MLB 2019

The Buscher

On 20/06/2019 at 14:44, Eric Buschenhagen said:

In possibly the worst idea ever, the Rays have asked for and received approval to explore the potential for becoming a two team city with Montreal, with the team playing early season home games in Tampa and the rest in Montreal.

Just move the team to Montreal outright.  People in Tampa don't care about the team now, who the hell is going to care about them if they're only playing there through May?

Playing just about anywhere else would be a better option than Tampa. Except Antarctica, because that's where the Yankees should move.

12 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Playing just about anywhere else would be a better option than Tampa. Except Antarctica, because that's where the Yankees should move.

When did you move to Anatartica?

If they allow the split season, they should be called the Tampa Bay/Montreal X-Rays, and the mascot can be medical machinery.

Honestly, it's just time to move them out of Tampa. The proposal calls for both cities to build new stadiums, though they would each be 66% of the cost that was indicated, instead of one stadium at 100% of the cost. It's just straight up dumb.

What they should do, is formally announce the move to Montreal and keep the first half home games in Tampa Bay until the new stadium is built in Montreal. Then they can just be the Montreal Expos, and happen to play about 40 games or so in Tampa Bay. If the old stadium in Montreal is good enough for Exhibition games, it's good enough for a chunk of regular season action, so long as the new stadium is being built.

Cano hitting a cool .223 with 4 home runs and 16 RBI.  Jay Bruce has more home runs this season than Cano has extra base hits.

I've asked if anybody has been able to point to any particular reason why he's been this bad other without defaulting to his age, but nobody has any other explanation.  You look at the breakdown of what he's done his damage on this year - nearly all off-speed pitches.  He simply can't square up on a fastball anymore.

Everyone knew he'd regress eventually, but look at the numbers he put up last year even after the PED suspension, there was no reason to expect him to completely fall off of a cliff in one offseason just because he went from being 35 to being 36.  And yet he has.

The worst part is it's not even realistic to expect him to "rediscover" his swing or whatever.  His swing mechanics are the same.  His bat is just slow now.  And how many players in their late 30s are willing or able to change the swing that's worked for them their entire career?  Not many.  So yeah...it doesn't seem like there's any reason to think he'll suddenly get better.

34 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Marcus Stroman spoke with the media yesterday and it sounded like he was practically begging to be traded to the Yanks. :lol: 

I am not excited for the reaction of Blue Jays fans when Stroman leaves. I love the guy but people are gonna hate on him so much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I am not excited for the reaction of Blue Jays fans when Stroman leaves. I love the guy but people are gonna hate on him so much. 

I'm with you. I'm a big fan of Stroman. I'm also not an old school baseball "guy", so I like it when the players show emotion or have fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

Cano hitting a cool .223 with 4 home runs and 16 RBI.  Jay Bruce has more home runs this season than Cano has extra base hits.

I've asked if anybody has been able to point to any particular reason why he's been this bad other without defaulting to his age, but nobody has any other explanation.  You look at the breakdown of what he's done his damage on this year - nearly all off-speed pitches.  He simply can't square up on a fastball anymore.

Everyone knew he'd regress eventually, but look at the numbers he put up last year even after the PED suspension, there was no reason to expect him to completely fall off of a cliff in one offseason just because he went from being 35 to being 36.  And yet he has.

The worst part is it's not even realistic to expect him to "rediscover" his swing or whatever.  His swing mechanics are the same.  His bat is just slow now.  And how many players in their late 30s are willing or able to change the swing that's worked for them their entire career?  Not many.  So yeah...it doesn't seem like there's any reason to think he'll suddenly get better.

It seriously may have to do with your analytics department. There’s a reason guys like Voit, Cameron Maybin, and Gio Ursela have come to the Yanks and raked. The players themselves say it’s all to do with the Yanks analytics and how they apply it to their approaches at the plate. 

1 hour ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

I'd imagine confidence plays a part as well

16 minutes ago, Meacon said:

It seriously may have to do with your analytics department. There’s a reason guys like Voit, Cameron Maybin, and Gio Ursela have come to the Yanks and raked. The players themselves say it’s all to do with the Yanks analytics and how they apply it to their approaches at the plate. 

There could be something to that, under Sandy Alderson the Mets only had three people in their analytics department and despite his best efforts, Sandy couldn't convince the Wilpons that analytics were important and so he never got any more hires.  BVW however insisted on a bigger analytics group as part of coming about and they hired five or six people including several who I've heard nothing but good things about like Jared Banner from the Red Sox and Allard Baird from the Royals.

Given the team was stuck in the dark ages analytically, maybe it'll take a long while before any of this stuff makes its way to the field.  But I can just as soon see all of the analytics work falling on deaf ears because Fred Wilpon still doesn't believe in it.

24 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Yeah but Robinson Cano looks more like a ball player than any of those guys. Probably got a better looking girlfriend too so really, how are we gonna know who's gonna be the better ball player?

• Like 1