2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Yep. I never thought it was about the money for Kaepernick, he always made it seem like it was about actually making a change and proving that the NFL and its owners was in the wrong. Reports are saying that its between $40 and $80 million so I don't blame him, but I've lost respect for him. 

I disagree @livid , @Pooker I think k sums it up pretty well.

He had the chance to have a legal body declare essentially that systemic racism exists in the NFL. 

He can go on in his work of Social Justice, and that's fine and good, but it really feela like he took hush money here.

There is no disagreeing with a fact. The fact is that the lawsuit was to gain the money he lost by having his career taken away from him for kneeling. That's it. Just because you're ascribing more to the lawsuit doesn't make that his problem. 

• Like 5

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that there was a lawsuit and that it was settled with money being exchanged.

At face value, those are, indeed, fact.

However, there is a section of people following this case that supported Kaep in his fight against the NFL. Who were told to "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything " in a major advertising campaign  (which, I suppose, I shouldn't ascribe any meaning to the campaign beyond "Buy Nike"). And who saw Kaep in a position, through this lawsuit, to embarass a major corporation that had/has issues related to systemic racism and suppression of free speech, etc. The outcome of that lawsuit is a settlement that allows the NFL to bury any potential negative consequences/embarrassing evidence. 

He may be satisfied with the outcome of the settlement, which is good for him. But understandably there will be many people who feel he sold out due to the juxtaposition of his message and the terms of the settlement being lots of money for him and little to negative consequence for the league.

As a person, that's not his problem, you are correct but if people feel his social justice message has been undermined by the settlement's terms, I think they are justified in that feeling.

• Like 1

Yeah I saw Sarah Spain and around the horn, not sure what concern trolling is though.

I get that for Kaep, the lawsuit may have simply been about recouping money and not about anything else and that's fine but I'm just saying he had the chance to expose the systemic issues in the NFL while still winning back that potential money that he lost. 

I am disappointed that it came to a settlement because the nfl has a surplus of money, they basically print it off, that won't hurt them like taking the L in a big lawsuit. The end result is the NFL loses some dollars but doesn't have to change the way that it does things.

He may go on to do a lot of good social justice work, that's good, but felt like he had a platform to get some change enacted. The talk of sellout maybe is a bit too far, i cant say i wouldnt do the same in his spot, but I think people being disappointed in this outcome are justified feeling that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMarushin said:

?? What is that? @DMN

the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.

I don't believe the people talking about being disappointed in him for "selling out" genuinely care about the actual issue. They just want to say "See what a hypocrite he is!" Or act like the case not being settled would have changed anything or led to actual change in the NFL. It's not even really about the NFL beyond the collusion which they basically admitted by settling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.

Ahh, got ya, thanks. I am sure there's gonna be some of that with this whole thing, yeah.

I could see the Panthers on a one year deal, especially if Newton is out most or all of next season with that shoulder injury.

With the Patriots, you're basically banking on having Kaepernick sit a year and learning the system, then taking over once Brady retires.  This only works if Brady retires in a year or maybe two.

The lawyer probably tossed out the Panthers as an option due to Eric Reid being on the team. I agree with Lowerdeck, though. A one-year option, maybe. Question is, would Kaepernick be willing to settle for a one-year deal?

But I find it humorous and delusional that he mentioned the Patriots. I also don't see Kaepernick getting along at all with Belichick, and if I remember right Belichick and Kraft weren't exactly fans of him kneeling. Even if he promised not to do it, I don't think they'd sign him. Brady supposedly doesn't plan on retiring until he's 45. 

If not for his girlfriend's tweet, Kaepernick probably would have been the Ravens' starter at some point already.

10 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The lawyer probably tossed out the Panthers as an option due to Eric Reid being on the team. I agree with Lowerdeck, though. A one-year option, maybe. Question is, would Kaepernick be willing to settle for a one-year deal?

But I find it humorous and delusional that he mentioned the Patriots. I also don't see Kaepernick getting along at all with Belichick, and if I remember right Belichick and Kraft weren't exactly fans of him kneeling. Even if he promised not to do it, I don't think they'd sign him. Brady supposedly doesn't plan on retiring until he's 45. 

If not for his girlfriend's tweet, Kaepernick probably would have been the Ravens' starter at some point already.

Nah. If his girlfriend didn't make that tweet the Ravens ownership and front office would have found another way to stop him from getting signed. At the mere mention of it they were getting a lot of angry responses from "fans" and there was, I believe, some military guy who basically told them he'd take them to task if they actually signed him. The tweet thing was a way to shift the blame and try to have it both ways.

16 hours ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

The Pats aren't going to put themselves in a position to have Trump put them on blast.

Of course not, Belichick wouldn't want to upset his favorite president who embodies all those Patriot Way qualities he likes to preach.  Selflessness!  Hard work!  Dedication!   

18 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Of course not, Belichick wouldn't want to upset his favorite president who embodies all those Patriot Way qualities he likes to preach.  Selflessness!  Hard work!  Dedication!   

I want to like this

When you find 45 is disgusting but live in Patriots territory...