Football Manager 2019

Gazz

I have fallen into the lone striker does nothing trap. 

Started a game with Arsenal and neither Lacazette or Aubameyang seem to score as lone strikers. Playing mainly a 4-2-3-1 with an inside forward, winger and advanced playmaker and they're doing diddly squat. Even Aubameyang off the left-hand side doesn't seem to be producing anything, even assists. 

I am 8 games into the season and my top scorer is Nacho Monreal. 

Does anyone managing in the PL find that the majority of teams park the bus and are horrific to play against?

Currently in the Irish First Division, got two big bastards at centre back with decent passing and two small, quick bastards up top and just smashing the ball over the top. I'm calling it Dumnyball.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A good place to start is team report -> comparison. See what your teams strengths and weaknesses are compared to the rest of the division. So for example, using my current game, I saw that they had two incredibly quick strikers but there's not a lot of quality in terms of passing and creativity so I'm playing a counter attacking long ball style.

I still find the transfer AI underwhelming. For example, Hazard to Man Utd - £72m. Lewis Cook to Man City - £83m.

I have had some utterly bonkers transfers. 

Isco went to Man United for £144m. Sadio Mané went to Real Madrid for £150m. Chelsea signed Mauro Icardi for £110m.

Meanwhile, at the Emirates, I signed Miguel Almirón for a hefty £7.5m rising to £11m. He has jumped ahead of Alex Iwobi and Aaron Ramsey in the pecking order for my third central midfield spot as well.

I would say that the difficulty in this version has gone up a bit. On previous games, I would usually walk the league with Arsenal with a far weaker squad than the one we have now. Yet this year I am in a solid battle for 4th place with Manchester United and Tottenham with only 4 points separating us. My main struggle has been scoring goals, I think I have only about 33 goals after about 23 games. I ditched the 4-2-3-1 in favour of a 4-3-1-2 system which has helped to an extent but nowhere near what I would be expecting from the team I have. I've lined up as below:

GK: Leno (SK - S)
DR: Bellerín (CWB - S)
DC: Sokratis (CD - CO)
DC: Mustafi (BPD - D)
DL: Kolasinac (CWB - S)
MCR: Almiron (MEZ - A)
MC: Torreira (DLP - D)
MCR: Xhaka (CM - S)
AMC: Ozil (AM - S)
ST: Lacazette (DLF - A)
ST: Aubameyang (AF - A)

Have them playing fairly narrow on attacking with a slightly higher line of engagement/defensive line. I dominate most matches against smaller opposition at least but cannot seem to put the ball in the net enough. I've had six 0-0 draws in the Premier League to boot.

A match engine annoyance I have noticed is that the majority of penalties are missed. Lacazette and Aubemeyang have missed 4 or 5 between them this season even though their penalty taking and composure traits are fairly high.

On 05/11/2018 at 21:48, Gazz said:

Currently in the Irish First Division, got two big bastards at centre back with decent passing and two small, quick bastards up top and just smashing the ball over the top. I'm calling it Dumnyball.

Its not route one; its direct.

I started a game on the full game as TNS. Got through the Champions League 1st Qualifying Round 4-1 on aggregate against FK Sutjeska Niksic of Montenegro (thus meeting the boards expectation), drew Legia in the 2nd round, 1st leg at home hoping for a respectable result and this happened:

TNS1.png

If I can pull this off, we have AEK in the next round. Though we have an annoying friendly before the 2nd leg that I can't seem to cancel

11 hours ago, hugobomb said:

I started a game on the full game as TNS. Got through the Champions League 1st Qualifying Round 4-1 on aggregate against FK Sutjeska Niksic of Montenegro (thus meeting the boards expectation), drew Legia in the 2nd round, 1st leg at home hoping for a respectable result and this happened:

TNS1.png

If I can pull this off, we have AEK in the next round. Though we have an annoying friendly before the 2nd leg that I can't seem to cancel

Or we could lose 5-1 😒