All Elite Mods: June 2002 (TEW 16)

Gabriel

I am going to title all mods released by myself, with help from other EWB members, as All Elite Mods. This isn't a swipe at the GDS guys, though, so please don't take it as such. It's a way to distinguish ourselves, it's inspired by the rumored All Elite Wrestling promotion, and it's a nice little way of saying that we want to get back to being the elite when it comes to where to find your mods for TEW games.

EWB was started way back as an official forum for the Extreme Warfare Series, back when we only had three promotions on offer and a user interface that resembled the late 80's. We used to be the place to come for anything and everything Extreme Warfare, from EWD to EWR. The move to the TEW series saw Adam Ryland team up with GreyDog Software (which was fantastic for him) and the moving of the mod community to the GDS boards. We can rebuild. We have the technology.

The poll to decide the first AEM mod saw June 2002 as the winner, doubling its second place threat. It's a great time in wrestling, as NWA:TNA launches its weekly PPV program and gave a lot of us hope that WCW wouldn't be the last competition for WWE. We all know how that's turned out, but TNA had a lot of really big hits in the early years, to go along with some massive misses. It will be fun to see what everyone does with that to try and become competition for the McMahon Empire.

Not only did TNA launch, but the same month saw the very first show from Major League Wrestling. Court Bauer's promotion promised and delivered a hybrid style product that they use to this day, but for many reasons, the initial launch of the company was doomed to fail. Ahead of their time or just not good enough to compete in 2002? MLW should be a fun game for people to play as well.

Ring of Honor had just launched in February of 2002. New Japan Pro-Wrestling wasn't the powerhouse that it is today. Combat Zone Wrestling and Xtreme Pro Wrestling were at war over the Philadelphia territory. NWA Wildside and Ohio Valley Wrestling were busy churning out the stars of tomorrow, who at this point are the stars of today or yesteryear.

There's a lot going on in this time period, and it's going to lead to a lot of great fun.

The first company being added to the game is NWA: Total Nonstop Action. The first beta version released will have them as a playable promotion with their starting roster intact, and anyone who worked for the company in 2002 will be in as free agents. This should allow people playing the beta to get a feel for TNA, and make suggestions on stat tweaks/fixes easier.

***If you would like to be involved in helping to bring this mod to life, there is a list below of tasks that will need to be completed. Any task that is undertaken will be bolded and have the user's name beside it. @Adam es Tranquilo and @Sean O'Game , you mentioned you'd be interested, so I've tagged you in the post to see what you'd like to work on. KJE and The Christmas Fork have been assigned to the tasks that they mentioned in other threads, but if you guys would prefer something else, let me know, or just confirm with me that you're good for what you've been assigned. All tasks are TNA specific, as we will work on one promotion at a time until further notice. So if you're working on Alter Egos, for instance, I will send you the list of workers who are being added to the game, and you can use that to start your research.

Certain tasks, if not completed, will be done by importing the default file that Adam provided with the base game.

Let's change the world... of TEW modding on EWB.

Who is Working on What:

Alter Egos

Angles - @Adam es Tranquilo

Backstage Workers

Broadcasters / Broadcaster Changes - @KJE

Broadcasting Deals

Companies - @Gabriel

Company and Title Pics

Employment Histories - @KJE

End of Year Awards (Historical) - @Naitch

Eras

Event Names

Game World Set-Up

Gimmicks - @Adam es Tranquilo

Hall of Immortals - @Naitch

Injuries

Injury History

Locations - @Rocky Feller Picture Show

Mask and Hair History

Match Types - @Bane

Media Groups - @KJE

Moves and Move-Sets

Narratives - @Bane

Scandals

Teams

Team Names

Titles - @Gabriel

Title Lineage - @The Christmas Fork

Tour Names

TV Show Names

Worker Names

Worker Pics and Agers

Worker Profiles - @The Christmas Fork

Worker Relationships

Workers - @Gabriel

Edited by Gabriel

I can do worker profiles. Throw me a list of workers as you add them and I'll do up some bios. I can also do Title Lineages. I'd say some of these we should import from the default database such as Injuries, Angles and Match Types though we can always add to those as well. Once I get a handle on how much work the two projects I've taken on will be, I might be able to help with more.

I just think if we're going to claim to be "Elite" then we need to try to make sure that things are as complete as possible, even if it'll have little to do with the actual game. Such as Real Life Locations. Though it's a cosmetic thing more than anything, I think we should create a file for this mod that we can continue to add to or take away from for any other timeframe. Same with title lineages. Titles may be retired by June 2002 but I think over time we should add them so that we can basically activate or deactivate depending on what we're working on.

I know it seems like a lot of work, but honestly we can work on it over time and release various iterations of it until we feel like we have a complete product.

I am fully there with you. Anyone who chooses to take on locations, for instance, I would ask them to go through results for whatever company we're working on and add in every place they ran. It's going to get massive, but it's easy to take things out later to create a "Lite Version", if there are players who find that there's just too much going on in the database. I will add you in for title lineage, and I'll send you a DM with the list of wrestlers who will need profiles and the belts that will need their lineage traced.

21 minutes ago, KJE said:

Awesome.

I would also be interested in doing Broadcasters and Media Groups.

Thanks! I will add you to those tasks right now, and will send you the list of workers who will need Employment Histories done up.

Opinion Time!

When I'm adding workers, how would you guys like them in the database? I was originally thinking real names, but then remembered that there are way too many guys whose real name is unknown... so I'm leaning towards putting workers into the database under their debut name, but I'm also open to listing them under whatever name they are most well known by. What do you think?

Edited by Gabriel

I dislike the method of using real names, it gets very difficult very quickly to locate people especially when editing databases. Best known names for me, and with this being a historical mod i agree that making it their best known name by this time is wise.

So, Joel Seanoa should be in as Samoa Joe, but someone like, say, the future Eugene, he should be Nick Dinsmore. Bully Ray should be Bubba Ray Dudley, and so on and so forth.

In terms of what I'm wanting to help with, it's late so I wouldn't like to fully commit to specifics right now but I am definitely up for helping. I would quite like to create a solid base file for both Angles and Gimmicks that could be used for future mods made if that's alright? That's something I'd definitely like to have a go at.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I dislike the method of using real names, it gets very difficult very quickly to locate people especially when editing databases. Best known names for me, and with this being a historical mod i agree that making it their best known name by this time is wise.

So, Joel Seanoa should be in as Samoa Joe, but someone like, say, the future Eugene, he should be Nick Dinsmore. Bully Ray should be Bubba Ray Dudley, and so on and so forth.

In terms of what I'm wanting to help with, it's late so I wouldn't like to fully commit to specifics right now but I am definitely up for helping. I would quite like to create a solid base file for both Angles and Gimmicks that could be used for future mods made if that's alright? That's something I'd definitely like to have a go at.

I will go with the most well known name for that time. So, for instance, I have Bruce (Alan Funk, Kwee Wee, The Funkster, etc) in the database as Kwee Wee, because at the time, he was most well known for his WCW run. Some people remember The Funkster gimmick fondly, but it was something used in WWA, which didn't get much for viewers really, so I went with Kwee Wee.

As far as Angles and Gimmicks? Absolutely, man. If you're down to work on those, that would be awesome. I'd suggest working on a gimmicks file first, so that I can add gimmicks to the workers I've added and will be adding... but I will put you down for both. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Regarding gimmicks, and anyone can veto me on this, but I'd much prefer a streamlined package rather than a pack at nearly 1000 gimmicks with various versions of the same gimmick.

Ie don't so Show Stealer (cocky), Show Stealer (wholesome).

1 minute ago, Rocky Feller Picture Show said:

I’m not sure if TNA ran house shows back in 2002, but it shouldn’t  be hard to find the locations of the weekly PPV and Xplosion shows. As a non-TEW player, I may have mistaken the requirements of this list.

Locations will be easy for TNA. I use Cagematch for most of my research, and they list most of the venues. I wouldn't worry about House Show locations. Just anything used for TV or PPV for the bigger promotions, and then obviously, wherever the events were held for smaller companies like Ring of Honor and Xtreme Pro Wrestling, who didn't really do TV or PPV in the sense that WWE/WCW/TNA/etc all do or did.

12 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Locations will be easy for TNA. I use Cagematch for most of my research, and they list most of the venues. I wouldn't worry about House Show locations. Just anything used for TV or PPV for the bigger promotions, and then obviously, wherever the events were held for smaller companies like Ring of Honor and Xtreme Pro Wrestling, who didn't really do TV or PPV in the sense that WWE/WCW/TNA/etc all do or did.

Ahh ok. I can start with TNA today if you'd like. This way we can have that covered before moving on to others. Am I just doing the locations used in 2002 or should I go beyond that?

13 minutes ago, Rocky Feller Picture Show said:

Ahh ok. I can start with TNA today if you'd like. This way we can have that covered before moving on to others. Am I just doing the locations used in 2002 or should I go beyond that?

First, thanks for helping out! I love that this is picking up steam in the way that Adam Ryland must have intended when he released the game. As Lukie mentioned in another thread, the import feature is there as a way to make it easier by allowing people to pull from other mods. This is awesome that everyone's on board as a community.

Second, if you are comfortable doing the locations beyond 2002, that would be excellent. Originally, I just wanted everything from 2002 to be ready to go for TNA, but beyond 2002 is going to be done at some point anyways.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when you're doing Locations, it would be even better if you can make sure to put the city and state or province in the description.

Edited by Gabriel

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

First, thanks for helping out! I love that this is picking up steam in the way that Adam Ryland must have intended when he released the game. As Lukie mentioned in another thread, the import feature is there as a way to make it easier by allowing people to pull from other mods. This is awesome that everyone's on board as a community.

Second, if you are comfortable doing the locations beyond 2002, that would be excellent. Originally, I just wanted everything from 2002 to be ready to go for TNA, but beyond 2002 is going to be done at some point anyways.

I'll collect what I can for the weekly PPV locations and I'll do Xplosion for however long I can stand the input.

EDIT!!
So ummmm All but the first two of the weekly PPV & all the Xplosion episodes (Up til the last in 2003) were held at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds/TNA Asylum. Is there a preference to what you all prefer to be listed as the location on this one?

• Like 1