Potential Changes to Mod Making

Gabriel

Should EWB Adopt a Freeware Policy on Mods  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should EWB Adopt a Freeware Policy on Mods

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, MexicoJack said:

Has Genadi even put out anything decent in the last few years? Just seems like someone with a hugely inflated sense of self-importance.

He has. Montreal Screwjob and Montreal Aftermath were really well done as was the 1987 mod. Unfortunately after that the remaining mods that were released such as 2001 and 1998 were lackluster. The other good mods that came from that group were actually done by other people such as Hive and Justxyank. I think people would have a lot less issue with what The Mod Squad has done if they had lived up to their mission statement.

However, the last mod they did was released over a year ago I believe. It took Mammoth, someone who did his mod from scratch and still had a life outside of the boards, roughly one year to do his Shifting Sands mod. There is no reason in the world that it should take 4-5 guys over a year to release a single mod. Their group did absolutely nothing for the growth of the game.

What annoys me even further was up until 2016 it was Genadi who stated that all mods should be freeware. That it was better for the community. That is until he was able to group a bunch of like-minded individuals together and make a powerplay. But there was no agenda according to him which is a bunch of BS in itself. As much as he calls Adam a hypocrite, he's one of the biggest ones in all of this mes

Genadi's mods were probably amongst my favourite, and I've praised them on here in the past. I've made a point in all my criticism of their methods on GDS that I have used their mods, and think they're of good quality.

But I know they have an inflated sense of importance coupled with a bizarre persecution complex about this, and it's all adding up to them carrying themselves like elitist dicks right now, particularly when the majority of users voted in favour of the change to the rules.

And I know they're reading this thread, hi guys.

• Like 1

GDS doesn't even get mentioned that much on here, does it? We certainly aren't "anti-GDS", I know we have members who post on both boards - I myself go on GDS without posting to read about TEW and find stuff out if I need to about the game - and we have plenty of TEW players here, many just prefer the simplicity of EWR which is fair enough.

And there's no way on earth we're anti-Adam. He pops in to answer questions that get raised and I only ever see decent discussion between him and other members.

The only anti-Adam posts I've seen have been on GDS, from people in this Mod Squad apparently, which confuses me because they are prominent internet forum members because they make mods for a game created by...Adam Ryland. 

• Like 1

I wish I knew about something about these non-public mods that supposedly exist. Guess I'm not good enough to be part of the IT crowd any more :shifty:

It's absolutely unbelieveable that Genadi is actively baiting mods to ban Skummy for "consistently breaking the rules" when everything he posits that Skummy has done are actually his own actions. "Spite, jealousy, elitism or just some butthurt reaction to your boards being exposed for what they are" is damn near a perfect summary of this whole ordeal except that the lady doth protest too much.

Surely MrCreative's argument that plagiarised mods are already policed successfully is evidence in support of the rest of Skummy's point about weaker mods falling by the wayside, an point which is supposedly an "incoherent rant"?

The one thing I agree on with Genadi in all of this is that deleting posts is counterproductive, if only because it spurs the "reeeeee, I'm being censored" rhetoric currently being used to defend a petty, selfish argument that has no foundation in reality and only serves to stroke the egos of a group of self-appointed attention seekers.

• Like 1

I like that Genadi's attempt to argue my point that his stance is elitist was to shrug off the suggestion that editing is literally something anyone can do, and that the Mod Squad aren't in any kind of position of privilege for doing it, as "cringeworthy". Utterly lacking in self-awareness.

I don't recall him ever posting on here, but he's got such an insane grudge against this place, to the point that he sees me having been a long-time poster on here as evidence of being part of some grand anti-Genadi plot. He's arguing that there's nothing wrong with the Mod Squad having their own board to post their mods, while criticising EWB for posting mods here and not on GDS, seemingly without recognising the contradiction, and is adamant that there were mods only being posted in "secret forums" on here, which I 100% don't recall ever having been a thing.

The suggestion that secret forums on EWB would ever have anything to do with wrestling game mods is hilarious. This entire website is not dedicated to Ryland games anymore, it hasn't been for years and the wrestling game section is a fairly self-contained arm of the site really.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lanky316 said:

He's seen the secret mods in the secret place hasn't he? In which case we a) need to figure out the username on here and b) now your secret is out need to release them.

Anyway, for A) I think it's Lineker.

I'm sorry but the answer we were looking for is Baddar. It's always -1 for Baddar.

2 minutes ago, Troy said:

Posted by a member of said squad. Very impartial judge, no collusion, bigly.

It would be great if they could point out the reasoning rather than just making the statement. The statement is quite baseless when they can't really give us a reason for believing that.

2 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

The suggestion that secret forums on EWB would ever have anything to do with wrestling game mods is hilarious. This entire website is not dedicated to Ryland games anymore, it hasn't been for years and the wrestling game section is a fairly self-contained arm of the site really.

I literally LOL'ed when I saw that bit. The place that shall not be named has nearly zero to do with wrestling and less than that to do with any of these games.

2 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I literally LOL'ed when I saw that bit. The place that shall not be named has nearly zero to do with wrestling and less than that to do with any of these games.

• Like 3

Also...

Yeah I know because I've seen them and also witnessed the conduct within that section. The constant insulting of GDS members and in particular diary writers. It's clear where you get this idea of elitism from now you've been transparent about being a long time EWB member. It's good to get agendas out in the open.

Again because I saw it with my own eyes many years ago and exposed it for what it was. The mods being shared weren't in the public section and were taken from GDS modders and tweaked but not before insult to that modder was made. 

The hell is he on about? Does he think The Dome is a private section? Because that's the only place I ever see GDS mentioned even somewhat negatively and that's only in regards to the different quality standard of The Dome and why some diaries get closed. I'd like to see some proof that he apparently paid the donation to snoop around in private space to look for mods that the older part of this forum couldn't care less about and actually found some.

I just went to the GDS board to see what all that fuss was about and Jesus Christ, Gennadi and his minions are so full of themselves. Now I remember why I only go on the GDS board when there's a patch for the game to download.

11 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I just went to the GDS board to see what all that fuss was about and Jesus Christ, Gennadi and his minions are so full of themselves. Now I remember why I only go on the GDS board when there's a patch for the game to download.

Get a load of this EWB elitist. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ms. Christmas Drag said:

So genuine question, what are the consequences of using someone else's mod as a base for your own?

Currently, if you don't ask and the original modder has an issue with it, or if they said no and you did it anyways, I believe the links are removed and we flame the person for doing it. I'm not sure if there are any warnings, suspensions or bans that go along with it though.

Most, if not all, of the modders who use EWB as their primary board seem to be cool with sharing their work... and if we put through our change here, making all EWB stuff freeware (within reason) I think we can thrive as a community again.

3 minutes ago, Ms. Christmas Drag said:

So genuine question, what are the consequences of using someone else's mod as a base for your own?

The consequences are being a right cunt.

No, really, I'm not even sure if we technically have a rule on EWB to handle this. Even if we did, the worst that could happen is deletion and a possible ban... But nothing stops you from hosting the mod elsewhere in that case.

Like, realistically, the fuck is Genadi gonna do? Sue someone? Over something he has zero claim of ownership to?

He needs to get off his high horse. The Mod Squad has been a leech off TEW16 since the start. All it's done is intimidate potential new mod makers into not bothering out of fear of reprisal or crossing the big bad Mod Squad.

It takes three seconds for asking permission to use something as a base. Even I've done it in the past. Usually, unless you're Genadi, they're going to say yes anyways as long as your project isn't literally just their own.

If Genadi and the Mod Squad really cared about the community, they wouldn't be making trailers for their mods. They wouldn't be spending years on their mods. They'd be making bases for new mod makers to spring up from, like I suggested we do. They'd be making resources to prop up the community and encourage new mod makers to undertake the task, and make the barrier to entry less steep for those inexperienced. But, no. Instead, they're the ones making all the mods and keeping it within their own territory, and refusing to allow their work as a base if the mod would compete with their own.

They aren't the plucky young indie team  getting crushed by the big dogs. They're Activision-Blizzard.

• Like 1

I have no problem with a rule that credit is given. To me that’s common courtesy. I messaged Genadi over a year ago in an attempt to use his 87 mod as a base for creating an 89 scenario. He wouldn’t respond to me.

I then messaged Matt Shannon (who as far as I.know is not part of the group) regarding his 88 scenario for the same reason and was denied as he was told The Mod Squad was working on one. Apparently they’ve been working on like 8 mods and accomplishing nothing.

• Like 1