MLB 2019

The Buscher

I don't mind the wild card game as a punishment for not winning your division but I feel like the team with the worse record should have to win 2 games whereas the team with the better should have to win just 1. Bad teams can beat good teams in 1 game. But doing it twice is hard.

Anyway, it'll be a moot point after the expansion to 4 divisions in each league and the presumably 2 additional wild cards Manfred will want to come with it.

• Like 2

When they expand, I wouldn't do wild cards anymore. I'd have the first place team in each division get a bye... then the second place teams play each other in a Best of Three. Winners of those short series move into the Division Series against the first place teams in a Best of Five... then the League Championship is a Best of Seven, and the World Series is a Best of Seven.

Or, change the format even more by having the top two teams in each division qualify for the playoffs, and then seed it like the NHL used to. AL team with the most wins plays the AL team with the least wins in the first round. 2nd most against 2nd least, and so on. That way, if there's a division that's particularly dominant with their 1-2, it's possible that they meet in the AL Championship Series despite being in the same division. Yankees Vs Red Sox to see who moves on to the World Series would be more fun than Yankees Vs Red Sox to see who makes it to the ALCS.

• Like 1

It won't happen but I'd prefer going back to East/West only.

NL East:
Braves
Expos (Expansion)
Marlins
Mets
Nationals
Phillies
Pirates
Reds

NL West:
Brewers
Cardinals
Cubs
Diamondbacks
Dodgers
Giants
Padres
Rockies

AL East:
Blue Jays
Charlotte Franchise (Expansion)
Indians
Orioles
Rays
Red Sox
Tigers
Yankees

AL West:
Angels
Astros
Athletics
Mariners
Rangers
Royals
Twins
White Sox

Obviously shift things around a bit based on where the new franchises wind up, but yeah.  The Central divisions will lose some of their rivalries but there's no great way around that.

I initially had that in my initial draft, but Montreal would really be the Rays and they'd add another expansion team somewhere else.  Thinking about it though I'm not sure they'd put the two Canadian teams in the same division.

I think Vegas or Portland would be the most likely cities to get teams if they added a team out West, though doing so would require bumping some teams to the East.

2 hours ago, Trent Buschetta said:

I initially had that in my initial draft, but Montreal would really be the Rays and they'd add another expansion team somewhere else.  Thinking about it though I'm not sure they'd put the two Canadian teams in the same division.

I think Vegas or Portland would be the most likely cities to get teams if they added a team out West, though doing so would require bumping some teams to the East.

It's easy to bump a team like Milwaukee or a Chicago to an east division. Manfred will absolutely lobby for an AL Montreal team for the natural rivalry with Toronto. And since they'll be ditching the DH anyway (we can spare ourselves the debate, it's 100% happening) there won't be much of a difference between the leagues anyway.

5 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

It's easy to bump a team like Milwaukee or a Chicago to an east division. Manfred will absolutely lobby for an AL Montreal team for the natural rivalry with Toronto. And since they'll be ditching the DH anyway (we can spare ourselves the debate, it's 100% happening) there won't be much of a difference between the leagues anyway.

Ditching the DH?

Went to a Dollar Tree to pick up a new stylus for my Kindle (I use the type that is an ink pen with the nub where a pencil eraser would be), and the cashier joked about charging me twice because I had a Red Sox hat on. He was wearing a Yankee hat. 

I was wearing this: https://sep.yimg.com/ay/collegefanfare/boston-red-sox-new-era-39thirty-team-front-neo-flex-fit-hat-2.jpg

I also own a 9Forty Red Sox hat, but can't find a pic of it online, for some reason. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/03/02/8c/03028c31bbc76220cd15a7b7473db6a5.jpg  <----Mine is basically that, except mine is navy with a navy button. And except for the navy vents, ALL the stitching is red, not just the stitching on the B.

I'm hoping for Astros/Dodgers, myself. With the Dodgers winning. Last season was the only time I've never been for the Dodgers when they've been in the World Series. (My parents are Dodgers fans.)

All the more reason that the Wilpons have no business running a franchise.  You can eventually overcome crappy players, crappy coaches, or a crappy front office and find the right mix of people.  But you can’t overcome crappy owners who insist on meddling in the baseball operations.

Hopefully I get traded by Wednesday.

• Like 1

There have been rumors that the Jays may hold onto Stroman rather than moving him. I think that would have been a great thing to do a few months ago, because he is young enough that he can fit in with the new core for a few years... but they've probably done too much damage to their relationship with him at this point. I still think Stro goes before the deadline.

If the Mets are interested in moving on from Syndergaard, I hope the Jays are kicking tires there. He's what, 26 now? Lots in the tank still, and has been a dominant arm. A little younger than Stroman, but the big thing would be that he wouldn't have been dicked around by Jays management for the entire season. I can't imagine Stroman, though he loves the city of Toronto and never wanted to leave in the first place, being too happy staying with the circus they've allowed around him this season.