Sign in to follow this  
Lineklaus

Euro 2020 qualifiers

19 hours ago, Kaney said:

lol

Look, as much as I love low hanging fruit, even I won't go there.

I'd love Scotland in the group stages of a Euros, get Gazza and Hendry out of retirement 

18 hours ago, TCO said:

Would be amazing, especially with us an England hosting games!

Beer sales would be unreal 

Anytime I read about the Euro qualifications, pots, and who must go into a group with who, but only if they qualify, the whole thing seems more fucked than the playoffs in BASEketball 

Let's just have sack races on consecutive Sundays this summer to decide who wins the damn thing. 

• Like 1

Will be going out to watch the Wales game tonight with the flatmate as he's Welsh.

Is it if they win, they qualify automatically or do they go into the playoffs? 

Yep, the game is essentially winner-takes-all. Wales win, they qualify. Hungary win they qualify, and if it's a draw, Slovakia go through if they beat Azerbaijan, as they should.

It isn't complicated at all 

2 hours ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

Anytime I read about the Euro qualifications, pots, and who must go into a group with who, but only if they qualify, the whole thing seems more fucked than the playoffs in BASEketball 

Let's just have sack races on consecutive Sundays this summer to decide who wins the damn thing. 

This is what happens in sports that more than four countries play. 😛

To be fair this whole thing has been more complicated than it usually is, between the weird combined qualifiers with the Nations League and the dozen tournament hosts dictating groups in the finals.

what a lovely bunch.....

Unfortunately unless we beat Denmark then it's impossible

I didnt see the game myself. But my co workers all agreed that Ireland were the better team. 

Edited by DanishmadePunk

I fucking hate to admit it but there is nothing more amazing than the Welsh singing their anthem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDK said:

I fucking hate to admit it but there is nothing more amazing than the Welsh singing their anthem.

I know it is my own, but gives me goosebumps every time 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cymbols said:

I know it is my own, but gives me goosebumps every time 

It makes feel patriotic ffs.

5 hours ago, DanishmadePunk said:

what a lovely bunch.....

What's wrong with that chant? It's funny, witty and topical.

• Haha 1

Really happy for Wales getting to the finals, hopefully at least one more will join them via the playoffs.

Anyone seen the seedings for the draw? The World Champions France are not a top seed 😂

8 hours ago, TCO said:

What's wrong with that chant? It's funny, witty and topical.

I don't like any chants that negatively target individuals, teams or nations, unless perhaps it's someone who's done something particularly horrible. I'd much prefer it if fans just cheered on their own team without being unpleasant towards the opposition.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I don't like any chants that negatively target individuals, teams or nations, unless perhaps it's someone who's done something particularly horrible. I'd much prefer it if fans just cheered on their own team without being unpleasant towards the opposition.

That's how you end up with USA style sterile 'fight and win' chants. There's obviously a line but this isn't even close to it. There's no malicious intent with this, its poking fun at a rumour.

If you go to any football match there's a lot worse than this that's deemed acceptable.

And in fact I'd much prefer something like that over something to someone who's done something 'particularly horrible'. I'm thinking our fans still going back to Adam Johnson chants thinking they're funny.

I love our Wales. Golf. Madrid. Chant that we’ve got - Spanish press are fuming though

• Like 1

I think you can still have fun with chants without targeting the opposition. All teams have their own songs and chants that make for a good atmosphere. I'm just fed up of people acting as if being part of a crowd in a stadium gives them carte blanche to act like pricks.

• Sad 1

Giggs deservesa ton of credit for turning it around.

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I think you can still have fun with chants without targeting the opposition. All teams have their own songs and chants that make for a good atmosphere. I'm just fed up of people acting as if being part of a crowd in a stadium gives them carte blanche to act like pricks.

I generally agree but theres really a line and this doesn't come close to it. 

Mocking Adebayor about the bus shooting is an example of that. The Erikesen thing is just funny. Like the Shelvey chant of 'Harry Potter, he's coming for you', there's a clip of him laughing at it and applauding the West Ham fans, then get applauded back. That shit is gold and adds to the atmosphere!

• Like 1

I should add at this point that I didn't follow the Eriksen/Vertonghen story and thought that there genuinely was an affair. I'm still not a fan of it because the "lad" culture of football annoys me, but it doesn't seem as mean-spirited as I initially thought.