The Emirates FA Cup 2018/19

Lineker

2 hours ago, MexicoJack said:

It's almost like they're the biggest draw. :shifty:

Instead of appealing to the entire country's football fan base by putting on an interesting the with the spirit of the FA Cup in mind, they pick a game that literally nobody other than Man Utd and Reading fans will watch.

Heaven forbid United's armchair fans can't see one game in a season, instead of the precious TV money going to a smaller club who could really benefit from it.

In all fairness (and I stick by my previous post that I'd be more annoyed if it were the BBC for whom ratings don't matter) I don't think there particularly is that elusive interesting tie that hasn't been picked up already. Man City U18s at home to Rotherham mebbe? Shrewsbury v Stoke perhaps as a potential minor upset? 

5 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Instead of appealing to the entire country's football fan base by putting on an interesting the with the spirit of the FA Cup in mind, they pick a game that literally nobody other than Man Utd and Reading fans will watch.

Heaven forbid United's armchair fans can't see one game in a season, instead of the precious TV money going to a smaller club who could really benefit from it.

How many 'lower league' fans are BT subscribers though?

I would understand if it were on BBC, but BT want as many eyes on their games as possible, and I'm sure Utd-Reading will get them far more than a tie between two L1/L2 sides, so I get their decision, even if the football we're playing is absolutely rubbish.

8 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

It is an interesting tie tbf. Can the plucky underdogs overcome the mighty Reading. :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Baddar said:

How many 'lower league' fans are BT subscribers though?

I would understand if it were on BBC, but BT want as many eyes on their games as possible, and I'm sure Utd-Reading will get them far more than a tie between two L1/L2 sides, so I get their decision, even if the football we're playing is absolutely rubbish.

I don't expect to see, say Preston v Donny on the tele, or Fleetwood v Wimbledon, but there are a few other matches of intrigue involving top flight clubs. Everton v Lincoln, Fulham v Oldham, Gillingham v Cardiff, even Chelsea v Forest (considering Forest dumped out Arsenal last season) have more interest as FA Cup ties to me as a neutral.

How many lower league fans have BT Sport? Well I would say quite a lot, for a start all the National League live games are on BT Sport, and besides that many fans of clubs outside the top league are still passionate regular followers of the Premier League. Football fans are football fans, it's not like a Plymouth or Northampton fan won't be interested in top level football just because their team is in L1/L2.

However, I do take the point that after the 4 obvious ties that have indeed been chosen, the debate of Man Utd's game versus some of the ones I've suggested is more of a toss-up. It's just always, always Man Utd picked for tv no matter who they're playing and I feel like we can almost guarantee now, considering the current state of both teams, that that game with Reading is not going to be one that captures the imagination.

Just now, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I don't expect to see, say Preston v Donny on the tele, or Fleetwood v Wimbledon, but there are a few other matches of intrigue involving top flight clubs. Everton v Lincoln, Fulham v Oldham, Gillingham v Cardiff, even Chelsea v Forest (considering Forest dumped out Arsenal last season) have more interest as FA Cup ties to me as a neutral.

How many lower league fans have BT Sport? Well I would say quite a lot, for a start all the National League live games are on BT Sport, and besides that many fans of clubs outside the top league are still passionate regular followers of the Premier League. Football fans are football fans, it's not like a Plymouth or Northampton fan won't be interested in top level football just because their team is in L1/L2.

However, I do take the point that after the 4 obvious ties that have indeed been chosen, the debate of Man Utd's game versus some of the ones I've suggested is more of a toss-up. It's just always, always Man Utd picked for tv no matter who they're playing and I feel like we can almost guarantee now, considering the current state of both teams, that that game with Reading is not going to be one that captures the imagination.

Yeah but BT are fucking twats. Top of League Three and we have one game on tele. What a load of old Hotspurs that is.

Having already put tickets on sale, our game at Preston has now been moved to the Sunday along with a few others for "overseas TV coverage".

Firstly, who on earth is gonna watch Preston v Donny and Millwall v Hull overseas, and secondly why on earth are they allowed to move all the games around after tickets have gone on sale?

The game's gone, as they say.

3 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Having already put tickets on sale, our game at Preston has now been moved to the Sunday along with a few others for "overseas TV coverage".

Firstly, who on earth is gonna watch Preston v Donny and Millwall v Hull overseas, and secondly why on earth are they allowed to move all the games around after tickets have gone on sale?

Nobody would. The best supported club in London isn't even in the draw! Games gone. What mental would watch Doncaster?

On 07/12/2018 at 19:33, Adam es Tranquilo said:

It's an utter piss take, how many Saturday 3 o'clocks does that actually leave? I was planning on taking my daughter to her first game, coming back after a 5:30 might be too late for that. Pathetic from the FA, and yet another nail in the coffin of the competition. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colly said:

It's an utter piss take, how many Saturday 3 o'clocks does that actually leave? I was planning on taking my daughter to her first game, coming back after a 5:30 might be too late for that. Pathetic from the FA, and yet another nail in the coffin of the competition. 

It's a nightmare, this tweet sums it up for me:

https://twitter.com/BCAFCBH/status/1071092024626036737

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...