MLB 2019

The Buscher

38 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

There have been rumors that the Jays may hold onto Stroman rather than moving him. I think that would have been a great thing to do a few months ago, because he is young enough that he can fit in with the new core for a few years... but they've probably done too much damage to their relationship with him at this point. I still think Stro goes before the deadline.

If the Mets are interested in moving on from Syndergaard, I hope the Jays are kicking tires there. He's what, 26 now? Lots in the tank still, and has been a dominant arm. A little younger than Stroman, but the big thing would be that he wouldn't have been dicked around by Jays management for the entire season. I can't imagine Stroman, though he loves the city of Toronto and never wanted to leave in the first place, being too happy staying with the circus they've allowed around him this season.

I would love to keep Stroman but I really don't see him staying. He's said he'd love to stay but he's the exact type of guy I'd imagine would want to test free agency. If they can extend him, I'd love to see him stay. He's not old. He's the type of guy they're hoping they get back in a trade. 

5 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I would love to keep Stroman but I really don't see him staying. He's said he'd love to stay but he's the exact type of guy I'd imagine would want to test free agency. If they can extend him, I'd love to see him stay. He's not old. He's the type of guy they're hoping they get back in a trade. 

That's why it blew my mind that they didn't just commit to him before the season started. He's not old, and he's controllable for a couple of more years. Hell, the guy loves the city and the team so much that they could probably have given him a long term deal that ate into his initial free agent years... but I feel like he's probably at the point where he's just too frustrated with Jays management that even if he stayed and re-signed at this point, there would be tension there.

It's insane that he's a trade chip for them, when what they're looking for on the market is essentially Marcus Stroman, or someone who could become a Marcus Stroman.

I do think, though, that if the two sides can work out their issues, re-signing Stroman long-term (even if it's bigger money than they are comfortable with at the moment) would be a great way to prove to the fans and the young players on the team that they are committed to winning... that just because we're developing our young stars at the major league level, it's not excuse for losing, and that they are really trying to put the best players they can around their young core.

I would rather give him a big contract now, and then have to trade him later for a lesser return if it doesn't work out, gambling on the idea that he can sustain his level of performance and help lead this new team into the future... than to trade him now for whatever the best return they can get is, and further handicap the team by removing one of the best pitchers in the game at a time when the biggest issue on the major league team is what? Pitching.

You know what else is silly about not wanting to trade with a team like the Yankees or Astros? If you believe they are more advanced analytically, wouldn't you think that they had done a really good job gathering propsects that are more likely to succeed in the majors?

I don't think Stroman is going to the Astros, but I would be delighted to see what they could do with him if he went there ala Verlander and Cole. 

19 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Rumour is the Jays are asking the Yankees for Gleybar Torres and Deivi Garcia in exchange for Stroman. Always nice to aim the bar reeeeeeeeeeal high. 

I read that they asked for those players separately though, as in, not Stroman for Torres AND Garcia... but Stroman for one or the other.

That said, the Yankees have been looking at Ken Giles as well. I hate trading in-division, but if we can get Torres and Garcia both out of New York, I'd be okay shipping off Stroman, Giles, Sogard, Hudson, Galvis and anyone else that they may want who isn't considered a locked-in piece for the Jays.

I'd even be really excited if we could manage to get JA Happ back from them, because we're going to need major league arms still.

Of course... Garcia is their number one ranked prospect. He's probably not going anywhere. Torres is a really attractive player because of team control, his age, and his output thus far. I can't see the Yankees moving him either, unless the return is ridiculous. Sure, they need pitching help right now (60+ runs against over a six game period, right?), but there are other arms on the market that wouldn't cost them either of those players.

Mets reportedly considering sending Syndergaard to the Padres and then using some of the return to get Stroman from the Blue Jays.

What the fuck sense does that make for the Mets?  Talent wise let's say they're close to a wash, so now you're just trading a guy with two years of control left for a guy with one. 

11 minutes ago, Trent Buschetta said:

Mets reportedly considering sending Syndergaard to the Padres and then using some of the return to get Stroman from the Blue Jays.

What the fuck sense does that make for the Mets?  Talent wise let's say they're close to a wash, so now you're just trading a guy with two years of control left for a guy with one. 

If the Mets want Stroman, but Syndergaard is more likely to head to San Diego to make it happen, that's just dumb on the Jays part. Syndergaard has an extra year of controllable time over Stroman and is a bit younger. Why they aren't in on Syndergaard is just ridiculous if this is true. If New York is willing to move him to acquire Stroman, the Jays should be doing everything they can to make that swap and pick up a legitimate major league arm that fits slightly more in line with the age group of the rest of our core.

Instead, if this happens, Toronto probably ends up with a group of prospects coming back that won't have the same guarantee they could get from just doing the swap and acquiring Syndergaard. Yeah, we have to look a year or two down the road when it comes to acquiring pitching, but there's no reason why they can't be getting someone who will be part of the team at that point, but still be able to contribute at the major league level right now.

This would provide them insurance should they move Wheeler and/or Syndergaard this week.  But I'm terrified about what they gave up since the farm system was already barren to start with.  They will come out of this deal ranked 30th and they'll need to move other people to get any sort of a farm system.

The unfortunate thing is, the Mets have actually played well since the break, but they lost 3 of 4 in San Francisco last weekend, all winnable games.  They win those and I could actually MAYBE endorse buying since the NL Wild Card is in striking distance.  But I'm not convinced this team can actually hang with actual good teams.

12 minutes ago, Trent Buschetta said:

This would provide them insurance should they move Wheeler and/or Syndergaard this week.  But I'm terrified about what they gave up since the farm system was already barren to start with.  They will come out of this deal ranked 30th and they'll need to move other people to get any sort of a farm system.

The unfortunate thing is, the Mets have actually played well since the break, but they lost 3 of 4 in San Francisco last weekend, all winnable games.  They win those and I could actually MAYBE endorse buying since the NL Wild Card is in striking distance.  But I'm not convinced this team can actually hang with actual good teams.

Talk is Pitching Prospects but that hasn't really worked out for Toronto lately.

Stroman's agent called him and probably said "You're going to New York" and his eyes lit up and then his agent said "The Mets have acquired you in a trade" and he broke down into tears.

What's even the point? The Mets are going to be an absolute cellar-dwelling disaster in only a year or two and they've given up even more of an already awful farm system to prolong that or something. I have zero way to justify this unless it's as petty as "We just wanted to stick it to the Yankees and get him instead" in which case, fair play.

If there’s anything positive to say, Kay is 24 years old and the Mets weren’t likely to promote him until the middle of next year, possibly not even 2021 by which point he’d be 26.  But I had really high hopes for SWR.

Still, tough to imagine Toronto couldn’t have gotten more from another team.  They must really love these prospects.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

There was talk over the last few months about Stroman being traded to the Yankees, and he had made a few comments about going "home" to New York. You gotta imagine he's sitting there now like:

giphy.gif

• Like 1