Bands That Don't Live Up To The Hype

EndOfAnEra

I like The Killers and Blink (though admittedly they are quite dated) :(

I don't get the hate so many people have for KISS either, but I kind of grew up around their music all of my life.

I like KISS. I don't think they are Earth-shatteringly brilliant, but they write a lot of catchy tunes and put on a good live show.

This second page has devolved from 'bands that don't live up to the hype' to 'here is a popular band who really suck'.

A list of bands/artists I think that don't live up to their hype - the National, Radiohead, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Arcade Fire, Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective.

• Like 1

I don't like Lou Reed/Velvet Underground either, I just never got it.

I also know a guy that swears blind that The Smiths/Morissey were the most influential artists ever and I just don't see it. In fact I'd probably listen to every band listed so far in this thread before The Smiths.

Edit: Just listened to that John Cooper Clarke version of I Wanna Be Yours and yeah Arctic Monkeys missed the point but it was a pretty shit point to miss in the first place. I'd even argue that there's some artistic merit in the juxtaposition of the serious tone to an intentionally terrible love song/poem.

I don't like Lou Reed/Velvet Underground either, I just never got it.

I also know a guy that swears blind that The Smiths/Morissey were the most influential artists ever and I just don't see it. In fact I'd probably listen to every band listed so far in this thread before The Smiths.

Agree with all of this, though the odd Morissey single can be catchy.

I forgot Weezer. Good lord, I really really dislike Weezer. They have some crazy ass fans as well, that think they're the absolute shit and cream of the crop of the 90s alternative rock. I can't stand them, they don't really do anything that stands out. I just don't see anything interesting going on with them, I guess fine if you like them and settle on them as a rock act with catchy tunes, fair to you.

I used to have a friend that played the shit out of the album with Hash Pipe when it came out and I'd usually start sticking ice picks in my ears.

• Like 2

Actually the Arctic Monkeys were one of the bands I was thinking of when I started this thread. I was talking to a buddy from England I met while travelling and I said I just didn't get why everyone loved them so much. He says "well yeah, that's why they say don't believe the hype at the start of their video". I couldn't really disagree with that.

• Like 1

I don't get Iron Maiden or Metallica. My mate was using them headlining Sonisphere as something amazing and that I was crazy if I didn't get a ticket, but I sooner see most of the supporting acts and leave before they started.

• Like 1

Eric Clapton's a big one for me. His stuff with Cream, The Yardbirds, etc. is totally fine, no problem, but ye gods his solo albums are the worst dad rock ever.

It's even on the Unplugged album, "that was a David Bowie song." I think Nirvana has become underrated in recent years, at least in serious music discussions.

The XX, definitely a band I don't get at all.

Oh and just because I live in Cincinnati and the rock radio stations here still play them daily: fucking Sublime. I don't know anyone who actually listens to Sublime, but Jesus Christ, they won't go away.

It might just be a LA thing, but Sublime is really awesome 'cruising the beach/going to the beach' music. The two artists that are LA are Tupac and Sublime. Their hits get played out, but 'Waiting for My Ruca', 'Burritos', and 'Paddle Out' are great songs. I love 'Badfish', too.

Mr Brightside isn't even the best Killers song. In fact it's not even close.

I'm tempted to say 'Tranquilize', but I have a soft spot for 'All These Things I've Done'.

I forgot Weezer. Good lord, I really really dislike Weezer. They have some crazy ass fans as well, that think they're the absolute shit and cream of the crop of the 90s alternative rock. I can't stand them, they don't really do anything that stands out. I just don't see anything interesting going on with them, I guess fine if you like them and settle on them as a rock act with catchy tunes, fair to you.

I used to have a friend that played the shit out of the album with Hash Pipe when it came out and I'd usually start sticking ice picks in my ears.

Earlier Weezer is better. 'The Sweater Song' is good, and 'Buddy Holly' is catchy.

On a side note, I like a few Blink 182 songs, particularly 'Josie', but they're not a great band.

My contribution.. Green Day. 'Dookie' is a great album. 'American Idiot' was their attempt to be The Dead Kennedys, and it fucking failed. Gah, that album.

• Like 1

I can quite happily agree with Green Day.

I've never liked Metallica (or really cared much for Iron Maiden) but that's probably down to the fact that it's a whole genre of music that I don't really listen to or care for, so I can't have a good opinion of it.

Lady GaGa has to be a certainty though (sorry Metalman). I got all annoyed when she was proclaimed the "saviour of electronic pop" or whatever as that IS a genre I have had long-vested interest in. On the poppier end of things, Kylie and Robyn are both better. On the electronic side of things she's a long way down the list.

Tupac.

Also, Paramore also. Whenever we go to the local rock club, they always play female fronted pop-punk music which I always assume is always Paramore because it all sounds like Avril Lavigne.

Mastodon too, actually. I just don't get it.

I really like The Hunter, but apparently that is the album that all their hardcore fans hate as it wasn't 'Mastodon' enough.

Fairly big Mastodon fan here, and I like that album. It is different to their older stuff but it follows their general musical change.

There also isn't really anything to 'get' with them. They play catchy metal with some degree of individual and group skill. No real head scratching. You either like that or you don't really.

• Like 1