Sign in to follow this  
million$$man

Worst series finales ever

2 hours ago, St. Dubb said:

The island was an actual place they were at, it was not purgatory. The flash sideways of the final season was something similar to purgatory for them to all reconnect at once they died over time. So they were not lying when they said that with regards to the island itself. 

It was a fucking lame, cop out ending for an awesome show about a mystical island that moves around, and has polar bears, and electro magnetic hatches, and others, and all of this cool shit. They claimed they had the whole thing mapped out from beginning to end since it started, then they kept asking questions and not giving answers, then realized they were out of fucking time, and gave us that bullshit.

• Like 4

Angel. I'm still pissed at how shitty they ended it. It just ended mid-fight.... I was genuinely surprised it cut to black and the episode ended and even more surprised that was the finale. Genuinely pissed me off and ruined the whole show for me. 

I actually didn't mind Dexter (other than the Deb stuff) ... Didn't like it, but I didn't absolutely hate the thing as much as most seem to. Same with Seinfield.... It was campy, but it's a sitcom. No biggie. Who's the Boss I loved, tbh. I didn't enjoy most of the last season but the ending I thought was a great way to go. 

Another recent one for me is House of Cards. I'm hoping there's more to come as I really enjoyed this last season and would love to see the aftermath of that... I hated that it was a short season and the Claire character is one of my favorites on TV right now, so I'd love to see more. But doesn't look like there will be unfortunately. So I loved the show, I loved where it's at but I hate that its ending that way. 

• Like 2

I'm not too sure what people expected from the Seinfeld finale. It felt right back then and it feels right now. It wasn't a sentimental show, so anything too mushy would have been totally against the whole vibe of the show. It came around full circle that these were incredibly selfish people and ended up paying the price, though the actual law in question is obviously a joke. I never understood the hate it got. What was the alternative? Them becoming successful from the JERRY tv show would have been lame, and them dying in the plane crash would've been a bit morbid for mid-90's tv sitcom. 

I didn't hate the Lost finale, but it was a bit of a letdown. Maybe I would've cared more if I believed in the afterlife? I have no idea. I do feel like they kind of scrambled for an ending after backing themselves into a corner. 

The only finale that I can think of that I actually didn't like was Dinosaurs. It was such a sweet, light-hearted show and I can honestly say I didn't think they'd end the show the way that they did. I'm sure there's something else that I'm not thinking of, but Dinosaurs had the finale that least felt like the other episodes. 

• Like 1

Dexter.

It can literally be no other for me.

At least Michael C. Hall was involved in what I consider to be the best finale of a TV series ever in Six Feet Under.

38 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I'm not too sure what people expected from the Seinfeld finale. It felt right back then and it feels right now. It wasn't a sentimental show, so anything too mushy would have been totally against the whole vibe of the show. It came around full circle that these were incredibly selfish people and ended up paying the price, though the actual law in question is obviously a joke. I never understood the hate it got. What was the alternative? Them becoming successful from the JERRY tv show would have been lame, and them dying in the plane crash would've been a bit morbid for mid-90's tv sitcom. 

I didn't hate the Lost finale, but it was a bit of a letdown. Maybe I would've cared more if I believed in the afterlife? I have no idea. I do feel like they kind of scrambled for an ending after backing themselves into a corner. 

The only finale that I can think of that I actually didn't like was Dinosaurs. It was such a sweet, light-hearted show and I can honestly say I didn't think they'd end the show the way that they did. I'm sure there's something else that I'm not thinking of, but Dinosaurs had the finale that least felt like the other episodes. 

Regarding Dinosaurs, I think ALF ended on a bad note also.

24 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Regarding Dinosaurs, I think ALF ended on a bad note also.

I remember watching ALF, but I don't remember a single thing about it, to be honest. :lol: It's right there with the original Real Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles cartoons. I watched them and was obsessed, but either I was too young, or I'm now too old, to remember a single episode. 

For me with Seinfeld, it was a huge letdown, just because I didnt find it at all funny. It just didnt feel like a Seinfeld episode. I didn't need them all to die or all become successful. I just wanted to laugh just a little. 

3 hours ago, arwrestling said:

Angel. I'm still pissed at how shitty they ended it. It just ended mid-fight.... I was genuinely surprised it cut to black and the episode ended and even more surprised that was the finale. Genuinely pissed me off and ruined the whole show for me. 

I actually didn't mind Dexter (other than the Deb stuff) ... Didn't like it, but I didn't absolutely hate the thing as much as most seem to. Same with Seinfield.... It was campy, but it's a sitcom. No biggie. Who's the Boss I loved, tbh. I didn't enjoy most of the last season but the ending I thought was a great way to go. 

Another recent one for me is House of Cards. I'm hoping there's more to come as I really enjoyed this last season and would love to see the aftermath of that... I hated that it was a short season and the Claire character is one of my favorites on TV right now, so I'd love to see more. But doesn't look like there will be unfortunately. So I loved the show, I loved where it's at but I hate that its ending that way. 

I loved the finale of Angel. The fight never ends that was the point

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Josh to the World said:

In the case of ALF, it wasn’t meant to be the finale. It just got cancelled.

Which is why it wasn't on my list. Otherwise, it and The Lone Gunmen would have been on mine. 

Best series finale for me would have to be Newhart, by the way. Or maybe Star Trek: TNG. Which reminds me....

Star Trek: VOYAGER's finale stunk on ice. For a multitude of reasons. 

16 hours ago, arwrestling said:

13 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I loved the finale of Angel. The fight never ends that was the point

Yeah the end of Angel rocks. 

• Like 1

For finales that we’re actually good, mark me for The Sopranos’ one was actually good.

And Cheers and M*A*S*H, by god.

On 21/12/2018 at 16:37, ClouDelightful said:

House rides off into the sunset on his bike, right? That felt like such a copout.

Also, the Sons of Anarchy series finale always rankles me. 

Wait, you mean SoA doesn't end after season 3 (4?) where they shoot the Irish guy that stole Jax's kid AND the lady cop, then laugh about it in the back of the paddy wagon (wow, I never realized that's a racist term)/police van? I had a dream they went to prison and Opie died, but that was just a dream, right?

21 hours ago, Meacon said:

I remember watching ALF, but I don't remember a single thing about it, to be honest. :lol: It's right there with the original Real Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles cartoons. I watched them and was obsessed, but either I was too young, or I'm now too old, to remember a single episode. 

I was going to feel sorry for you, but then I tried to remember specific episodes of TMNT, and I go like, half of the one where they meet Mondo Gecko, and then my other TMNT memories are buying action figures, playing video games, and comic books. I remember the Ghostbusters cartoon in kinda the same way, just bits of it.

I get what you guys are saying about Dinosaurs, but I'm pretty sure that was part of the set-up the whole time. Aren't there snippets of news broadcasts in the background about stuff starting to happen? It always pops up on click bait type lists.

Best finale for me is The Wire. It's not really anything special, but it's perfect for the show, because it shows how shit never changes, the rich criminals get away, the poor criminals get fucked, and are replaced with new, desperate, fresh faces. The game stays the game.

10 minutes ago, DMN said:

Best finale for me is The Wire. It's not really anything special, but it's perfect for the show, because it shows how shit never changes, the rich criminals get away, the poor criminals get fucked, and are replaced with new, desperate, fresh faces. The game stays the game.

It was great. I still think Breaking Bad beats it as "best show ever", but The Wire stuck the landing in a way that Breaking Bad couldn't come close to.

Back on the worst tip, I finally got around to watching season two of Wayward Pines this year and it was just one long spiral into overwrought insanity, capped off with a dumb "maybe life can find a way if humans just (literally?) chill out" closing image. I felt like I was watching a children's play and none of the kids were mine.

2 minutes ago, C-MIL said:

It was great. I still think Breaking Bad beats it as "best show ever", but The Wire stuck the landing in a way that Breaking Bad couldn't come close to.

Back on the worst tip, I finally got around to watching season two of Wayward Pines this year and it was just one long spiral into overwrought insanity, capped off with a dumb "maybe life can find a way if humans just (literally?) chill out" closing image. I felt like I was watching a children's play and none of the kids were mine.

To be honest, I've never made it past season 3/4 (whichever one ends with them killing the new cook) of Breaking Bad. Not because I didn't like it, it's a great show, just happenstance. I'm firmly on the side of The Wire, though, I love the realism of it, while Breaking Bad has just a touch more absurdity, not a bad thing, but not as much my thing. Pretty much all my favorite series are like that, Wire, Band of Brothers, The Pacific. I'm waaaaaaay off topic now, though.

It wasn't the finale, but I think Dallas deserves special mentioning for, if not inventing, at least popularizing the 'it was all a dream' trope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-MIL said:

IIRC, Wayward Pines biggest downfall was its initial success, much like Under The Dome.

Both were only supposed to be one season and were written and filmed that way, but the network extended after the initial success, so after filming a solid season the producers had to rush and reshoot some scenes to give viewers a proper cliffhanger for the first season and stretch an already thin concept into another season ( With Under The Dome, another 2 seasons). 

23 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

At least Michael C. Hall was involved in what I consider to be the best finale of a TV series ever in Six Feet Under.

That's a great point actually. Hall was in arbuably both the worst and best ever TV finales which is some feat!

Dexter was laughably bad while Six Feet Under turned me into a blubbering mess. HIMYM might edge it though for retconning all their character development in one episode and sending a big fuck you to their fans all at once.

2 hours ago, million$$man said:

IIRC, Wayward Pines biggest downfall was its initial success, much like Under The Dome.

Both were only supposed to be one season and were written and filmed that way, but the network extended after the initial success, so after filming a solid season the producers had to rush and reshoot some scenes to give viewers a proper cliffhanger for the first season and stretch an already thin concept into another season ( With Under The Dome, another 2 seasons). 

I didn't think the first season had a cliffhanger at all. In all honesty, it reminded me a little bit of The Wire's finale.

I never even finished Angel. I dipped out after they aged his son up. I loved it till that point  but for some reason that just set me off. May give it another try.

On 22/12/2018 at 15:28, Blehschmidt said:

then realized they were out of fucking time, and gave us that bullshit.

Just FYI that s not true. The network wanted the show to continue, the show actually went one season over what they wanted to do, which was why you had random episodes like Jack's tattoo origins and the awful Nikki and Paulo.

Also, St Dubb is 100% correct about the flash sideways and what they were. I wasn't the biggest fan of them but I don't think it ruined the show, and it made for a nice finale to me, but to each their own, and I understand why you feel the way you do because for a time I felt similar.

• Like 1

House was great until they decided to split the original team. After that there were good moments, i did have fun with season 4 and i did enjoy the rest of the run, despite the decline in quality. I didn't dislike the ending of him riding into the sunset in itself, just the way it was poorly and lazy written, with Wilson getting cancer out of nowhere, House having to fake his death to not go to jail over tickets on a toilet, for Christ sake... I was kind of hoping they didn't take the easy way out and just make House die, cause that was not just the most expected, but also the easiest way out. And they didn't...but damn, they managed to royally screw it anyway. The problem with the series is that at some point we expect some actual evolution, especially with the House character and not just medical CSI with House not evolving at all just to keep it "different."

Dexter's was awful, Lost was almost the heist of the century, but obviously the heist of the century and worst finale ever was HIMYM. Just...really? Damn...that was the most atrocious thing i've ever seen. I will literally never watch anything else done by Bays and Thomas for as long as I live.

Edit: Also Seinfeld, although I suspect Larry David probably did that on purpose...you know, being that it is Larry David and all...

Game of Thrones finalie is gonna be divisive as fuck.

In no way bad whatsoever. but Farscape's finale was very "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" for those who had followed a fantastic story for four series and before they made the miniseries to finish things up.

They didn't realise that the series was going to be pulled after series 4 and it never should have been, but still, here it is for those who care.

I love tragedy and downers when it comes to storylines and finales so I thought it was an incredibly touching final scene.