2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

RoHitman Reigns

• Lineker changed the title to 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread
  • Lineker unpinned this topic

Not even 24 hours being drafted, Giants 6th rounder Corey Ballentine and his Washburn teammate Dwane Simmons were shot in an off-campus incident.  Simmons was killed.

Jesus, going from the high of being drafted out of a D2 school to dealing with something incredibly traumatic.  He was injured but expected to make a full recovery.  Since he's not under contract he's not yet on the NFL's insurance but I hope the Giants can throw him some financial support.

• Sad 1

One of Yahoo's idiot writers has an article out saying that because Tyree Jackson was projected to be a third round pick but went undrafted, the NCAA should have some sort of second chance rule for players who decide to enter the draft early. Sorry, but I don't believe in giving players who choose to leave college early and enter the draft a second chance. They know the risks of doing so, and if they don't get picked, tough shit. You don't want to be potentially hosed? Then DON'T ENTER THE DRAFT EARLY.

Jackson did sign with the Bills after the draft was over, so it's not like he's totally screwed.

On 27/04/2019 at 20:07, DMN said:

I'm starting to come around on this Raiders draft. Hunter Renfrow is a great pick, the Oakland offense is going to be trouble.

Foster Moreau could develop into a really great tight end. He's super athletic and has experience lining up in multiple spots.

15 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

One of Yahoo's idiot writers has an article out saying that because Tyree Jackson was projected to be a third round pick but went undrafted, the NCAA should have some sort of second chance rule for players who decide to enter the draft early. Sorry, but I don't believe in giving players who choose to leave college early and enter the draft a second chance. They know the risks of doing so, and if they don't get picked, tough shit. You don't want to be potentially hosed? Then DON'T ENTER THE DRAFT EARLY.

Jackson did sign with the Bills after the draft was over, so it's not like he's totally screwed.

I'll never understand this need people have to eliminate second chances for people. Like, how is it a negative if a guy who didn't get drafted and would otherwise have eligibility comes back. Literally hurts no one besides maybe the guy who would have his spot.

15 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Sea bass is retiring. 

For some reason it never sits right when somebody spends their whole career with one team only to end up playing only one season somewhere else before retiring.  Same thing with Jeff Saturday playing the last year of his career in Green Bay.

17 hours ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

For some reason it never sits right when somebody spends their whole career with one team only to end up playing only one season somewhere else before retiring.  Same thing with Jeff Saturday playing the last year of his career in Green Bay.

You think that's weird but have no problem with a guy named Saturday playing hundreds of Sundays and Mondays without issue.

On 29/04/2019 at 10:31, DMN said:

I'll never understand this need people have to eliminate second chances for people. Like, how is it a negative if a guy who didn't get drafted and would otherwise have eligibility comes back. Literally hurts no one besides maybe the guy who would have his spot.

There's absolutely nothing to be lost by them being able to go back to school. Even if you want to stick to the "amateurism" bullshit in the NFL the only guys going undrafted are likely not gonna be signing any lucrative endorsement deals before the draft anyway. I mean it works out that teams sign a ton of UDFAs, but you maybe should get the option if you wish to play another year in college to try and then get that much more lucrative deal by actually getting drafted.

Also, significant to me (and likely a few others) legendary NFL player Gino Marchetti passed away at 92. One of the first truly great defensive ends in history. Arguably the first player ever to rush the QB directly instead of rush through the tackle to get to the QB. All modern ends play the way they do because of Gino. He also made a damn good hamburger.

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

Let the long term injuries begin...

Feel bad for Crowell (who has the best/worst HS highlight tape, go look at it), but he was probably going to back-up Jacobs anyway, so not a huge loss for the team. I hope he makes a full recovery and it doesn't derail his career too badly.