2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

RoHitman Reigns

I thought we were good at RB, but hey..

Taking out the off field issues, Hunt is inarguably a top five talent that almost any team in the league would love to have. As long as he is sincere and contrite and not just sorry he got popped, I think he deserves an opportunity to show what kind of man he can be. If this crap happens again, of course throw the guy out on his head.

Here is a statement from GM John Dorsey. Spoilered for size.

Spoiler

DzJXZoYXQAEAAo9.jpg

39 minutes ago, DMN said:

The only real difference between what he did and DV is the relationship between the people. Defending it as it 'wasn't domestic violence though' says a lot about priorities.

Maybe the dude does deserve another shot in a league where fighting for social justice will get you blackballed, but beating another person on camera means you're 'one hell of a value pick-up', doesn't mean I'm not going to call it out for what it is.

I'm not defending it and it's not about priorities. That is the difference and that's a pretty big fucking difference. Equating pushing and kicking out at a woman he's never met is completing downgrading how awful domestic violence is. People are quick to lump any form of aggression towards woman as "domestic violence" when it's a genderless and often invisible crime.

The league is fucked for a large number of reasons. It's just me but I feel people who strive towards rehabilitation and serve their debt deserve a second chance in some instances. I certainly believe Hunt shouldn't be blackballed for the league for what he done. No league punishment will be too severe and he'll get what's coming to him.

Hunt signing is the tip of the iceberg really when there's systematic issues with domestic violence in the league. I just don't see Hunt as one of them and beyond retribution. 

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Good. Better chance he falls to us at #10. 

Better hope he wears stilts to his one-on-one interview with Elway.

Also, fuck the Browns and fuck Kareem Hunt. I am someone who says "hey let's give people second chances" but this mofo is still on his first chance since he's exactly where he would have been had the video not come out except playing for a different team after his inevitable suspension is over.

5 hours ago, TCO said:

I'm not defending it and it's not about priorities. That is the difference and that's a pretty big fucking difference. Equating pushing and kicking out at a woman he's never met is completing downgrading how awful domestic violence is. People are quick to lump any form of aggression towards woman as "domestic violence" when it's a genderless and often invisible crime.

The league is fucked for a large number of reasons. It's just me but I feel people who strive towards rehabilitation and serve their debt deserve a second chance in some instances. I certainly believe Hunt shouldn't be blackballed for the league for what he done. No league punishment will be too severe and he'll get what's coming to him.

Hunt signing is the tip of the iceberg really when there's systematic issues with domestic violence in the league. I just don't see Hunt as one of them and beyond retribution. 

Violence is violence, I don't give a damn about the relationship between the two people, she didn't strike him, she at most used racial slurs towards him, which, while inexcusable in it's own right, does not meet the threshold needed to respond with violence.

I also disagree that Hunt has done ANYTHING that could be considered rehabilitation, considering all I could find was him getting cut and having a NFL suspension. He lied to the Chiefs and then put out a bullshit apology like everyone else. That isn't rehabilitation, that's just keeping your head down. If you have a source on something here (I searched Kareem Hunt atonement, punishment, and apology, found nothing), I'd be happy to see it.

So, yeah, I see no reason why Kareem Hunt deserves to be back in the NFL, the fact that there are worse offenders than him (including, like you stated, Tyreek Hill) is not a reason he should be in the league.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I thought I had read that he had joined AA and is currently in anger management sessions. I’ll see if I can find where I read that in the morning. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/09/kareem-hunt-running-back-chiefs-anger-alcohol-counseling

Now that I found the right words to search for ('anger mangement', which I couldn't quite come up with earlier for whatever reason1), there's this, so it looks like he started that in mid-December, so it looks like he is/was putting in actual work. I'd probably like to see more than, what, six weeks, of it, but it's more than the nothing I claimed.

1 - The reason is marijuana.

• Like 1

There still seems to be a portion of black Twitter that think Kareem Hunt was justified in his actions because the woman called him the n-word.  Like....can we not get into arguments over whether or not domestic violence or racism is a bigger transgression?  Both are terrible, everybody in this situation looks bad and nobody deserves a pass.

• Like 2

• Admin

We're cutting Demaryius Thomas.

Yet, Edelman's broader point is salient. The Patriots do a better job than any coaching staff of coaxing the most out of the 53 men on their roster.

To buffer that point, let's turn to a nugget from The MMQB's Albert Breer. In his Monday column, Breer recounts with the McCourty Twins the importance backup quarterback Brian Hoyer played in preparing the Patriots to face Sean McVay's offense. Hoyer played for Kyle Shanahan in 2014 in Cleveland and again in 2017 in San Francisco, which provided a background for helping slow McVay and the Rams in Super Bowl LIII.

From Breer's column:

Before the Super Bowl, he watched an episode of Peyton Manning's Detail series on ESPN-Plus on Goff, and it hit him right away -- the offense is the same. Looking at the Rams tape confirmed it. Then, he saw an NFL Network interview where Goff and McVay discussed the coach being in the quarterback's ear up until the 15-second play-clock cutoff, which was something Shanahan did with Hoyer. Then, Hoyer went back to Amazon's All or Nothing series on the Rams; it was about the 2016 season but had footage of OTAs from McVay's first spring there. Hoyer recognized the language.

"I guess that's the risk in putting yourself out there like that," Hoyer joked over the phone on Sunday.

The McCourty Twins then go on to detail how Hoyer played a vital role in how the Patriots defense evolved throughout the season, as he would point out how a QB would beat them as a scout quarterback during practice.

Bringing back the point full-circle: If the Patriots weren't going to have an heir to Brady as a backup quarterback, they'd use that position as an extension of the coaching staff, finding value where others might miss. That decision paid dividends on Super Bowl night.

The Patriots aren't exclusive in how they find players, roster-construct or utilize opportunities. They are simply the gold standard.

NFL.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

We're cutting Demaryius Thomas.

NFL.com

I read a report on the Rams subreddit that McVay knew that New England was using a similar defense to the one Chicago shut down LA with from the first snap, which really begs the question 'why didn't you adjust to it'.

The more I read and the more that comes out about the strategy from this game, the more I think that it was a combination of great scheme and play, defensively, by New England, and bad offensive line play from LA that hampered their ability to make adjustments. The Rams are also built off play action, so if they can't run they can't throw as well. I know the Rams had one of the 'best' offensive lines all season, but I think that was where the biggest problem was.

Maybe I'm just trying to block it out of my mind, but I don't remember Goff running many bootlegs, which is what he did all year long. They had him take five step drops and New England just kept rushing upfield right into him. There was so little misdirection which helped make the play calling and execution of those plays equally boring. 

4 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Maybe I'm just trying to block it out of my mind, but I don't remember Goff running many bootlegs, which is what he did all year long. They had him take five step drops and New England just kept rushing upfield right into him. There was so little misdirection which helped make the play calling and execution of those plays equally boring. 

I didn't watch enough of them all season long to really notice, but where they running the bootlegs off play action on the stretch/outside zone to Gurley? That would explain why they didn't, because they couldn't. New England put 5-6 on the line and dared them to throw without being able to play action.

They did use the bootleg off the playaction via the stretch to Gurley. And I know that wasn't working. But that's no reason you can't have a bootleg called to get Goff out of the pocket. He wasn't taking five steps drops all year, because that's not how their offensive line was assembled. That offense was developed to get Goff on the move. 

You can still call rollouts without a playaction (or still call the playaction to keep the D honest). There was no misdirection. It was either a stretch run or Goff taking a five step drop. It was like they thought they'd catch New England off guard by being as simple as possible. 

• Like 1