MLB 2019

The Buscher

42 minutes ago, Meacon said:

They need pitching BIG time. They have good pitching prospects but they need Gio Gonzalez or Dallas Keuchel or both or else they’re just a big payroll sitting home in October.

Both Aaron Sanchez and Marcus Stroman could probably be had for the right mix of prospects, if they want to speed up their window for contention. Both guys could probably benefit from a change of scenery too. I think they're both young enough to be important pieces for the Jays when it's time to go all in, but with Sanchez's injury issues and Stroman being so outspoken about how he doesn't feel like the team did enough in free agency, it might be better for the franchise to move on if they can get a good enough return.

Obviously, both guys will need to start the season strong to make that happen, because we're not getting high level prospects for potential bounce back players... but closer to the deadline, they might be of interest to a team like the Padres.

Machado to the Padres is a big surprise. They also made an offer to Bryce Harper, apparently.

Machado is getting paid bigtime, but he'll also be sporting the blandest looking uniform in all of MLB. The Padres' uniforms have been boring for years now. (But the Diamondbacks' are uglier.)

That’s actually part of the headlines:

“Machado signs for $300 million but eww bland uniforms!”

”What is Machado thinking signing for that kind of money when those jerseys are so boring?!”

”Machado moves to beautiful, warm Southern California town for $300 million, but now regrets it because he dislikes navy blue.”

• Like 6

I really like Machado on a 10-year deal with the 5-year opt-out for SD. Tatis is getting called up this year and the rest of the prospects will follow suit in 2020-21. There's a solid 3 or 4 year window they can have to make it happen with a guy like Manny in his prime. It's a great situation to be in. By doing this now instead of 2 or 3 years down the line they also don't run into issues when their young guys become arb eligible. They're likely trusting that Machado will opt-out after year 5 and then sign somewhere else for an amount greater than the 5 years/$150 million he has left. Bit of a risk given he's had 2 knee injuries but they were both years ago.

Surely Harper, despite not being as good and not at as premium of a position, gets more though right? Boras isn't gonna settle for not even getting the biggest contract of the offseason.

12 minutes ago, The Fork Horsemen said:

So who is the most likely when it comes to getting Harper? I've read a multitude of rumors but that doesn't necessarily say who the most likely is.

I'll be surprised if the Phillies don't get him.

Manny to SD is pretty shocking, though. So anything can happen. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Phillies seem to be the frontrunner, but there's been several reports that neither he nor Manny wanted to play here. So if it is the Phillies, they may have to bid against themselves a little bit to entice him to sign. 

Manny also didn't want to play on the west coast.

At the end of the day, money talks. Phillies won't be outbid I suspect. John Middleton has talked the talk for awhile about "stupid money" that I'd be shocked if he doesn't go all-in with Harper. He'll frankly have quite a bit of egg on his face if he doesn't.

I wasn't saying Machado shouldn't have signed with the Padres because of their uniforms. That would be stupid. I was just pointing out that their uniforms suck.

Whoever signs Harper, they'll be paying more than San Diego paid for Machado. They'll also be overpaying.