the John Wick appreciation thread

livid

Just now, Kaney said:

The sequel didn't seem to really grasp me the same way. It looks really gimmicky but still looks awesome tbh.

I was very underwhelmed by the sequel.

But Lovejoy was in it, so theres that.

2 hours ago, livid said:

In a lot of ways I actually like the second more. I'm all in on the mythology of the universe. 

I kinda felt the first one did a better job of the mythology. Hinting at things but only showing small glimpses of the secret world of assassins made it seem awesome, but the 2nd whipped the sheet off altogether and made it less interesting by showing too much, if that makes sense. The bit at the end where everyone and their dog started targeting Wick was weird as hell.

The first film is absolutely amazing. Honestly. Just amazing. Even on a repeat viewing, it's so good.

The second one is really fun but... It's just not quite as good. I think a lot of the selling point of the first one is how it almost takes you by surprise. The sequel has the problem that we know John Wick and the world and so it has to do more of the same and still be different enough. I enjoyed bits of it like how we learned the structure of this assassin culture and it had Peter Serafinowicz which is a plus.

The world they've built and the work that goes into the action sequences are astounding. I'm sure I'll see the third one. There's certainly a diminishing returns issue.

Nearly every franchise has a case of diminishing returns, it's just how steep the drop is. The second one was great in that everyone knew what was going to happen this time around, we weren't taken by surprise by the stellar action sequences, but it still managed to look full and complete and still was sharp in my opinion. 

I mean, everyone that has replied so far has said how much they loved the second but liked the first. Well, there's nothing wrong with liking a movie even if you didn't like it, it was still an enjoyable time for you. I don't think a third one, especially one that is going to complete the story told in the second one, should be spoken about with any less optimism. I'm sure at the very least most fans of John Wick will have fun watching it.

I really liked John Wick 2. To me, it picked the right stuff to follow up on from the first with the knowledge that there's absolutely no recreating the first one, which is a perfect self-contained story. I'm way into the dumb world they've continued to build and the way they've really leaned in to the video game-y nature of it all. The trailer for 3 looks solid and I'm perfectly fine not seeing another second of footage until I can hit the theaters in May and check it out.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the second one pretty much as much as the first, upon reflection.  I think that, once you've had the first one, the logical thing is to dig deeper into that mythos and unveil a fair bit more of it (which they did). Now, with the main workings of that underworld revealed, the third one could be a straight forward action / survival flick and round things off nicely (hopefully). 

I'm looking forward to chapter 3. I always have fun when I watch the first 2. The first one was the best, but I also like the second one and expect good stuff from the conclusion. The stakes, regarding the story, are high, so it should be interesting to see John Wick vs. "The World." Which is a good place to conclude a series that had those first 2 entries. Now, let's talk about Keanu Reeves being a vampire.

7 minutes ago, livid said:

I wouldn't count on it being the last movie. The director has said they have a million ideas so if people are still interested, they'll keep making them. 

Would not mind, as long as the quality remains. I liked the first 2, the trailer for the third looks interesting. I would not mind more. Did not know about the TV series, though. Is there any date set for it to debut or is it still in early stages of development?

9 minutes ago, Shawn Michaels said:

Would not mind, as long as the quality remains. I liked the first 2, the trailer for the third looks interesting. I would not mind more. Did not know about the TV series, though. Is there any date set for it to debut or is it still in early stages of development?

It's still in early stages of development. Though the announcement was a year ago and there hasn't been much news on it so we'll see.

It would revolve around the Continental hotel.

I've started constructing a fan theory in my head that when John Wick eventually dies he'll be replaced by Shadow Moon and things will get a little bit weirder.

• 2 months later...