Worst series finales ever

million$$man

2 minutes ago, C-MIL said:

It was great. I still think Breaking Bad beats it as "best show ever", but The Wire stuck the landing in a way that Breaking Bad couldn't come close to.

Back on the worst tip, I finally got around to watching season two of Wayward Pines this year and it was just one long spiral into overwrought insanity, capped off with a dumb "maybe life can find a way if humans just (literally?) chill out" closing image. I felt like I was watching a children's play and none of the kids were mine.

To be honest, I've never made it past season 3/4 (whichever one ends with them killing the new cook) of Breaking Bad. Not because I didn't like it, it's a great show, just happenstance. I'm firmly on the side of The Wire, though, I love the realism of it, while Breaking Bad has just a touch more absurdity, not a bad thing, but not as much my thing. Pretty much all my favorite series are like that, Wire, Band of Brothers, The Pacific. I'm waaaaaaay off topic now, though.

It wasn't the finale, but I think Dallas deserves special mentioning for, if not inventing, at least popularizing the 'it was all a dream' trope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-MIL said:

It was great. I still think Breaking Bad beats it as "best show ever", but The Wire stuck the landing in a way that Breaking Bad couldn't come close to.

Back on the worst tip, I finally got around to watching season two of Wayward Pines this year and it was just one long spiral into overwrought insanity, capped off with a dumb "maybe life can find a way if humans just (literally?) chill out" closing image. I felt like I was watching a children's play and none of the kids were mine.

IIRC, Wayward Pines biggest downfall was its initial success, much like Under The Dome.

Both were only supposed to be one season and were written and filmed that way, but the network extended after the initial success, so after filming a solid season the producers had to rush and reshoot some scenes to give viewers a proper cliffhanger for the first season and stretch an already thin concept into another season ( With Under The Dome, another 2 seasons). 

23 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

At least Michael C. Hall was involved in what I consider to be the best finale of a TV series ever in Six Feet Under.

That's a great point actually. Hall was in arbuably both the worst and best ever TV finales which is some feat!

Dexter was laughably bad while Six Feet Under turned me into a blubbering mess. HIMYM might edge it though for retconning all their character development in one episode and sending a big fuck you to their fans all at once.

2 hours ago, million$$man said:

IIRC, Wayward Pines biggest downfall was its initial success, much like Under The Dome.

Both were only supposed to be one season and were written and filmed that way, but the network extended after the initial success, so after filming a solid season the producers had to rush and reshoot some scenes to give viewers a proper cliffhanger for the first season and stretch an already thin concept into another season ( With Under The Dome, another 2 seasons). 

I didn't think the first season had a cliffhanger at all. In all honesty, it reminded me a little bit of The Wire's finale.

I never even finished Angel. I dipped out after they aged his son up. I loved it till that point  but for some reason that just set me off. May give it another try.

On 22/12/2018 at 15:28, Blehschmidt said:

then realized they were out of fucking time, and gave us that bullshit.

Just FYI that s not true. The network wanted the show to continue, the show actually went one season over what they wanted to do, which was why you had random episodes like Jack's tattoo origins and the awful Nikki and Paulo.

Also, St Dubb is 100% correct about the flash sideways and what they were. I wasn't the biggest fan of them but I don't think it ruined the show, and it made for a nice finale to me, but to each their own, and I understand why you feel the way you do because for a time I felt similar.

• Like 1

House was great until they decided to split the original team. After that there were good moments, i did have fun with season 4 and i did enjoy the rest of the run, despite the decline in quality. I didn't dislike the ending of him riding into the sunset in itself, just the way it was poorly and lazy written, with Wilson getting cancer out of nowhere, House having to fake his death to not go to jail over tickets on a toilet, for Christ sake... I was kind of hoping they didn't take the easy way out and just make House die, cause that was not just the most expected, but also the easiest way out. And they didn't...but damn, they managed to royally screw it anyway. The problem with the series is that at some point we expect some actual evolution, especially with the House character and not just medical CSI with House not evolving at all just to keep it "different."

Dexter's was awful, Lost was almost the heist of the century, but obviously the heist of the century and worst finale ever was HIMYM. Just...really? Damn...that was the most atrocious thing i've ever seen. I will literally never watch anything else done by Bays and Thomas for as long as I live.

Edit: Also Seinfeld, although I suspect Larry David probably did that on purpose...you know, being that it is Larry David and all...

In no way bad whatsoever. but Farscape's finale was very "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" for those who had followed a fantastic story for four series and before they made the miniseries to finish things up.

They didn't realise that the series was going to be pulled after series 4 and it never should have been, but still, here it is for those who care.

I love tragedy and downers when it comes to storylines and finales so I thought it was an incredibly touching final scene.

2 hours ago, Santa Brady said:

Especially considering some of the reputed leaks on r/freefolk.

I won't be going anywhere near any possible leaks, but I think it goes without saying that the ending will be divisive. George RR Martin has already described the series ending as "bittersweet" long ago, which is always going to lend itself to mixed responses. I'm sure there will be some people on the internet creating petitions to change the ending because that's inevitable with something as popular as this series.

On 22/12/2018 at 12:03, Meacon said:

I'm not too sure what people expected from the Seinfeld finale. It felt right back then and it feels right now. It wasn't a sentimental show, so anything too mushy would have been totally against the whole vibe of the show. It came around full circle that these were incredibly selfish people and ended up paying the price, though the actual law in question is obviously a joke. I never understood the hate it got. What was the alternative? Them becoming successful from the JERRY tv show would have been lame, and them dying in the plane crash would've been a bit morbid for mid-90's tv sitcom. 

As someone who didn’t watch the show until years after it was off the air, I think the Finale was fine.  I think the idea of them ending up in jail worked.

However, I can kinda see why it was so underwhelming for people who were watching it in real-time.  The whole trial was basically a glorified clip show of bringing back people from previous episodes.  On its own that would’ve worked, but they’d already aired an actual hour long clip show before the finale.  So I probably would’ve felt let down too.