What Were Your Favorite Games of 2018?

Ruki

It could be games that came out last year, or even before that... basically, what did you have the most fun playing?

For me, the big one is Octopath Traveler

So much love for this game! The 8 characters are all diverse, it brings back classic turn based RPGs with a twist, the music is outstanding, and it uses the job system which I am obsessed with. While it does have it's downfalls (some of the stories aren't are good as the others, the main boss is hidden behind side quests, limited party interaction)... it's still my top game of the year! And I really hope Square does more with it.

Other big games for me? God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2, obviously. Really enjoying Let's Go Pikachu way more than I thought I would. And Spider-Man is a nice romp. 

Overall? I would say 2018 was a pretty great year for gaming. 

Definitely Red Dead Redemption 2, Americans Truck Simulator and Rocket League. Basically the only games I played all year.

i did have some fun playing around with a few smaller games (For the King, the Reigns games etc) but none really stuck.

The Messenger, This Is The Police 2 (not nearly as good as first tho), and Call of Cthulhu.

Has to be Spider-man, Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War (despite not completing it).

I mentioned it in the Red Dead thread, but Rockstar genuinely created the perfect game world. Other top quality games feel lacking in comparison, what they managed is really quite astonishing.

Spider-Man and RDR2 for me, Super Mario Odyssey might still be the best game I've played all year though even if it was released last year.

Oh yeah, and Smash Bros. Ultimate.

And Detroit Become Human. Please can people mentioning things I've forgotten.

I didn't play Spiderman or God of War, so I can't comment on those. My favourite has been Red Dead Redemption 2, which might also be my favourite game of this console generation. Smash Bros. is a lot of fun too. I've also tried out Astro Bot Rescue Mission on someone else's PSVR unit, and it was fantastic.

I won't make a list for 2018 because, as usual, I haven't been able to play all the games I'd like to. I'm much better placed to compile a selection of best games from previous years, so I might be in a position to put together a 2018 list in a few years.

Celeste and God of War are far and away my favourite games of the year and honestly, they'd likely both place high on my games of all time list. Both are phenomenal for very different reasons and anyone who hasn't played them is doing themselves a massive disservice.

PSVR deserves a massive shout out too, especially because Astro Bot, Tetris Effect and Beat Saber all absolutely blew me away in ways I didn't think was even possible.

Smash Bros Ultimate is everything I wanted it to be, but no one should be surprised at it's quality. It's just wonderful, and by far my favourite Smash ever.

Bunch of great indie games this year with The Messenger, Donut County and Dead Cells far and away the best of the best. All three did some genuinely interesting and genre-busting things that secure their place in my top 10.

Spider-Man was a fantastic love letter to comic books and probably the best superhero game ever made, even if it had a few problems (the MJ bits, a slight over-reliance on collectibles, somewhat repetitive combat). Any other year it could have been a genuine GOTY contender, this year it didn't even make my top 5!

Octopath was a wonderful surprise which I need to get back to. I put about 10-15 hours in but barely scratched the surface, but it's hitting all the same beats that I Am Setsuna hit a few years ago, and deserves every plaudit it gets.

The Spyro trilogy was exactly what 10 year old me wanted it to be, with my biggest compliment being that it looked and felt exactly how I thought it did 20 years ago. In a similar remake vein, Shadow of the Colossus gave me all the same chills it did when I first played it back in the day.

And finally, I did not care for Red Dead Redemption II. I plan on getting back to it at some point but after 15 hours, it didn't grab me at all, and that's a damn shame.

As for my actual top 10? I'd say it looks like this...

1. Celeste 
  2. God of War
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  5. The Messenger
  6. Spider-Man
  7. Tetris Effect
  8. Octopath Traveller
  9. Beat Saber
  10. Shadow of the Colossus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Spider-Man and RDR2 for me, Super Mario Odyssey might still be the best game I've played all year though even if it was released last year.

Oh yeah, and Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I played that and Breath of the Wild earlier in the year, oh man were they good games. I can;'t wait to see what the Zelda team does next with that engine. 

2018 was very much a year where I stopped paying full price for games and, while I built a wishlist that continues now, I only bought off it if the game was heavily discounted or on offer.

For that reason, RDR2 and Farcry 5 are both still to be purchased but will be at some point and both will be enjoyed.

My favourite games of the year are probably:

1. Detroit: Become Human

2. Life is Strange: Before The Storm

3. Until Dawn

4. Kingdom Come Deliverance

5= Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

5= We Happy Few

My favourite VR games since I got it late late 2017 are (I still have about a dozen games I really want to get including Beat Saber):

1. Superhot

2. Statik

3. Tethered

4. Job Simulator

5. Skyrim VR

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

4. Kingdom Come Deliverance

5= Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

I picked up Hellblade during the steam sale and got Kingdom Come for Christmas. Excited to start both of those! Probably not until I finish Spider-Man and Thief (or get bored of that and drop it... it's an ok game, not out of this world.)