ever heard live, and this includes high school bands who could only get gigs at their cousin's birthday parties for free.

They also did the worst possible cover of Beastie Boys' "Sabotage". How bad? If they had not actually said that is what the song was supposed to be, I would have never realized it wasn't just another one of their songs.

Cancer Bats are good, you menace.

• Like 2

Dragonforce.

Seriously, fuck Dragonforce.

Also, the whole Thrash Metal big four have always seemed far too hyped for how good they actually are.

Bar Metallica, they're all good, they just get the order wrong. It's Anthrax > Megadeth > Slayer > diarrhea > Metallica.

My cousin's ex knew Oli Sykes before Bring Me The Horizon were a thing, he was a massive cunt then apparently.

Anyway Enter Shikari, when I was younger I thought they were just a band that teenage girls like but I know quite a few adult males that really like them. I don't get it.

• Like 1

Just wondering what bands that have been completely hyped up that, when you heard them, you just thought 'what the shit?'

Haim is a big one for me. I kept reading rave reviews of this great all-girl rock group, then I saw them on SNL and thought they were god awful.

Haim is awesome, you shut your goddamn mouth!

For me, it's Vampire Weekend. Someone has got to explain to me why a dude that sings like someone has a high heel resting on his nutsack after he ran a marathon is something people genuinely want to listen to.

• Like 2

My cousin's ex knew Oli Sykes before Bring Me The Horizon were a thing, he was a massive cunt then apparently.

Anyway Enter Shikari, when I was younger I thought they were just a band that teenage girls like but I know quite a few adult males that really like them. I don't get it.

I call them Enter Shitkari, because I am petty like that. :)

As for my choice? Skrillex.

I like the politically charged messages in the majority of their songs.

Oh wait, you said adults. <_<

Because Oli Sykes has a shitty neck tattoo and is a cunt and for some reason chicks dig it and they can easily market them?

Also, the Beatles.

I always thought The Beatles were good, but I don't think their psychedelic bit aged well, at least for me. It just seems like one of those wacky 60's things.

I also thought Led Zep wasn't as good as everyone says. Don't get me wrong, I think their musicianship is unreal, songs are very good, but I feel like The Who was better for like a catchy hook.

A band that is extremely hyped and love by a lot of people, and with my disapproval of it, will make me seem extremely edgy and cool.

Can't dislike anything without being a hipster these days.