Formula One 2019

Lineker

41 minutes ago, Liam said:

By cutting across Hamilton, Vettel stopped him from potentially getting in front.

Plus F1 has had it for about 20 years.

As he should, in a race.

It just gets worse every season, crap like this doesn't help. I used to love F1 but it has become hard, hard work staying interested.

51 minutes ago, Liam said:

By cutting across Hamilton, Vettel stopped him from potentially getting in front.

I initially thought it was a deliberate move, but the cockpit view of Vettel's car shows him doing absolutely everything he could to get out of the way, with the wheel at opposite lock to the left, but the car couldn't react in time. At any non-street circuit this isn't an issue as there would just be a run-off area for Hamilton to go over and pass him, but the wall prevented that.

A lot of people thought Vettel's post-race actions were immature, but I thought it was amazing drama.

As a wrestling fan, I must say that this race sports entertained the everloving shit out of me.

Between K-Mag getting a rightly deserved verbal lashing from Gunther Steiner, to Lando's rear suspension literally melting from the brake heat... To the drama involving Vettel.
F1 Netflix has their promo material for the next season!

Vettel got hard done by, and it's double bitter that Mercedes is the one getting the boon from it. But at the same time it's Vettel that got caught out, had to run onto the grass and then had a quite dangerous re-entry that nearly ended up with both him and Hamilton into the wall. Whether or not he had control over the car or he cut Ham off intentionally, it was a dangerous situation that a skilled driver such as Vettel could've avoided.

The mistake was him losing control, anything that happened then was his responsibility. Again, it fucking sucks, and on other tracks he would've gotten away with it because there'd be run-off for Hamilton to take. But there wasn't, and if it had been any different they both would've been out of the race.
There's also the case to be made that after the incident Hamilton was further away from Vettel than before it, so he did have an advantage from the situation.

(That's all me being devil's advocate, I don't particularly agree with the ruling)

The drama post-race, well I personally loved it as someone that cares for neither drivers or teams. It was one RKO away from becoming full WWE, and Vettel is going to definitely be harder done by when he gets the inevitable fines for not observing proper post-race procedure. (Not parking at the spot, not partaking in the interview, leaving parc fermé, tampering with the position bollards, etc.).

It was brilliant television, and yeah, I loved it as a fan of a bit of genuine sports drama.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's given up, at least on this season, last race probably finished him off. Lewis is likely to be 70+pts ahead of him by the end of the race tomorrow and we're not even halfway through the season.

3 hours ago, Chris2Kay said:

There have been two televised overtakes so far, making this race infinitely better than yesterday's Formula E race.

I don't know what race you watched yesterday, because Lotterer was on a charge. The Bern ePrix was great fun to watch.

5 hours ago, Chris2Kay said:

Lando Norris is going to start 4th tomorrow after grid penalties to Hamilton and Magnussen. It also means four different constructors in the top four grid places for the first time since God only knows.

Hamilton starts 4th apparently so this isn't the case unfortunately.

11 hours ago, Chris2Kay said:

I was confused as to why that was, so I've looked into it, and the whole "grid positions move depending on the time the penalty was given" has left me even more confused.

Be prepared to still be confused after this.

On 24/06/2019 at 00:50, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

The F1 commentator's could learn a thing from the Formula E commentator's: Don't take anything seriously.

The problem I feel with F1 commentary is the same as with WWE commentary, in that everything has to be a moment. They need to shout at everything happening so that it shows up on social media it's this big shocking moment that everyone will get excited by. But all it does really is desensitize you to the point where nothing feels big anymore.

The Formula E guys (Jack Nicholls and Dario Franchitti), but also the Formula 2 guys are a lot more controlled with their energy, which makes action stand out a lot easier.

But like say Michael Cole in the WWE, David Croft is a damn good sportscaster if he's allowed to be more relaxed. His stuff during the free practices is a lot better than during quali and race, but Sky and F1 (like WWE) wants 'EXCITEMENT' and that means shouting like an absolute bellend constantly about the smallest things.

Compare that to the voice everybody knows in Murray Walker, who was all about building a narrative rather than shoving it down your ears, being the emotional side to guys like James Hunt and Martin Brundle adding the veteran knowledge of the sport.

But that's not what 'people' (rd. management) want nowadays, they want those moments of extreme excitement all the time so they can get people excited when they watch some clip on twitter. Even though everybody knows it doesn't work like that.

• Like 1