Sign in to follow this  
RoHitman Reigns

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

I thought I had read that he had joined AA and is currently in anger management sessions. I’ll see if I can find where I read that in the morning. 

11 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I thought I had read that he had joined AA and is currently in anger management sessions. I’ll see if I can find where I read that in the morning. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/09/kareem-hunt-running-back-chiefs-anger-alcohol-counseling

Now that I found the right words to search for ('anger mangement', which I couldn't quite come up with earlier for whatever reason1), there's this, so it looks like he started that in mid-December, so it looks like he is/was putting in actual work. I'd probably like to see more than, what, six weeks, of it, but it's more than the nothing I claimed.

1 - The reason is marijuana.

• Like 1

There still seems to be a portion of black Twitter that think Kareem Hunt was justified in his actions because the woman called him the n-word.  Like....can we not get into arguments over whether or not domestic violence or racism is a bigger transgression?  Both are terrible, everybody in this situation looks bad and nobody deserves a pass.

• Like 2

That's the issue. So many people think everyone is either right or wrong. The possibility of both parties being wrong is lost on some folk. 

• Like 3

We're cutting Demaryius Thomas.

Yet, Edelman's broader point is salient. The Patriots do a better job than any coaching staff of coaxing the most out of the 53 men on their roster.

To buffer that point, let's turn to a nugget from The MMQB's Albert Breer. In his Monday column, Breer recounts with the McCourty Twins the importance backup quarterback Brian Hoyer played in preparing the Patriots to face Sean McVay's offense. Hoyer played for Kyle Shanahan in 2014 in Cleveland and again in 2017 in San Francisco, which provided a background for helping slow McVay and the Rams in Super Bowl LIII.

From Breer's column:

Before the Super Bowl, he watched an episode of Peyton Manning's Detail series on ESPN-Plus on Goff, and it hit him right away -- the offense is the same. Looking at the Rams tape confirmed it. Then, he saw an NFL Network interview where Goff and McVay discussed the coach being in the quarterback's ear up until the 15-second play-clock cutoff, which was something Shanahan did with Hoyer. Then, Hoyer went back to Amazon's All or Nothing series on the Rams; it was about the 2016 season but had footage of OTAs from McVay's first spring there. Hoyer recognized the language.

"I guess that's the risk in putting yourself out there like that," Hoyer joked over the phone on Sunday.

The McCourty Twins then go on to detail how Hoyer played a vital role in how the Patriots defense evolved throughout the season, as he would point out how a QB would beat them as a scout quarterback during practice.

Bringing back the point full-circle: If the Patriots weren't going to have an heir to Brady as a backup quarterback, they'd use that position as an extension of the coaching staff, finding value where others might miss. That decision paid dividends on Super Bowl night.

The Patriots aren't exclusive in how they find players, roster-construct or utilize opportunities. They are simply the gold standard.

NFL.com

• Like 1

Oh, DT :(

I hope he lands somewhere new. And if not, he can always retire somewhere in Pittsburgh due to him owning them.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

We're cutting Demaryius Thomas.

NFL.com

I read a report on the Rams subreddit that McVay knew that New England was using a similar defense to the one Chicago shut down LA with from the first snap, which really begs the question 'why didn't you adjust to it'.

The more I read and the more that comes out about the strategy from this game, the more I think that it was a combination of great scheme and play, defensively, by New England, and bad offensive line play from LA that hampered their ability to make adjustments. The Rams are also built off play action, so if they can't run they can't throw as well. I know the Rams had one of the 'best' offensive lines all season, but I think that was where the biggest problem was.

Maybe I'm just trying to block it out of my mind, but I don't remember Goff running many bootlegs, which is what he did all year long. They had him take five step drops and New England just kept rushing upfield right into him. There was so little misdirection which helped make the play calling and execution of those plays equally boring. 

4 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Maybe I'm just trying to block it out of my mind, but I don't remember Goff running many bootlegs, which is what he did all year long. They had him take five step drops and New England just kept rushing upfield right into him. There was so little misdirection which helped make the play calling and execution of those plays equally boring. 

I didn't watch enough of them all season long to really notice, but where they running the bootlegs off play action on the stretch/outside zone to Gurley? That would explain why they didn't, because they couldn't. New England put 5-6 on the line and dared them to throw without being able to play action.

They did use the bootleg off the playaction via the stretch to Gurley. And I know that wasn't working. But that's no reason you can't have a bootleg called to get Goff out of the pocket. He wasn't taking five steps drops all year, because that's not how their offensive line was assembled. That offense was developed to get Goff on the move. 

You can still call rollouts without a playaction (or still call the playaction to keep the D honest). There was no misdirection. It was either a stretch run or Goff taking a five step drop. It was like they thought they'd catch New England off guard by being as simple as possible. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Meacon said:

If he is sincere about this that makes a big difference to me. It still feels weird that he has another job before even being officially punished for this but if he is really trying to make a change I can't fault him for that

3 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

If he is sincere about this that makes a big difference to me. It still feels weird that he has another job before even being officially punished for this but if he is really trying to make a change I can't fault him for that

My thought is that he really needed time to show that he was willing to get better. Like I don't doubt substance abuse and domestic violence are many times very closely related, and many times treating substance abuse is the key. I don't doubt that anyone in his situation would look in the mirror and figure out what they need to do to get themselves back on the right track, make themselves a better person, and maybe if they're fortunate get their dream of playing in the NFL back. But it's just that it's been 2 months, and I can't envision any scenario where that's enough time. Especially in a culture that football breeds where accountability is non-existent 99% of the time.

If we had this story break in 2020 that the Browns had signed him, and there had been reports that Hunt had taken the time to go through something like AA I'd have a lot more understanding for why he'd get signed. Instead this just looks like a football team doing football things for football reasons and that really doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 2

Antonio Brown has officially requested a trade from the Pittsburgh Steelers, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday:

Former Mississippi State defensive lineman Jeffery Simmons, a projected first-round pick in the NFL draft, suffered a torn ACL in his left knee during training, he confirmed in a tweet:

The NFL combine will be televised on broadcast TV for the first time. ABC will present a two-hour special on March 2 from Indianapolis that will feature drills by quarterbacks and wide receivers. The combine workouts run from March 1-4 and also will be televised by NFL Network. ABC will team with ESPN to televise all three days of the draft, April 25-27 from Nashville, Tennessee.

The first domino falls!

In other news:

Fucking Flacco, really. Go away, John, you drunk.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

Fuck you know how bad Keenum has been when Elway is like " you know what will fix this? Joe Flacco!"

Was in Vegas this weekend, saw the new Raiders stadium being built.  Can't believe how close it is to the strip, I have no idea what they are going to do for parking.

5 minutes ago, Plubby said:

Fuck you know how bad Keenum has been when Elway is like " you know what will fix this? Joe Flacco!"

He wasn't even that bad! Elway's just a dummy. 

31 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Fucking Flacco, really. Go away, John, you drunk.

I saw that and my reaction was “I can’t wait to see what Meacon says”. 

You didn’t disappoint.

• Thanks 1

John Elway is a perfect example of why teams should stop hiring its legendary players into front office roles.  You invariably wind up with people having to call for their childhood heroes to be fired.

Maybe he's hoping that Flacco will turn into Manning for a couple seasons? That Denver will turn into the team that old QBs go to win that final championship and retire?

Him putting his job on the line with hopes of Flacco turning into Manning would be like me quitting my job with hopes of winning the Powerball tonight.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Him putting his job on the line with hopes of Flacco turning into Manning would be like me quitting my job with hopes of winning the Powerball tonight.

ex0rqf4.jpg