All Elite Mods: June 2002 (TEW 16)

Gabriel

For names, use the best judgment and set them as the primary name that they'd use on the indy circuit. For instance Jay Reso should be Christian Cage with a WWE exclusive alter ego of "Christian." A guy like Edge, I'd use Adam Copeland, because there's no way he'd be able to use Edge anywhere else. 

Also, for Bios - I've always liked the concise, almost generic ones like the organic bios in game. 

For Example:

Shelton Benjamin

"Shelton Benjamin is an American professional wrestler, born July 9, 1975. He is best known for his tenure in WWE, as well as his work in ROH, NJPW and NOAH. He has also competed under the ring name "Shelton X Benjamin." In WWE, Benjamin has held the WWE Intercontinental, United States and Tag Team titles. He is perhaps best known for his longtime partnership with Charlie Haas, a championship calibre tandem that has been billed as "The World's Greatest Tag Team" and "Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team"  across various promotions. Prior to entering the professional wrestling industry, he was a two-sport athlete in college; having won an NJCAA championship in both track and field and collegiate wrestling."

Bios are a cosmetic thing that I dont think any mods I use have really got right. The RWC mods are too specific and so many bios seem outdated now, and Who's mods simply don't really use it beyond listing where they're from and when they were born. That method is obviously to save time and I prefer it to the RWC way but I think it is a missed opportunity too.

I think Idol has it exactly right, and they should follow a similar style to how the organic bios work.

I sent a bio to Gabriel to see what he thought of it but I'll post it here as well. This is how I'm looking to do the bios

Ace Steel
Christopher Guy (b. January 25, 1973) - Steel has been a staple of the independent circuit since October of 1991 after training with Windy City Pro Wrestling. He would also go on to work as a trainer and wrestler for St. Paul Championship Wrestling for three years from 1998 to 2001 until the promotion was renamed to Steel Domain Wrestling. He along with friend, CM Punk were both signed to TNA in May of 2002.

Steel has wrestled mostly without a gimmick over his career, allowing his in-ring skills to speak for themselves. At one point early in his career, Steel teamed with Danny Dominion as the L.A Connection and The Hollywood Hardbodies, two pretender Hollywood types who were too good for wrestling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I think Idol has it exactly right, and they should follow a similar style to how the organic bios work.

This. While recording the PWI/WON matches of the year I've written them down in the way that the game would record in-game award winners.

Speaking of, I've gathered PWI and WON award winners of relevant awards into a spreadsheet as a means of determining who "won" what according to the game. Where they differed I've currently got both winners written down but WON seem to have been a lot more scientific in their decisions than PWI's often popularity focused approach. A problem with this arises from where WON have included MMA companies and PWI don't bother with that type of award. I have five remaining categories plus four with gaps where existing awards were made defunct or inactive; any "award winners" before first-time PWI/WON awards are too far back (and too subjective in general) to justify bothering with. Some of the gaps might be worth filling in as Managers and Colour Commentators, for example, haven't been awarded since the 90s, but could easily be voted on, as could the likes of awards which have no basis in real life.

I might check back through past EWB lists to see if any of the remaining categories were voted on.

9 minutes ago, Naitch said:

This. While recording the PWI/WON matches of the year I've written them down in the way that the game would record in-game award winners.

Speaking of, I've gathered PWI and WON award winners of relevant awards into a spreadsheet as a means of determining who "won" what according to the game. Where they differed I've currently got both winners written down but WON seem to have been a lot more scientific in their decisions than PWI's often popularity focused approach. A problem with this arises from where WON have included MMA companies and PWI don't bother with that type of award. I have five remaining categories plus four with gaps where existing awards were made defunct or inactive; any "award winners" before first-time PWI/WON awards are too far back (and too subjective in general) to justify bothering with. Some of the gaps might be worth filling in as Managers and Colour Commentators, for example, haven't been awarded since the 90s, but could easily be voted on, as could the likes of awards which have no basis in real life.

I might check back through past EWB lists to see if any of the remaining categories were voted on.

Haven't done the research into it myself, but I reckon the RSPW awards would probably end up reading like an average between the two: http://rspw.org/awards.html

5 hours ago, Bane said:

I'm down for match types and narratives. 

I will add you onto the list! Thanks for offering to help!

@iDOL , with worker names, I was just using the most commonly known, but I think you're right. Though it would be easier to find BG James listed as The Road Dogg, it would be better to list him as Brian Armstrong so that he doesn't just end up in some random company using the WWE gimmick. Since I've got you here, a while back you allowed me usage of your Ruthless Aggression mod, and I just wanted to make sure that's still okay as that would save us a lot of time in getting most of the workers into the database. Obviously, I'll have to tweak stuff anyways because it's a TEW 13 database I have for your mod, but it's still a massive time saver if you're okay with that.

I love what @The Christmas Fork did with the Ace Steel bio. It hits all the major points and does something else that really bothers me about most mods that do write out bios, in that he's also touched on the character that Steel uses. That's an important piece for me, as I think it will help players be able to more easily use guys that they weren't super familiar with, because they'll have an idea of what kind of character they are.

As for the Historical Awards, @Naitch, it's up to you really. You're the one putting in the time, so I'd say, when you're filling it all out, don't worry too much about searching for past votes or voting on them in the thread. If you get stuck, feel free to ask for opinions in the thread here, but if you look at Manager of the Year for 2000 and you really just wanna put Francine in there because of her late ECW run, that's cool too. When people start playing the beta versions, if there are suggestions on someone who may have been better for the award, we can revisit it then, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, bro. It's not like Hockey where it's easy to look at someone's 45 goals for first in the league and give them the Rocket Richard Award for best goal scorer. Wrestling is all relative.

8 minutes ago, The Christmas Fork said:

I know that it'll be in the actual information of the wrestler when they're entered into the database, but should I include their hometowns in the bios? I'm undecided so I figured I'd pose the question to those who may play it.

I don't think that it's necessary, really. Hometown's don't really play a big factor in most booking. I mean, I guess it would be nice if you wanted to be able to give hometown wrestlers something special to do on a show, but I feel like it's not going to be commonly used. I guess we'll see what other people say here though, because to me, it wouldn't bother me either way.

5 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I will add you onto the list! Thanks for offering to help!

@iDOL , with worker names, I was just using the most commonly known, but I think you're right. Though it would be easier to find BG James listed as The Road Dogg, it would be better to list him as Brian Armstrong so that he doesn't just end up in some random company using the WWE gimmick. Since I've got you here, a while back you allowed me usage of your Ruthless Aggression mod, and I just wanted to make sure that's still okay as that would save us a lot of time in getting most of the workers into the database. Obviously, I'll have to tweak stuff anyways because it's a TEW 13 database I have for your mod, but it's still a massive time saver if you're okay with that.

You have this backwards. You would set him, for example, as The Road Dogg (his most popular name) and set an alter ego as BG James with the alter ego set to appear for everyone but WWE.

Same with Christian. His main name should be the shortened version with an alter ego set to be Christian Cage. 

2 minutes ago, KJE said:

You have this backwards. You would set him, for example, as The Road Dogg (his most popular name) and set an alter ego as BG James with the alter ego set to appear for everyone but WWE.

Same with Christian. His main name should be the shortened version with an alter ego set to be Christian Cage. 

While I am totally open to that idea, I'd like some feedback on it. Even just a couple people's opinions.

What Idol wrote was: For names, use the best judgment and set them as the primary name that they'd use on the indy circuit. For instance Jay Reso should be Christian Cage with a WWE exclusive alter ego of "Christian." A guy like Edge, I'd use Adam Copeland, because there's no way he'd be able to use Edge anywhere else.

So, Idol's idea was to use Brian Armstrong as the default name in the database, with a WWE-specific alter ego of The Road Dogg.

So, what do you guys think? Most popular name as the default, with non-WWE names as alter egos so that guys don't sign with other companies using a trademarked name?

Or option 2 being the default name is the most commonly associated with the worker that doesn't belong to WWE, with WWE names as alter-egos?

Yeah, I guess Road Dogg wasn't a great example, though he never worked the gimmick for a company that WWE actually gave a crap about.

So let's do it that way. Default name is the most popular name the worker used up to June of 2002, and alter egos will be set that will force workers to change their names when wrestling outside of specific companies.

EDIT: Next question is... how does everyone feel about wrestlers with "The" in the front of their name? Personally, I'd prefer to list The Amazing Red, The Road Dogg, The Rock... as opposed to Amazing Red, Road Dogg and Rock... but how do the rest of you feel?

Edited by Gabriel

4 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Yeah, I guess Road Dogg wasn't a great example, though he never worked the gimmick for a company that WWE actually gave a crap about.

So let's do it that way. Default name is the most popular name the worker used up to June of 2002, and alter egos will be set that will force workers to change their names when wrestling outside of specific companies.

EDIT: Next question is... how does everyone feel about wrestlers with "The" in the front of their name? Personally, I'd prefer to list The Amazing Red, The Road Dogg, The Rock... as opposed to Amazing Red, Road Dogg and Rock... but how do the rest of you feel?

I'd comment on this but I didn't even know Red and Dogg had a "The" in front of their names. The Rock, however, I'd definitely include it because just "Rock" doesn't seem right. Same goes for The Undertaker and The Miz. My grey area comes with guys like Khali and Big Show as I'd never include it for Show but I might for Khali.

I don't know why but I see those names as

Amazing Red

Road Dogg

The Undertaker

The Rock

• Like 1

RE: Differences between PWI/WON award winners, I'm happy to put a poll up with both choices and see which one gets more support. Some of them are probably quite clear cut (ex. The Giant or Kenta Kobashi in 1996) but others will be a lot closer.

FWIW, I've pencilled Ric Flair in as Veteran Wrestler of the Year (42+) from 1991 to 2007 :shifty:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

You shouldn't have a blanket rule for that, it depends on the worker. The Rock is his name, never just Rock. It's commonly been The Undertaker for most of his career, I'd say apart from the American Bad Ass era. Road Dogg is just Road Dogg, Amazing Red I'm actually not sure on. Big Show is fine as it is, but it absolutely should be The Miz.

But yes, case by case basis on that one I'd say.

And most commonly known name, so I agree on Edge, Christian, Road Dogg etc. with Adam Copeland, Christian Cage, BG James as alter egos etc.

On the Awards history thing...you can leave them blank if there just wasn't one I believe, then the game will just award one each year of game time you play through. I wouldn't personally have a problem with "Veteran Wrestler of the Year" just left blank.